Do You Spend Money On Free To Play Games?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Zyni • Feb 7, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a number of free to play video games online, and you can actually play them for free, but certain things you might like to have will cost you. Do you ever spend money on the extras, or do you just play the free version to the extent that you can? I can only think of a few things that I might actually purchase, and then only if they were very cheap (cheaper than playing a subscription based game, in fact). What about you?

2. Yidna

YidnaNew Member

Threads:
    It's very conditional. I dislike buying vanity items given that they tend to expire after 1-3 months. Of course, that means permanent items are a big seller for me. As for convenience items, if they are decently priced (and I can use them) then I'll go for them.

I don't spend a lot of money on games in general, so whenever I get in-game cash currency, I budget it and only get what I think is 'really' worth it.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I'd rather play with constant disruptions because of free ads, than spend money because in the first place they are supposed to be free. So why would I spend money. Besides, I wouldn't want to spend my money and then waste my time. If I'm going to spend my money, the it should at least because that's gonna save me time.

4. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Nope, never have and never will. I usually try to avoid free to play games on the basis of what they usually stand for, (bombard you with in-game purchases, forced to be connected online, and ultimately if the game shuts down its service, the game is gone).

I would rather pay a one time fee for a game I will be able to play years down the road if I so choose.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the best of the best in F2P games, I'll spend a few bucks here and there to support the developers more than anything else. I won't make a single purchase in terrible games or those that hit you too hard with the in-app purchases. There's a line at which all of that in-game advertising or the need to purchase something to progress just annoys me too much.

6. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    This is a very timely thread for me. I was on the edge of buying some "gems" just to get ahead of some other players.. but something has prevented me.. LOL. I think its the SMS I received on my mobile phone reminding me that my credit card payment is due. LOL. Honestly, I WILL NOT.. and will never buy app-in purchases on any games. Those apps are meant to kill some time and boredom.. not your wallet.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I've spend money on cosmetics for Valve games like CS:GO and DotA 2. The reason for this is that you can sell them back on the Community Market for funds should you tire of the cosmetics, hence you actually lose very little money. If you make the right investments you could even end up with more Steam Wallet than you started with, which translates into free games.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a news story a year back that touched on this. A kid grabbed his parent's phone and spent $2500 paying for weapon upgrades and that kind of stuff in only a few minutes. From the time I read that story and realized that unlike kids, adults can [also] get addicted to paying for such stuff. I vowed never to spend money on any fancy extras. If I can't do without them, heck I'll find another better game to play.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do that. I generally dislike games that offer a 'pay to win' scheme where only those players who can pay for the better weapons/items are the only ones that are going on top of the food chain. You're not rewarded for your skills as a player but rather your ability to throw in money.

10. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    Somehow I got suckered into a couple of those games for a few weeks, and suddenly realized I had spent about $15 on them. That was the day that I deleted them.

11. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Hell no! I would never spend money in a game that I play for free. o_O

12. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The moment one pays one penny for a free game, it's no longer free. These free games make their money off advertisements and other marketing stuff, so I never feel obligated to buy any of their offers. If people wish to get paid for their products and services, then they better have a selling price.

13. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    I've done it before. It depends on if the game is addictive or not. Some games even being f2p can be every addictive. Like I played DCUO a ton before I even dared to sink so much as a dime into it. But after playing it for about three months, I slowly took the plunge and put small amounts of money into it here and there.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually don't because I rarely get so Ddicted to particular games that I feel compelled to spend on it instead of just moving on to something else that's free since there's so many of them now. However, I do try and spend if I feel like the developer deserves my business and I also try as much as possible to advertise their game if I felt they needed more exposure most likely due to being a smaller company.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't believe I ever did. I did however ponder about spending some cash on Path of Exile, becasue it was a really well made game with absolutely no restrictions for the free play, but at the moment I was playing they had no interesting and reasonably priced stuff, so I opted not to.