Do you spend money on weights or use items around the house?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by True2marie • Aug 3, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Since I am not trying to be a body builder, I use canned goods around my home as weights. They are easier for me to manipulate and help me achieve my current fitness goals. However, I do know people who spend a lot of money on weights like the kind you see in the gym. Do you? To me, if you're only trying to remain tone, it's a waste of money.

overheadarmraise.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of dumbbells at home so I buy extra weights when the existing ones are not enough. I used to just use my own body weight for working out but I found myself getting lighter so my body doesn't cut it anymore. I bought dumbbells and now it's easier. Another reason is that it's hard to find something that has the weight and is comfortable to hold.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do both. If I really have to buy and equipment then I do buy one. But if I could improvise out of the items around the house that are readily available, then I improvise instead and don't buy. I only buy if I really have to.

4. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I only use items around my house right now, but I consider getting a set of adjustable dumbbells as soon as I can't find anything heavy enough anymore. For Curls I often use six-packs of beer to replicate dumbbells or beer crates to replicate barbells. They aren't too handy, but they usually get the job done and I can also adjust the weight by taking out a few bottles if I want to do more reps.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I do both. I don't spend that much on weights. I only bought 2 sets of dumb bells and that's it. These are the only weights I have in my home. It's not hard to maintain a tone physique as long as you have the commitment to put in the work to achieve your desire goal in shape or weight loss. I also use my old college books and hold them when I do squats from time to time. This certainly helps but you have to make sure you're not injuring your back by leaning forward. I feel exercise doesn't require a lot of money. You can do many methods without spending a dime and still get awesome results.

6. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Up until today I was using resistance bands or books, but it feels a bit cumbersome, so I went out to Five Below and picked up 5 lb dumbbells for $5. Excellent deal, and now I have neoprine dumbbells for my at home workouts.

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    When I first got into exercising, I used to lift whatever I can find around the house: buckets of water, sack full of stuff, beer cases, etc. Yes, these are really awkward to carry, thus not ideal for exercises. But these helped me get started. I saved money to enroll in a gym, and right now, I'm slowly building my own home gym.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never spend money on buying weights nor do I go to the gym to work out. The kind of work I do daily gives me enough exercise to stay fit without having to lift any weights but occasionally I do exercise not because I need it. I do it because after exercising my mood always gets elevated.

If I needed weights that much then I suppose I'd make my own weights. Click on the link below if something like that would interest you:

9. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I have a pair of dumbbells with changeable weight, a pull up bar and couple of other exercising tools at home. None of them are homemade. Most of the 'regular' things found in my house are too light for me to work out with, not to mention that there is possibility of breaking them while working out.

Not to mention that I go to the gym at least 2-3 times a week, so I work out home very rarely.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Investing in a good weight set is worth it in my opinion. You can find a good one for $25-$30 these days and it will last a few years. Using items around the house is a good option, but weights are designed specifically to be lifted for strength training and most of the time easier to workout with. I personally rather just go to the gym, but a good weight set is a good alternative to have.

11. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I had a great suggestion to anyone who might find themselves in a hotel without weights; I stay at the Marriott and all of their locations have a gym with free weights in them. Because you are staying there anyway, ask the front desk to borrow the weights in your room, do your exercises and return them to the gym. I know that this sounds simple, but I never actually thought of it.

12. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I've spent money on is some kettlebells. Usually I'll just find items around the house and those seem to do the job. For example, I've actually filled a gallon milk jug with sand/dirt and you'd think it wouldn't be that heavy, but it was and had my arms killin' the next day!

13. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I just go DIY on my weights. I would often use large water gallons, fill them up with water and just start lifting. But that's only for the basic weights, when it comes to ankle weights I'd much rather purchase one out of a fitness shop, not unless I can find something in my household that would be a suitable replacement.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do but only weights that have no direct replacement when it comes to everyday household items. I only buy weights that are maybe more complex that the average bottles of water or a bag full of heavy stuff. I tend to spend money on ankle weights or vests since I can't really strap a bottle full of water on my foot and run around let alone having those strapped on my shirt.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using simple water bottles to build up the strength in my arms and back. But I am not a big fan of weights. I much prefer keeping my body in shape by swimming on a daily basis. All I want is a healthy and toned body. I don't need any extra muscles to impress others.

16. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use to use cans of soup. But eventually it was too easy. I have a pair of 2 pound weights and a pair of 5 pound weights. They costed me like $14 at Walmart. My apartment gym use to have weights before some punks stole them. But they are getting more and hopefully they won't be stolen this time. But I would spend some money on some weights, a little heavier than soup, eventually your body is going to get use to the cans and unless you do more reps won't see more results.

17. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of dumbbells that I bought a long time ago but I find they are too heavy for most exercises so I just end up using a couple of 1,5 liters water bottles.
    I find they are the perfect weight to have in your hands when doing squats or whatever and it's always hand to have them around to hydrate as well :)

18. Betsyake

BetsyakeMember

Threads:
    I prefer to do items on weights out of house because of the good air and no money to spend.

19. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah sometimes I do. Although you can use household items having the real deal can give you the best results since they're made for just that reason. However, back when I was still in college I would grab empty jugs of milk out of our fridge and just fill them with water, slightly heavier than what I wanted but it's alright

20. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    None. I train by using only my body weight so there's no need for improvised or bought weights. Pullups, pushups, squats and other more exotic exercises are enough to keep me fit and protected from that extra body weight. The resource I use is

. Great community with lots of exercises for different levels of experience, all free.