Do you splurge on computer gear?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by True2marie • Dec 9, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    One of the things I have noticed about frugal people is that they tend to have one thing they splurge on. These days, I believe it's computer gear - iPods, tablets and laptops. The same person who counts his or her toilet paper to save money often has the latest greatest PC at home.

I am right or wrong?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I splooge on computer gear, but actual computer gear, not the stuff you mention (ipods and tablets).. These aren't really computer gear rather tech gear.

I regard computer gear as actual components and peripherals for my desktop PC.

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and no. I think it depends on why you are trying to save money. If it's because you don't have money, then you probably are not going to have all the stuff you listed above because in the end they are just luxuries and you probably can't afford it. And if you were to splurge it'd be on a good computer and related software because computers are necessary and useful in our everyday modern lifestyle.

4. comlink

comlinkNew Member

Threads:
    I would say that I do up to a certain point, there is always a limit to where you can upgrade something like a computer and sometimes you just have to be contempt with what you have and that is hard for some people so you just need to mindful of that and since someone wants to buy a 2 TB harddrive, unless you are a video editor and actually need that much space don't get it because you always need to be mindful about what you actually need and what you can use or else it is just a waste.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Not really. They all progress so fast so I don't think it's too practical to spend too much on something you're just going to replace in a year or two. Of course, that doesn't mean I'd only buy the cheap stuff. I do like buying the more known brands so I don't end up hating my experience in browsing online or doing work, but I rarely go too far onto the high end side of gadgets. For one thing, I usually don't like the physical designs enough to want to spend that much on them, and second, I don't really do that much on my computer anyway to warrant buying one that is the most powerful of them all.

6. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I generally tend to shop around. Luckily, I'm quite computer literate, so I generally tend to know whether or not a product is worth the price tag that has been slapped on it. I don't tend to rush into buying things and quite frequently I'll do a lot of research and online price comparisons before I actually go ahead and make a purchase. I feel bad for those who rush into purchases of computers and laptops and things and then regret them at a later date.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gadgets in general are becoming more and more affordable nowdays, so I don't think that it's an issue whether a person is frugal or not. But in my case, I will splurge on a smartphone or a desktop that has great specs and is compatible with the latest games.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I do splurge in computer gear, upgrading my RAM, CPU and GPU. On gadgets, not much, but I do own an iPod Shuffle. The only tech gear I really splurge on is a pair of decent earphones, but I don't buy those overpriced Apple earphones or Beats by Dr. Dre, I mean decent and reasonably priced ones from Senheiser and Audio-Technica. My stand is, with money or no money, I buy tech gear/gadgets that I only need. If my phone is aging, then I have to buy new one. If my earphones broke, I have to buy a new one. I don't buy tech gear just because a newer one came out, I think that's just plain stupid for people to just throw away their gadgets for a new one just after two years of use. But then again, if you can afford it, why not.