Do you splurge on (hair) conditioners?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by True2marie • Jun 20, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    A prior beautician once told me that it's okay to buy a cheap shampoo, but NEVER a cheap conditioner. Otherwise, my hair would not stay soft and supple. I took her recommendation to heart. So, I pay a bit more for this kind of product.

What about you?

recoup-c. Love ABBA products . . .

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. I have a short hair, so I don't see any practical benefits of splurging on hair conditioners. And although my sister and my mom have long hairs, they don't do so. They only use and maintain their hair with one conditioner which they have been using for years. I want to mention it here, but I it's nameless. It's personally formulated by the hair stylist.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've never heard anyone say to do this, but it's what I do!

I have tried a ton of different shampoos/conditioners and the only difference I can ever tell is when I change conditioners. Shampoos make no difference to me. So I buy super cheap shampoo and then splurge more on conditioner.

4. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Not really, no. I mean, I guess we buy more expensive stuff than some people on this forum, but given how many people use the shampoo and conditioner in our massive house, it's worth splurging for the bigger bottles. So we usually go for the big Tresemme bottles, just because it's so much more convienent than having to buy twenty little bottles every time we go shopping.

5. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I mentioned this in another thread, but there's the belief that since shampoo strips off the natural oils of your hair you need conditioner.
    However, if you take the shampoo out of the equation and either use something milder or in my case the apple cider vinegar treatment, you may be able to get away with not using either. This is called the "no poo" regimen.

At first thought this can be gross and when you first start using shampoo I can almost guarantee it will feel that way for at least a week. However, if you can hold in there for a bit it starts to normalize itself and you can get some great results.
    Speaking of which, I'm a male so there's different things at work here, plus of course the idea of different hair types. My wife can't do it to such extreme lengths as me, but she can meet me half way.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I do spend quite a bit more money for hair conditioner because they are all expensive here in my town anyway. But since I cut my hair short, I never really used conditioner anyway.

It is not as easy to spruce it as when I used to use conditioner but it's alright while it's short.

7. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Hair conditioner is for people with unhealthy hair. Correct your diet and you wont need to be wasting money on unnatural junk.

People like to eat/drink junk and then rub it all over their bodies. Can't get enough of those chemicals turning you into a weaker version of yourself.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't aware of this tip until I read the OP's post. So far, the local brands of hair products work well on my hair, particularly those with coconut milk ingredient added. I'm particularly referring to Palmolive hair products. My hair is black, with healthy strands and I rarely subject it to chemical treatments. It has never been permed and colored, too. My budget on conditioners is withing mid-range. I buy the Tresemme conditioners in 1000 ml bottles found at dollar stores.

It is important that a regular deep conditioning routine is included in the total personal care maintenance habit to keep hair in its tip-top condition.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of a bargain and cheap conditioners have worked fine for me particularly suave or VO5. Like the person below, I have short hair as well but having a good conditioner is important because it helps to condition your scalp which in tern helps your hair to look nice.

10. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I use a detangling rinse because it conditions and gets the snags out. I no longer splurge on conditioners.

11. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    That's so funny because an old stylist actually told me the opposite so I have been buying really expensive shampoo and reasonably priced conditioner. I hope I haven't been damaging my hair all these years! Generally I buy mid price range conditioners but this stylist actually told me any old conditioner would do and if I wanted a deep conditioner to just just leave a regular conditioner on my hair a little longer.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of that tip before, but I will definitely keep that in mind when I buy a conditioner. I will take note if it's effect on my hair and compare it with other brands that are lower and higher in price. Let's see if the disparity in quality is great or not really.

13. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Shampoo can be very drying to the hair and I find that I do need a conditioner after I wash my hair. But personally I use the cheap 1$ conditioner and that works fine for me. I haven't found that more expensive shampoos are any more effective.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually splurge on hair products in general. I prefer to splurge on skincare and makeup products. My hair is pretty normal and it doesn't get very dry, so for me hair drugstore products are fine. The most expensive product I use on my hair is Chi Silk Infusion, which is an oil you put on after shower which works as a heat protectant. For shampoo and conditioner I'm fine with Tresemme and Garnier products.

15. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I use Tresemme or Suave Naturals. I found that if I wash my hair every other day, it does not dry out as much. Plus, I save on the cleaning products. My hair is not very oily either. It comes down to my shoulders so I just need a little bit. I think this helps save more money too.