Do You Still Buy Junk Food Even If You Know That It Has No Nutrients?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sidney • Dec 11, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just thought of asking because I find myself buying junk food often these days, and now I'm thinking that I can buy other nutritious foods with my money instead of buying junk food. So I would like to know your stance on this. Do you still buy junk food even if you know that it's "junk" to begin with, or you just save your money and forgo buying it?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only on rare occasions when there is nothing else to eat. I like a portion of fries because they taste good, but there isn't much nutrition in that. These days you can find nutrition in junk food, but very small amounts. Save your money and buy healthier freshly made sandwiches, or salads. The odd portion of junk food is fine, but once or twice a week only, and that includes pizza.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest though most people know junk food is bad for their health they'll still find it's allure irresistible. Taking some junk food once in a while won't make that much of a difference, I think. I'd be lying if I said I said I never buy junk. I do [eat french fries] but I don't buy them often. There some who think they aren't junk food . . .

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very rarely.. I don't like it anymore. I much prefer foods as close to their natural state and it's not being a spaz, I'm just accustomed to it and love that not only are they good for me, but I absolutely love them and prefer them now. So when I crave certain aspects of junk, I can make much healthier versions and go overboard all I want lol. win-win

5. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I know that junk food is bad for my health, and I don't take it very usually. Anyways, when I'm feeling like picking some I don't mind it to be honest, the key is to enjoy your eating and not abuse these things.

6. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Unfortunately. Junk food is aptly-named, but there are some days when I just can't be bothered making my own food, and a sit-down restaurant with halfway healthy grub can cost too much. The golden arches beckon. That said, I try not to give in to the temptation more than once a month, if that - it's still cheaper to buy and prepare your own food.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have finally gotten to the point I can say no to junk food. I try to carry nuts or raisins with me to help me say no to the junk food. I love chocolate so it is really hard if I am around chocolate.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You will save a lot of money, if you cut out a lot of the junk food. Not only that, but you'll also be saving your health.

We all know it isn't good for us, but many of us our tempted to "treat" ourselves from time to time. I think we can do so if we practice moderation.

It's a good idea to shop for all your other items first, avoiding the snack food aisles. It's also better to avoid grocery shopping when you're hungry.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Is is actually a big part of the reason why I tend to limit my junk food purchases. I could spend $5 on buying ice cream or potato chips but often I'd just choose to use that money to buy an actual meal instead because for the same price I could fill myself up instead of relying on junk food that doesn't even really fill me up at all and not to mention it would just make me fat and unhealthy so I tend to favor actual meals if I can help my cravings. From time to time I do give in though but I just try and limit it and most of the time I only consider it when I have some extra money.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that most people buy junk food, whilst knowing that it has no nutritional value, and not only that, but whilst also knowing that it does dame to our bodies. I think that the biggest reason for that is that we are addicted to sugar. Few talk about it, but sugar is the most addictive drug of them all.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's funny how junk food is quite addictive while other healthier snacks like nuts aren't even addictive. Oh well, I guess the artificial ingredients are the ones to blame that's why they taste so good.

12. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am making it a habit to purchase much more healthy foods these days and trying to stay away from junk food. I do not want to consume things that are not going to do anything for me. I do still by a bag of chips or candy on occasion, butit is for a treat now and not to satisfy my hunger.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you mean by junk food are the hamburgers and fries and the chips and other modern snack foods, I beg to disagree that they have no nutrients at all. And I believe that those food are not really bad because I have some observation that, in fact, junk foods make children grow taller. An uncle of my husband in the US stands 5 feet 3 inches and his youngest son is 5 feet 11 inches all because of junk food.

14. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    You make an excellent point, in that nutritionally, junk food has little to offer, so why waste money on it? My husband has a sweet tooth, so usually if I do not have sweets around the house he will buy them at the gas station on his way to or from work. Sweet treats are priced much higher at the gas station than they are in the grocery store, so sometimes I will pick them up at the grocery store for him in order to save his money from being spent on over priced goodies at the gas station. Also, to save even more money, sometimes I will make homemade cookies from scratch. I think it is okay to have a treat once in a while.

15. Lupa06

Lupa06New Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do buy junk food on occasion. Although I try to limit the amount of junk food in our home, I must admit that I have a weakness for chips...none in particular, any kind really. I think that we all know what is good for us foods and which we should not even look at, but realistically we all have that soft spot for some not so good for you food. During winter months, I find myself definitely indulges in junk food much more than in spring and summer, perhaps its because it;s so cold out or because I can hide behind my layering of clothes.

I think that everything in moderation is ok, and as long as you are eating 80% of the time healthy having that chip or double chocolate brownie ain't going to harm you much.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I agree with all of you that in moderation junk food is not so good but okay. Our home too has a soft spot for chips and tortilla chips, but I've looked for low sodium and no saturated fats if possible. We limit our intake of junk food as much as possible. We changed our menu to more nuts, fruits and juices that's real juice with no sugar added.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will admit to being something of a junk food junkie, but I notice that when I buy these foods now...they tend to stay around a lot longer. I am not usually gobbling them down..so I think I am making some progress in that regard. Also items like chips and candy are so expensive these days that I don't generally buy them unless I can get a good deal or a two for one type thing. I also tend to buy lower calorie ice cream and so forth...which to me tastes just as good as the full fat versions.

18. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My tenure of working inside and for healthcare institutions have helped me with eliminating a lot of junk foods especially Pepsi. Another post mentioned the cost of junk foods has jumped up crazy! I have to admit though I still get the 'sweet tooth' cravings and I think long and hard about just exactly am I craving for before I go and buy something.:D

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, the cost of junk food nowadays is indeed expensive, so that's another reason why we should not buy them, aside from their lack of nutrients. If you feel some cravings for junk food, then you can just opt to buy the cheapest kind.

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I may actually be taking issue from your assertion that "junk food" has no nutrients - because that's not true. What is true is that "junk food" has more traits that might be considered unhealthy - it has more fat and sugar than other things, but honestly not all fats and sugars are made equally. And the body does need at least some fat and sugar to function just like it needs salt - sodium channels don't operate very well in the absence of salt after all.

That said all things in moderation including moderation - I personally prefer to enjoy my meals versus counting every calorie and obsessing over how many grams of salt or whatever are in it. To be perfectly honest... genetics has more to do with things than behavior - if you have a good set you can get away with a lot more than someone with a bad genetic hand. That doesn't mean behavior doesn't count, but at times I think people put way more worth to it than they need to.

I mean I can't tell you the number of 70+ individuals I know who smoke or smoked like chimneys. I can't tell you the number of folks I know who play as hard as they work all while drinking like fish. There are many very, very old fat people running around these days, and being on the smaller side of average is in no way a defense against your body screwing you over.

Sorry for the rant, but honestly at this point... It's not that people eat junk food, it's that people are lazy hypocrites who never exercise. Seriously, go have your stupid burger after you have a jog.Try swimming before you decide on that delicious ice cream cone. How about not eating the whole bag of chips and cookies at one time? How about not drinking a liter of soda up in a couple of hours by yourself? Don't blame the food - blame your lack of moderation when it comes to food.