Do You Still Buy Music Cd's?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Halber • Oct 19, 2015.

1. Halber

HalberNew Member

Threads:
    Recently, up in New York, I found a book -music - game store that I really came to love. As I browsed the music section, I found a couple of albums that I hadn't listen to yet, and so I bought them. Inside, the CD cases had small posters and a contents list, which I thought was a nice touch.

Do you still buy physical CD's to get music? Or do you only buy digital music?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy them a lot when I was younger, but the last time I bought a CD was way back 2004 and after that I just downloaded music from the net. The CD booklet is a good collector's item, so I would only buy a CD now if the artist is someone that I really like.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I buy physical CDs very rarely these days, and only out of loyalty to certain bands. I have access to devices that will play them, but my laptop won’t, so it’s pretty inconvenient for me if it isn’t digital. And to be honest I feel a bit guilty for not buying the most recent album by one of my favorite bands. I’ll get around to it. Eventually.

I actually just got a few free CDs from a friend whose music-buying habits are similar to mine; he already had the music in digital format but just wanted to support the band. I have yet to listen to those CDs… whoops, haha. Another thing I gotta get around to eventually.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is unusual. Since the young generation are so good in the internet and that they just download music, now they are scrambling for the CD of a new singer in town. His name is Alden Richards and he is so popular just recently. His first album was sold out and his second album was also sold out even before the launching. Children in our house are clamoring for the CD of Alden but I stand pat in my decision because we have no CD player at home.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As I can't even remember the last time that I bought a physical copy of a music CD - I think its probably fair to say that - no I don't buy them anymore.

Which is probably due to the fact - that as music has easily been download for well over a decade now and just about anything we want from full albums to individual tracks - can be downloaded directly onto our music listening devices - either for free or paid for - depending on the artist, age of the album or track - it kind of negated the need to physically buy it - especially if the choice listening device is an mp4 or smartphone.

6. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    I try to buy a CD a weak. I'm a music lover and I spend a lot of time in my car. I'm old school, so if my car had a turntable with speakers, I would go to one of the record stores in town and buy an album a week. They make themselves out to be "vintage" stores, but they sell albums so I don't really care what they call themselves. I just think it's cool that in 2015 you can still buy record albums.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I used to have a huge CD case full of them back in 2005. I still had them up to a couple of years ago when someone broke into my car and stole them.
    After that incident I decided it wasn't worth it to try to buy all those CDs again. So, I got Spotify premium and downloaded the app on my phone so I could listen to music on my commute.

8. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    Yes I still purchase cds. I plan on purchasing one next month by my favorite gospel artist. I haven't downloaded a song yet but I will soon. I like the cds though mostly because I'm use to them.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fewer people buy CDs these days because getting music on the net is more convenient. You can buy music any time you want. There are a few people who still buy CDs I suppose. They believe the audio quality of CDs is much higher. True though it might be, it's been a while since I bought CDs. In fact I don't spend any money on music. There are lots of free songs to listen to on youtube and on a number of free streaming sites.

10. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought CDs in a very long time. I used to a lot when I was a teenager and had my own car, but not anymore. I don't like any music except hymns. I also don't like any bands. My interests have changed dramatically so if I want to listen to something I'll go on YouTube and find the specific song I want to listen to. It's easy to use so I love it. I used to download playlists onto my music app on my smartphone as well, but like I said my music interests have changed.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once in a while, I or a few of my family members buy music CDs. They've pretty much depreciated in value over the years. You can basically just download mp3 clips on the Internet these days. However, more often than not, you have to put up with bad audio. If you want quality sound and audio, buying music CDs is highly recommended. I tend to disorganize my music files so playing a list of songs straight from a CD is also more convenient.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh gawd, I don't remember the last time I bought a CD. I have hundreds packed away, from the 90s up until... I don't know, 2005 maybe lol. Somewhere around there. I get it all online now.. I don't need the clutter.

13. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have not purchased a music CD in years. When u was a teenager I would purchase music CD's regularly. I still have my old CD collection. In order to save money, I do not purchase music. Instead, I typically listen to Pandora on my phone, the fm radio in the car, or sometimes I will check out newer music CD's from the local library for something different to listen to. With all of the different ways to stream music now online for free, I think music CD's are not as popular as they once were. IHeartRadio, Pandora, and YouTube are just a few ways to listen to a variety of music genres online for free.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've stopped a long time ago. The last cd I bought was a double disc which cost me a lot, only to find out a few weeks later that I could just get it on peer sharing, so I felt like such a fool since I was very very young back then and didn't have much money to spend already to begin with. Now I'm older and I just pay a monthly subscription to Spotify which I think is a good compromise between all the other methods.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I stopped buying CDs in 2007. I don't even remember what the last CD I bought was. I think it was a classical CD from a record shop in Hollywood. It was $3 and I bought it used. I knew it would be hard to find that one online so I bought it.

16. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I can't recall the last time I've bought music CDs. Also, where would I play them? I do have a funny story, I bought a used car recently and inside there was a fairly good CD lol, so I listen to it a lot!

17. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy digital music because it is more convenient and it is directly saved into my computer and gadgets. I have not bought a CD in a long time and this is because everything is already digital, including movies, music, games, etc. I guess gone are the days of CDs and albums which are physically bought and how it was such a nice feeling to acquire an album of your favorite artist or band. But I am planning to buy some vintage CDs, those big black ones just for a collection. There mall sales discount going on sometimes at a nearby mall and I sometimes purchase CDs if they are affordable. The times are changing and more and more people are getting their entertainment through digital mediums, and I am excited as to what would be the next stage in the future of entertainment.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still buy CDs because I like something tangible. I tend to listen to music on my laptop and then pick the songs I like. Eben though I can download music, I still prefer to be able to see what I have in my hand, because laptops aren't always reliable and sometimes a CD may be worth something if it is signed.

19. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I know I don't. I have fallen guilty to simply downloading mp3 files and listening to them through my iPhone. It's just difficult to carry a disk player and a ton of music CDs around. If possible though, I definitely would like to collect CDs as it seems to be a pretty cool thing in my opinion. Music is awesome after all.

20. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped buying cds when mp3s came into the market, and phones became suitable enough to handle the frequency of songs. I think the last cd that I bought was 9 years ago and it was Akon's Konvicted album. I also remember buying My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade album. I think the chance of minimizing the clutter in our home was one of the reasons why I stopped from buying cds.