Do You Still Buy Newspapers Even If You Can Get The News On The Net Or On The TV?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by sidney • Mar 13, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have cable and and a postpaid internet connection, but my dad still buys newspapers everyday, even if he can simply just watch tv or browse the net if he wants to know what's currently going on locally or internationally. If I were him, then I won't buy newspapers anymore, since I can get them somewhere else anyway, like I can simply go online or watch tv to get my news fix.

So I'm wondering how many of you still buy newspapers in this era of modern technology? Or are you just content to browse the net or watch tv for your daily dose of news?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Just the internet for me. I like it this way, it's more convenient and the news are updated much faster.

But I can certainly see why some people want the newspapers. First of all, the quality of journalism is often much better since in many websites in the internet you have not so skilled reporters. Also in the internet you often see headlines which are made to attract clicks, since that brings in money. Kind of the same with newspapers, but often online it's used a lot more. I think it also has something to do with the feel... for example I want to read a proper book instead of an e-book, even if the text itself is the same.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper. I watch my news online on the newspapers or on Facebook or I watch the news on TV. I do read some free paper newspapers, but I am not spending money on those, it's simply not worth it anymore.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree. Come to think of it, some news articles online have some wrong info, and some celebrity news are completely fabricated. While on tv, the reporters there are usually right where the event happens, so the details tend to be more accurate.

5. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    My grandparents are the only people I know that still get's the newspaper everyday. I think it's going to be a thing of the past. You can get all the news for free online. Though I can see why my grandparents still read it. They like reading it with breakfast and coffee every single morning. Then they save them and use them to start the fires on cold winter days. My grandmother packs things with them. I don't think I have ever seen her throw one in the garbage. To me, it would be clutter but she has the space to save them for when they are needed.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents still buy the newspaper daily, there are many people that still buy the newspaper daily, but I would say that 90% of those people are older people that don't access the internet, so they continue to use the support papers. I think that retired people also might prefer to use the newspaper for a more relaxed reading.

7. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I actually do still buy a newspaper. If I try to read news online I get easily distracted. I am less likely to actually read the important articles because I would rather be on YouTube or Facebook. When I have a newspaper in my hands I can sit down with my breakfast and just read. It's actually pretty nice and a good way to start my day. Plus, the newspaper I get isn't very expensive. If I read something that really interests me I can check online to learn more, but I like to get my basics from the paper.

8. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy newspaper but my parents are old school, they still have their papers delivered to their home every morning and they happen to pay and instruct the newspaper boy to deliver
    on our house as well. Who doesn't love freebies? So every morning we have newspaper on our doorstep and it grew on me, its kind of comforting reading the paper while having coffee in the morning.
    I'm also looking forward for the crossword puzzle everyday.

9. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    Call me old-school but hell yeah, I'm still into reading newspapers. Newspapers give me the whole "context" of the report, something that the news on TV can't.

10. Seattle_Inserts

Seattle_InsertsNew Member

Threads:
    WP_20150119_002 (1).JPG Reading this newspaper has led me to be a better-rounded person. I have been able to participate in conversations I might not otherwise have joined in on. It gives me a sense of assurance that I can be on top of the news, understanding some basic issues that are so important, especially in these times." I so agree with you Apple. You do get a fuller Context of the news via Newspapers that you don't get on Tv news. Which Newspaper do you read and how often. I have found out that by learning how another person reads and enjoys there newspaper the way they do. You can learn a persons likes, dislikes, thoughts, ideas and opinions.. I Love learning how another person reads and enjoys there papers?????? Would you be up for discussing newspapers.

11. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I still get newspapers every now and then, but I don't buy them on a daily basis. I used to have a Sunday subscription that was delivered to my front door. Even though it was only once a week, and I really liked the sales papers that come in the Sunday paper, it got to be a bit much. I started to notice that I would regularly have 2,3 then 5,6 papers that were piled up but not even opened yet, so I stopped that subscription.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only read the free papers or if I am in a cafe or a waiting room. I rarely buy them, but still enjoy reading them whenever I can. I think people prefer online subscriptions as they are up to date and can be used on a tablet or a laptop.

People are buying them less as the free press also has increased in quality and is available daily in some cities and not weekly as some papers are.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really been a newspaper person, to be honest. Even before all of these alternative news sources became available. Mostly, I think that a lot of the stuff that is printed in newspapers is trash, and the few times that I did pick up a newspaper, I'd have to deal with having black chalky fingertips, due to the ink that is used to print the newspaper. I get most of my news online, which is better because I can research what I discover.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, we still buy newspapers. However, we don't do the purchase everyday because there wouldn't be too many pages during the weekdays. Local newspapers put out more news over the weekends. On Sundays, in particular, there would be a thicker classified ads section. My mother's a real estate broker so she needs the classified ads for prospecting purposes. I often look at Sunday newspapers just to read my favorite columns. It's the same concept as preferring a hard copy of a book over an electronic copy.

15. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Probably the only time I would buy a newspaper anymore would be around Black Friday for all the sales local to my area. I used to buy the Sunday paper for the coupons, but I found I don't really use the brands they have the coupons for. Other than that, I get ALL my news online and a little through the TV.

16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    No. Neither I nor my parents buy newspapers anymore. We have internet access which we could use for searching new topics, and we also have television where we could watch the latest news, so I guess there's no need for us to get newspapers daily.

17. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    There is really no need to buy national newspapers these days, everything you need to know is so readily available online or with 24 hour TV news coverage. On the rare occasion i have bought a newspaper i have got through it in about 10 minutes and then thought ''was that it.'' Newspapers seem to lack any real substance these days, particularly the tabloids.

I think there is still a market for local newspapers however, You cannot source local news and content in as much depth online or on TV as you can with a local paper. They are more focused on issues specific to your area and that enables people to stay in touch with what is going on close to them. I think it is quite surprising that local papers will outlive the nationals and it shows what a valuable job the local newspaper does for it's community.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We get the area paper that is free. I have not purchased the main paper in sometime now. I would get the paper for the sale section but don't need to that any more now that I can get the sale sections online. Most local papers post a online paper also.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Older people still prefer newspapers that's why they still have a market. Anyway I think TVs and newspapers are more reliable than some internet site where you'll find news which probably might be fake. But that doesn't keep me from getting all my news on the net. There some sites which can always be trusted after all. Reuters.com for example.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We stopped buying newspapers a long time ago even a few years before news outlets almost completely migrated to the internet as a medium. At the time I didn't really get why my parents stopped buying newspapers but I guess it was just impractical for them to go to the store each day to buy one since deliveries have stopped at that point. They started getting their news on tv exclusively and now also from sites and social media.