Do You Still Buy Newspapers, Magazines, or Tabloids?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by DrRipley • Aug 18, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love reading magazines and I used to buy them all the time. I find it much more enjoyable to read physical copies of my favorite magazine brands instead of on a computer or a tablet for some reason, but I rarely buy them anymore because it costs a significant amount of money and I feel guilty paying for something I can get for free online.

Does anyone here still buy magazines or newspapers? If not do you know of anyone who still buys them? I honestly am kind of amazed that there are still a lot of them being sold on convenience store and bookstore shelves.

2. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy newspapers or magazines, since I do all my reading online. My family used to have a subscription to the daily newspaper and a weekly political magazine. We decided to cancel it since we wanted to save some money and figured out no one was reading them anyways. I know people that buy newspapers and read them, too. But those are mostly old people that don't use the internet. I understand the appeal though. Morning newspaper with tea and biscuits, who wouldn't like that?

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever use magazines or newspapers. I basically use my tablet and read all my news. The only time I would purchase an newspaper or magazine is if my kids need cut outs from either for a project. Other than that I use my kindle or my tablet it much more convenient.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I get some FREE magazines from various publishers. And I bought a subscription to the Daily Oklahoman (twice-a-week) on the promise of ALL THE COUPONS it provides.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad still buys newspapers everyday even if he has a wi-fi connection and cable tv already. I really think he's wasting his money, but then again, at the same time, I couldn't care less because it's his money anyway, he can do whatever he wants with it. As for me, I also won't buy magazines or books anymore when ebooks can be easily downloaded for free, and articles on magazines published online for everyone to read.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy newspapers or magazines though I don't mind reading any that I come across. The observation I made is that most younger people don't buy newspapers and magazines but older people who'd got used to and fell in love with the feel and rustling of paper still buy newspapers. I believe that eventually, newspapers will become obsolete because the younger generation isn't even interested in news anymore.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I do for when I'm travelling, I always forget to make sure my phone is fully charged so can't read their online versions on my phone for very long. What do people do with their newspapers after they have read them? I fold then up and place them on a vacant seat on the bus or train for somebody else to read later on. :)

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly can't remember the last time i bought magazines or newspapers. Since we now have instant access to basically all kinds of information online, from celebrity gossip to serious worldwide news in a complete and more detailed information than the limited information printed on magazines and newspapers, i just don't feel the need to buy magazines or newspapers anymore. I think it's a fact that the magazine business is slowing down because of the technology. And really, i'm all for technology. ;)

9. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to do all of my new via internet and or smartphone. I still read the paper every now and then do to co-workers bringing them to work. As far as magazines, I read those next to none. I spend way to much time online to pick up books.

10. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Yes, I still buy newspapers and sometimes magazines. I like having something that I can hold to read. But honestly, the main reason that I still get the paper is for the New York Times crossword puzzle. Any crossword puzzle for that matter, but the New York Times is my favorite. I know that they are available online, but I just can't stnad filling them out there. plus, being at the computer already, I am always tempted to cheat.

11. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't even remember the last time that i actually bought a magazine it was so long ago ! Maybe one of the Woman's Day at the grocery counter that looked like it had something interesting in it, or maybe an old Mother Earth News. I read the magazines if i am in a waiting room somewhere or at the doctor's office. Otherwise pretty much all my news , and informative reading comes from online sources.
    When I was selling newspaper subscriptions, most people took the Sunday paper because the like to get the store coupons. Some even bought two or three subscriptions, and said they never looked at the rest of the paper.
    I do think that newspapers and magazines will go the way of rolls of Kodak film, and everything will soon be online.

12. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I've stopped subscribing to newspapers since two years ago. I realized that no point in wasting subscription fees when I can get the news online. Nowadays, many people are talking about how going paperless is good for the environment so I just do it. I get to save the environment and save quite a bit of money every month so kill two birds with one stone.

13. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I still buy magazines and newspapers in their physical form. I find that I feel much more into the articles and stories when I am holding the physical item. Reading them online is often inconvenient especially when there is no power around. I will be the first to admit that the physical item is dying a slow death and sooner rather than later it will be gone.

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Used to, but not anymore. I spend so much time online these days that even if I don't want to, I still read news. Thus, with so much free stuff available at my finger tips, why pay for print, it would be a waste of money! I still read the papers if I find them laying around, but buying? No. It's true that I miss reading some magazines I used to, the paper was nice to touch and the layout pleasing, but I'd rather save the money.

15. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We've stopped reading newspapers when they were already available online. Subscriptions to newspaper alone is about 1/4 of our internet cost, so we just get the most out of online available news. Plus, you get to interact online, unlike printed material, that's it, no exchange of ideas.

16. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I can't even remember when I last bought a newspaper. I read everything online now. As for magazines, never really had much interest in them. And blogs are essentially magazines in virtual form. I do buy books, though.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy newspapers anymore, because I have a 24hr news channel, and can get updates on the internet whenever I need them. I feel as though the printed newspaper is something that is going to slowly go out of circulation because of the simple fact that by the time it hits the shelves it is old news, and there is no reason for anybody to read them anymore. I do buy the occasional magazine, because I do like flicking through them, but because I am so busy at work at the moment I don't really have the time to read them, so one magazine will usually last me for an entire month unless I happen to be on holiday at the time.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them anymore unless there is a free gift on the cover. I do enjoy reading them though and will happily read them in a cafe, bar, in a hotel lobby or on the plane.They will continue, but not in the quantities they are used to with free magazines and papers available, profits have gone down. Nearly everyone has access to up to date information on a tablet or laptop and articles are available on line.
    Local papers continue as they serve the neighborhood, especially for those who do not have access to computers it can be a lifeline for public and local announcements.

19. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I do. I'm a news junkie so I buy the three daily newspapers in my country. To be precise these are the Philippine Daily Inquirer, the Philippine Star and the Manila Bulletin. They come really cheap so they don't cut very deep into my pockets. If converted to US dollars, buying the three newspapers is worth just a buck. As to tabloids, nope I don't buy. If you think tabloids are bad in the United States, wait till you read what's contained in my country's tabloids. As to magazines, I also buy a few. Most of the magazines I bought though are back issues.

20. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do prefer paper magazines because often I find tips and info I want to keep and it's so much easier to cut out an article and paste it into my binder of saved info than it would be to try to save just a part of a digital magazine, if that's even possible. I can also share articles on paper more easily than you can digital ones.