Do You Still Buy Or Collect Magazines?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by sidney • Jan 2, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before the internet became popular, if we want to read a magazine, we have no choice but to buy them or borrow them. But now that we can read magazines online, do you still buy or subscribe to your favorite magazine? Or you just read the online version nowadays? I used to buy magazines once in a while if I liked what's written on the cover, but nowadays I haven't bought a magazine in years, it seems like I lost interest in reading them. How about you?

2. fairydust007

fairydust007New Member

Threads:
    I still love my home & garden type magazines. I have a whole basket full in my bathroom. I know I can probably find all of the same things online, but I like having my reading material for when I take my bubble baths without fear of getting shocked LOL!

3. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like it was so long ago that I would collect magazines! I still am very much so in love with the printed copy of magazines and not so much the digital copies. It just doesn't feel the same. Whenever I feel the need to add to my collection I'll swing by a Barnes & Noble and stay in there for as long as it takes me to get all of the magazines I want!

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    The only magazine I still buy is National Geographic if I see there's an interesting article on it, I keep them in the bathroom for some light reading :)

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Owning a physical copy of a magazine is indeed better than just browsing thru the online version, the online version has less content as compared to the physical version, and it makes sense, because they would want you to buy the physical copy instead of just browsing the online version. Right now though, I haven't come across a magazine that would make me want to buy it.

6. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still have my collect of magazines , I guess it so much easier to just relax and sit instead of having my laptop on my lap to just flip threw my magazines while drinking my coffee, and I like them also because my kids us them for school instead using all mu ink to with I just can cut the item out and give them to the kids.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I still but some magazines that I really like but I no longer but as much as before since I already have an Internet connection and I can download just about any magazine I want. Still, there's something about physical magazines that I can't let go of just yet. I still love reading magazines especially gaming magazines.

8. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not collect paper magazines. I either view information on the Website for the magazine or go to the library. It's cheaper and just as satisfying to me.

9. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I used to subscribe to one magazine, Alternative Press. They focused on (sort of) alternative music, but so many bad bands got the cover and my suscription time was running out, so I decided to just let it expire. I used to get a magazine from Gamestop, not sure what happened to that.

10. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy and collect Gilmore Magazines, which they offer a lot of variety topics such advices, financial planning, news, trends, and more. I remember I would rush to the store every month to get the Gilmore Magazine. Now, I still read it once in a while, but I don't read magazines as much as I used to because I can just read the news online. It offers digital version of the magazine through the e-book store, which I sometimes would like to purchase one copy when I find the time to read.

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy magazines and newspapers but now I'm saving up on money so I cancelled all my paper subscriptions. I don't see the need to buy them anymore as most of them are available online. This way I can save money and the environment, two birds with one stone.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely bought magazines anyway, but I still prefer hard copies to reading online for various reasons. Convenience mostly and I suppose just preference. You get a lot of coupons in magazines as well that are more difficult to find online. I do have a massive collection of all the ones I've kept over the years and it's nice to look through them occasionally.

#12Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  13. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy magazines nowadays. I have stacks and stacks of them on my shelf in the closet and I'm not sure what to do with them. I don't want to throw them away because I did spend money on them and some of those are hard to find now. I mostly use my tablet to read magazines and other things now. No point in toting a magazine around when I have one of those.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the Magazines I bought or read a few years back went out of circulation. A few managed to get their business online and keep going but those who couldn't cope with competition just stopped publishing and closed down business. From then on, I lost interest in reading the magazines because when you change a medium, everything else changes because you'll be more like targeting a wider [global] audience and that messes up things. So these days, I don't read any magazines unless a Google search lands me on their homepage [which is quite rare].

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never read magazines anymore! Not paper or digital! I simply stopped having the habit of reading them! Nowadays there are so many varied websites online I never remember to get or read a magazine. I will only pick one up when I'm waiting at a doctor's office or when I'm visiting my grandma.

16. eg0mez

eg0mezMember

Threads:
    Yes, I still collect magazines, but I don't pay subscription.
    I usually just get whatever arrives at my door and collect them for the images.
    I think a lot of people still do what I do and it is an interesting topic.

17. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    I bought a magazine two weeks ago (it was my first paper magazine after two years:) ). I've read it, it was fun but I won't buy a magazine again in the next period because I can find almost everything on the internet.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still subscribe to some magazines because some rewards sites that I belong to offer free subscriptions in their rewards shops. I don't pay for magazines, but if a site ,like Recyclebank, lets me redeem points for them, then I do it.

19. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have 4 magazine subscriptions out now on various topics. I do not buy them, per sa, but I opt to use my points on reward programs to get them. I rather spend quality time reading on my own time instead of getting online reading them.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the teen magazines all the time and a few of the major ones because my favorite celebrities were in them. Nowadays there is rarely anyone interesting in magazines anymore so I have since stopped. I just keep the ones I have for nostalgia reasons. Maybe they'll even be worth a lot of money some day. As far as the home magazines, I see no need in reading them. I am currently on the Game Informer subscription because of Gamestop and it's annoying me because I have no interest in reading it and I don't think it's something you can sell so it's a waste to give it me.