Do you still buy physical music?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Fauxpat • May 13, 2014.

1. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Piracy is as strong as ever, and the number of cheap, legal alternatives is growing almost by the day. Personally, I have a subscription to Spotify Premium, and it's more than enough for me. It's actually to the point I don't buy CDs at all anymore, as I now have access to thousands of albums right at my fingertips. And, unless the labels go back to the gimmick they tried about a decade ago- albums in surround sound or albums packed with DVDs -it's likely to stay that way. I mostly stream in my car or over my laptop, so a drop in quality is no big deal to me (besides, unless you have a high-end stereo set up, differences in fidelity are barely noticeable). I will admit, I still buy vinyl from time to time if it's cheap and/or it's something I just have to have, but that's more as a curiosity than a vehicle for listening to music.

So, how about you guys? Do you still buy physical releases?

2. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    My dad collects music. He is a music journalist, so we have a room full of CDs and he still buys music, even the things he downloads from internet he burns them on a CD and listens to them that way. So yeah, my answer would be YES. But I personally get most of my music on the internet.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I used to buy plenty of CDs but nowadays there are so many free and cheap alternatives. CDs just aren't worth it anymore when many of the songs you tend to skip over anyway and I always listen to my Iphone in the car.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought an actual album in probably 8 years or so! I used to love buying physical albums, but ever since cd players said bye I don't see a reason to actually buy them. My notebook doesn't even have a cd player! I wouldn't even have somewhere to insert the disk to listen to it. It's much easier to listen to music at Pandora, Spotify or even Youtube. It's free, legal and you don't need to be downloading things and taking up space.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a music-lover so buying CDs would be the last thing I'd do no matter how cheap they can be. Opinion is divided as to whether it's or wrong to listen to your music on youtube but while the debate still rages on, I listen to most of my music on youtube and other streaming sites like Grooveshark. I'm yet to find out if Grooveshark is legit or not but since I'm not stealing anyone's stuff, my conscience is clear.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never been much of a collector, and even in the days wherein I bought CDs, I always used to misplace them, so I tend not to want to buy them anymore since another option has popped up. Digital content is way better for me since I can just give people copies easily online instead of having to let them borrow my things if I only had CDs in which I'd risk it not being given back for one reason or another, which is how I lost most of my CDs to begin with anyway.

7. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy physical music anymore. I was actually going through a box of old things one day and found a few cds, its strange how everything changed all of a sudden, now music is on the internet and everything is done digitally, no one even prints photos anymore. I hardly listen to music anyways, so I don't even get them online either ._.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, buying them is a form of support. I support greatly the artists that I am listening to. To show it, I buy their albums. It also feels differently when you have that thing on your hand. There's a satisfaction and a feeling that you own them. It also serves as a remembrance. Another reason that I buy is that, I want them to be signed whenever a chance will come for that.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have some CD's that I play in the car but mostly my music is on Pandora. I can hear music I do not own some new some old. Also I like to listen to more than one type of music so being able to hear on Pandora is great. Lately I have been listening to Zen music to help me sleep on Youtube using my tablet. I found a collection of Dr Who theme songs on Youtube and did not save it. I liked it enough to purchase but I have not been able to find it on Youtube again.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I really don't.

The only time I will even consider it at this point if it's a local, small-town artist. Chances are, I'm never going to listen to the CD if I buy it from them, though, so I'm more likely to simply donate money instead.

11. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    It has been years since I last added to my CD collection. I listen to music in a digital format so I see no reason not to download it. I am not talking about piracy but legitimate pay per song downloads. I am not really interested in the most modern of music so I generally am looking for older stuff. This can be a challenge and often I end up with holes in my collection because a digital version of something is simply unavailable. This is where piracy can be tempting: I may not be able to pay for a song, but if I look hard enough, I can probably find it online somewhere for free.

In this digital era when piracy is so prevalent, music needs to be cheap, and easily available if producers want the public to pay.

12. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy physical music anymore. I feel like it is a waste of money when I can get my music off of iTunes. I may buy an album if I really like it.

13. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought an actual psychical album in a very long time. I'm really bad, and download all of my music for free. I don't have to money nor room to spare for music or CD's. I might buy a CD is I REALLY loved the album, but I haven't come across any albums that I really loved lately. I usually just burn an album on a blank CD to put in my alarm or to give to my Dad for his car. I have considered asking for some vinyls of modern albums, because we have a record player in our house.

14. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I don't listen to music as often as I would like but I used to have a bunch of CDs a long time ago. Now, in this digital age, the temptation to simply download MP3s is too great. They take a lot less time and is much cheaper to collect music online than buying from a store. I am kind of weird though. I still go out of my way to buy the physical copies for movies especially the blue-rays. I think the biggest difference is that I like watching a lot of the special features in the physical copies of movies. Music CDs don't really offer any bonuses like that.

15. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I mainly use Spotify and Pandora internet radio. I do have Spotify premium membership and it fully satisfies my needs. For some rare songs or mash-up/remixes there is always either Youtube or SoundCloud.

I have bought some songs and albums from iTunes, but I haven't bought a physical CD since year 2007 or 2008.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I certainly do, not as much as I used to, but if I do find myself checking out the local secondhand record shops every month and will buy a couple of old CDs a month. CEX and Cash Convertors are my two favourite shops because I can buy CDs and DVDs for only £1. :)

17. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    It has been a while since I purchased an actual CD.

Most of what you need can be purchased online and it just easier. I don't want to physically get up and go to the store in order to get my favourite singer or band's album. Just download it from iTunes or some related program and get the songs in great quality on your device.

It is just easier and that is important in the modern age. At least for me it is.

18. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No - I am a download junkie. I snag my music off of iTunes or VeVo. It's much easier than buying and storing a CD. The only outdated thing I do with CDs is burn movies off of the web on them. Yes - I still own a DVD player.