Do you still go to the library?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by True2marie • Jul 27, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    There are two libraries in my area, both very popular. Whenever I go, I can barely get a seat. Yet, word on the street is that everyone is sitting at home surfing the Internet for reading material. So, I was wondering how true this is. Frankly, I do both.

To me, evening Internet surfing is fun, especially stories about celebrity goof ups. However, I do enjoy going to the library during the day and picking up a hard copy of a novel. I feel awkward reading a big book on a tablet.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's only one, very small library in our town. They books they have date back to the 1920s and before. Most of them are that old. I've had a look at some of those books and they're not only just plain boring but they're written in old English that's not in use any more. That makes reading them even harder. To avoid all those extra complications of trying to decipher the meaning of old words, I'd rather download a book and read it on my computer.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still go to the library. We have many branches here. People still go to the library to read magazines and check out books. We can even check out the latest movies on DVD. There are also a lot of homeless people who hang out in the library too.

4. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    As a parent our family goes to the library pretty often. Mostly for story-time or other events. We don't often go to browse the library when getting a book, usually we've looked it up online and have it ready and waiting for us there. That said, there are a lot of new systems for e-book reading out there specifically for libraries that they offer to their patrons electronically and for free.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah definitely! Especially if there's a certain book I'm interested in but I'm not sure if I would like it enough to buy it. I usually then go to the library, try to find it and read it. If I like it, then I'd go buy the book because I know I'd read it over and over again.

That, and I go for research still. Writing papers, projects, etc :)

6. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I still go to the library. We have two branches of our local library in our town, and both are very popular. I love the library. It is easily one of my favorite places to be. I belong to a book club so I always check the library first to see if the book we've chosen to read is available.

7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm a student so I go to my university's library when I have to pick up a new book for my course, or to research something. If we're talking about the local library, or even to just rent some books that I want to make, then I don't think I've done that in years...no wait that's a lie, I did last year when I needed a book for my dissertation. Got it sent to me from one of the university libraries in my country, but it was sent through to my local library

8. freespirited1

freespirited1New Member

Threads:
    Of course I go to the library! I absolutely love the place. We have a lot of local branches, as well as the local University library.

Libraries are not merely collections of old, dusty books. Libraries have much to offer; books, of course, everything from the most recent bestsellers to the classics. But a good library offers so much more. Story Time for preschoolers, computers for patron use, and a huge collection of Music CDs and movies on DVD. Why pay for Redbox when you can check out a movie with your Library card?

Other benefits our library offers is a room to hold musical recitals, a lecture series, and at the main branch, movies are shown once a week in the auditorium. I don't think libraries will ever go away. There is something much more valuable to us as a society than sitting in front of a screen!

9. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    There's no beating a paperback, especially with the way electronic books are designed right now. I tend to read a lot of technical books that require me to interact more through my PC, so having an electronic version of the book tends to make things quite difficult.

I have a library really near my home, and it's massive! It's got a variety collection of books, especially on technical topics, and it's free to borrow them too! They just give you a deadline (which is very generous, even more time for me to read it even if I slack off, so I'm all set for my part. I do own a kindle, for light reading (novels, for example), but only because it's a cheaper option. I don't mind reading on it, at times it's easier as well. But I still prefer paperbacks from the library than from Amazon!

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I really don't.

I used to practically live in libraries...and I say that without exaggeration considering I ended up volunteering at one for 4 years and worked at another for another 2 years. And then even beyond that, I loved spending time at libraries.

Nowadays, though, I just don't have any use. I have everything at home with the internet really.

11. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I love our library system! Love it! My city has at least 7 different branches. We go to one in particular that is the closest to my home. We know all the librarians by name, and they know us. They have new books picked out for us when we go based on our interests. We have gone there since my son was 2 (now 14). My son also volunteers there. It is our second home.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    There aren't many libraries around here anymore, unfortunately, but we do have bookstores that allow you to sit down and read for long periods of time, and I do frequent those places still. I enjoy it because I find it much more pleasing to browse physical books and preview them that way instead of a screen, and the atmosphere adds a lot to the experience as well.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to but not anymore. Everything i need and more can be found in the internet to be perfectly honest. Whatever book there is in the library, it's also in the internet with added detailed information and more references as well. And what's best about the internet is the ability to own the book right away by just a few clicks. So, I don't really see the point of going to the library anymore. :(

14. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I definitely still go to the library. I love the way it feels in there! I'm the same way with a book store though. It just feels comfy and homey. I use the computers to print things and check out books when I can't afford to buy them.

15. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I very rarely go to the library anymore. As they say, "everything's on the Internet." That isn't exactly right but you get the idea. I remember when I was in college, many students go to the library not to read books, but to just sit there, open their laptop and surf the net.

16. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I love going to the library. We have a few classic libraries in the town which are more than 100 years old. The feeling that one gets when you enter such a librabry is unbeatable. Also I dont like reading ebooks. I dont like the feel.

17. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    There's one huge library near where I live but I never visited it. I don't even remember when was the last time I visited the library. I can basically find all the info I need from the internet and at the comfort of my home. I used to borrow revision books from my college library when I was studying. I think I stopped once I left college.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is no public library from where I live or at least in my area, so the last time I went to one was when I was still in school, so those were during my college days. I don't mind going to the library to hang-out and read since I don't mind quiet surroundings, plus the place is air-conditioned too, so I can definitely feel comfortable in that place.

19. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I still go to the library but not as often as I like these days. I generally go online for certain stuff. I go to the library for information because what I realised is that much of what is online cannot be trusted. Going to the library also encourages reading among young people.

20. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to visit libraries when I visit other cities. I feel they are very important as a place for anyone to go and better themselves or to have space to read or study without having to ask. It has been a lifesaver for me, a place where I can get free wi-fi, free newspapers and magazines, find out local information, somewhere cool and air conditioned to work in and I was lucky to have a library with bookable study rooms where I could take an online exam.

They also serve as hub for the community where people can meet for meetings and a place where the history of the area can be recorded.