Do you still have a file cabinet?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by MrsJones • Dec 29, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Technology has taken us away from the traditional home office as we knew it right down to how we store our important documents. We scan documents, we burn documents on CDs. Do we still keep originals of anything these days? And if so, where do we store the for safe keeping?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I miss my file cabinet. My concern is what do if your computer crashes with all your files on the hard drive. It cost a small fortune to have someone retrieve your files.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:

You should be backing up all of your important files and then burn them on to a cd, if your computer has these capabilities. If not I would invest in a external cd drive with burning capabilities. It is very easy as I have one myself for other uses. Or you can have someone that you trust do it for you. It will definitely ease your concern of your computer crashing. Also the Geek Squad at Best Buy can do this for you if you don't mind paying for the service.

4. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    yes I still use a file cabinet. I have all sorts of things filed away. Old documents, some legal things I need to keep and plenty of instruction books and warranty items. You just never know when you might need something like that. I also file and keep some bills for two years, It is funny because I actually pay the bill online so it isn't like I have a receipt. It certainly is handy though if you have a problem with a payment that was not processed, or worse yet processed wrong.

In the very beginning I used to burn things to CD, I have to confess I was not very organized with that system and it was a pain having to look for what I wanted. The other downside is occasionally a burned CD gets crunched somehow and then you have lost the data anyway. I prefer thumb nail drives or an external terabyte drive. No solution is completely perfect, especially when it comes to things like tax paperwork or certain vital pieces of paperwork. I pity my son if I die, he will have to make heads or tails out of my system.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most offices still have file cabinets. While they always scan the documents and save them online they need back ups in the office just in case . . .

It's not such a bad idea. Supposing there's a massive power outage for some reason? I think much as it's more convenient to make digital copies of files, having a physical copy of documents can be a smart move. You never know when technology will fail you.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have a filing cabinet as such because of space restrictions. We only live in a small 2-bed apartment; one room's been converted into an office. What we do have is an external hard drive to back everything up onto. Additionally, we have a couple of those small "filing drawers" that you can sit on top of your desk, and they're just right for us as not only are they compact, they don't take up too much space; they're also just the right size for what we need stored :)

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! Yes, I do still have a file cabinet. I can't tell you how many things are stored in there from bygone years. And I'm still putting things in there as I get things that need storing and I don't really have a better place to put them. I like having actual, physical documents not necessarily over storing on computer, but in conjunction with it.

8. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Oh the flie cabinet how I miss it. Sorry, I am someone who use to earn a living as a file clerk, and I was good at it. Now a days since a thing has become obsolete. Very few if any companies still have paper files. They now have them all downloaded onto computer. to be honest I am not too sure how I feel about that. AFter all, this is more or less putting our documents in the hands of a computer, and anything can happen. Systems can be hacked, they can crash and then what becomes of the information. Call me old fashion but I think in some cases it was safer to keep things in a paper version. Maybe I am just being an alarmist but there have already been situations of systems being hacked and information being leaked. When it was in a hard copy version it was a bit harder to get a hold of it. But then that is just my opinon on the subject at hand.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We still have three file cabinets at home. One of the cabinets stores my dad's personal documents including those incurred during his 35 years of service to the police force. Another cabinet belongs to my mother. She used to be a teacher, insurance agent and now real estate broker. There was every need to have her own filing cabinet. The last cabinet contains all our office supplies (e.g. bond papers of all sizes, envelopes, index cards and the like).

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I stopped using them about 7 years ago, during one of my last moves. When I was setting up the new office, I ditched my old file cabinet to save space. I don't even have my printer set up anymore either, it's in the closet collecting dust. I only pull it out once in a blue moon when I absolutely need it.

Anything really important, I just scan it or photograph it with my phone, then I keep multiple cloud backups in addition to copies on my own hard drives. Even when I did keep a bunch of paperwork, I almost never needed any of that stuff ever. And it was a huge pain in the butt to shred it all when it came time that I needed to just let it go and dispose of it. Especially when living in an apartment, where you got nosey neighbors who will rummage through your trash.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I used to work as a legal secretary and we did have a lot of file cabinets. I recently visited the office and the file cabinets are still there. I think it's hard to have all the documents scanned or downloaded into a computer for the reason that some of them can be used as evidence which will be marked and presented in court as exhibits. Aside from that, my former boss is quite old and knows very little about computers. He still prefers the old ways of doing things.

12. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My mom acquired one when she was still managing some boarders here in our houshold. It did keep the paper work smooth and easy to handle information regarding rental updates. Now, it's just a white elephant gathering dust and occupying space. The top part is just utilized as a random storage for random things now.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have two filing cabinets that hold everything from years of my daughter's artwork to medical records and newspaper clippings about Japanese entertainment. I like my filing cabinets and have no plans to go completely paperless.

14. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    The filing cabinet has a place in my home. I store car documents, bank details, passports, warranties, insurances, old photos, school records, qualifications and so on. I would not want any of these scanned. A hard copy is a secure copy!

15. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Yep, I have still multiple filing cabinets at my home. They still hold a use and a place in my heart, even in this digital age. After all, there are still a lot of paper documents that need to be stored somewhere. Those are the best places to securely store them. Plus, I keep paper backups of very important documents, just in case there's a power outage or serious electrical disturbance.

16. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    I still have paper copies of invoices I receive from my business.They are stored in a room that was built to be a home office as it has many, many shelves. In time though I want to be converting my invoices to my computer and smart phone to make filing taxes easier. From there I will just burn them onto CD's.

I do kind of miss the old days of typewriters and file cabinets though. It gave the whole process of doing work and saving it a more "human" feel.