Do you still have your childhood books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Theo • Aug 30, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Somewhere in the depths of my parents attic are my first books which are precious and I would never give them away. Which books do you keep and which can you bear to give away?
    I find it hard to give away books, but a space is limited, I have given away some, usually those given to me. The books I choose to buy, I rarely give away.
    Maybe my old books will be worth something and not just sentimental value, with my handwriting as a four year old scrawled inside.

2. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    While going through my old room at my dads, I found so much stuff from my childhood. I also found some children books that use to belong to me and my siblings. The same books I read as a child, I read then to my nephew everyday.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I never throw away any of my books, they're all precious to me. So every time I bought a book and finished reading it I would put it on my grandpa's bookshelf and no one would touch them. I'm pretty sure they're still there, and I would probably read them again in the future.
    My collection consists of a bunch of Goosebumps books, The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit to name a few. They're part of who I was back then, and like my videogames, I would never part with them.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That's cute that your parents have kept your old childhood books. I don't believe that I have any of my books from when I was a kid. I've pretty have donated all of them yet part of me wish I had kept at least one or two so I could read to my own kids some day from the exact same book I use to read from.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose I have one or two books that I read when I was still a child. My parents kept them, just like they always keep some toys, etc to remind them of the kind things we liked when we were young. I'm sure the books will be handed down to some favorite grand-kid. Even if I laid my hands on the books now, I don't think I'd read them again because my taste [for books] has undergone a complete metamorphosis.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Some of them yes. Once I left home I took a box where I put all the stuff I wanted to keep and stored it in the attic. It's still there to this day and once in a while I look at stuff or read a tale or two to remember the good old days when I had no worries in the world. Some books I didn't keep and I miss them - but I have to be realistic and understand that a pile of books eats a lots of space, especially when you're rarely reading them. So in the end, I made another child happy by donating them.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, there are still many children books at my mom's house, we still have a lot of childhood books from when me and my brother were young. We gave some away to charity and school library already back when we were still in school, but my mother wanted to save some for when we have children.

8. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    Yes!! !I saved a ton of them for my children because those books gave me so much joy I couldn't just throw them away. Even if they are scribbled in. lol I want my babies to love reading so I started reading to them early.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't have them anymore unfortunately, along with many other things from my past because my parents weren't really that good at keeping old things. Not that they would throw them or give them away, but they are a bit messy so everything just tends to get lost and it didn't help that we moved a few times so they most likely have gotten lost in between those occasions.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have a whole bunch saved away, yes.

While I know a lot of people have moved over to digital books, I still think kids benefit from real books and can appreciate them way more than digital versions.

11. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Still have the most epic ones, but most of them are gone...
    I had tons of comic books! Sold them all :D

But some you can't let go...
    I kind of wish I hadn't sold them, but I hate keeping old stuf.

12. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still have all my old childhood books. I have now passed them on to my children. I had a lot of Enid Blyton books so my daughter has them. I never throw books away. My house is like a library.

13. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I have several collectible series, hopefully my kids will want to read them some day. I also kept some of the more rare children's books and have read many to my kids. The books I didn't keep were primarily mass market paperbacks that can be acquired cheaply now via Amazon an such, but there just wasn't room to keep them all.

14. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    As a matter of fact, I just found my copy of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" last night. I also still have my Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes and The Farside. But honestly, there really aren't many books that I wouldn't give away if I thought someone else would truly get enjoyment out of them.

15. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have several of my childhood books but not all of them; A version of Snow White and Rose Red. (A book that is written by the brothers Grimm but not to be confused with the Snow White version that was used in the Disney Films.) I also have Shel Silverstein's, 'The Giving Tree'. (A book that tells the story of a little boy who befriends a tree and then the rest of his life the tree helps him through every stage including his very last.) Another book that I keep although I got it when I was slightly older (10 years or so) is a version of The Phantom of the Opera. I cannot recall the artist who did the illustrations, but they are some of the best artwork I have ever seen for children's books before. I keep these safe in a box in my mothers attic. But I like the Giving Tree so much that I take a 2nd copy (not the original I received when I was 4) with me at all times so I can share it with children who might come visit us in our home.

16. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I do not have any copy of my childhood books anymore. The place where I live is small and it is difficult to keep things that do not use regularly. My family have moved house once during my school years and a great of objects were thrown away because of limited space. As the computer technology is advancing, I can keep eBooks without limit. The hard drive space is much small compared to the physical storage of tangible books any way.

17. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I don't have them because I live in a small place and I got rid of them all. When we are young we make some choices that we regret later, if I knew what I know now, I would have kept them for my kids, they would love them.

18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, my parents were not fond of giving/buying me children's books when I was a kid. They would just buy me toys and dolls so there was really no book from my childhood that I could save. I would not blame my parents though because they are not really literary people. I have just developed my interest in books when I went to high school.

19. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I do have a few, but I passed them down to my daughter. I have a very old copy of Alice In Wonderland and Peter Pan, which I have told her she should pass down to her children.

20. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I still have some of the books I used in school from when I was six years old. I find that it is nice to look at them, it makes me think of the journey I have been through to get to where I am now. It is also good to show my kids and realise that some of them are still being used in school today.