Do You Still Pay For Cable TV?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • May 19, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still pay for cable at home because unfortunately, some of my favorite channels still aren't being offered online and I like having something random to flip through because I find it a little more convenient than having to consciously pick out what I am going to be watching for the next few hours. I do watch TV significantly less nowadays, though, and it's why I've at the very least shaved off some unnecessary channels and thus have saved myself a good amount of monthly expense, but I don't know how long I'd be willing to still pay for cable for only a few chosen channels that I only ever watch a few hours each week.

Have any of you cut the cord? If not, what is keeping you from doing so?

2. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Well I still pay for Cable TV, but that's because I live in the Republic Of Ireland and we are so far behind with things like this. We wanted Sky TV but my trees are too big in my garden and we can't get a signal :D.

3. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I do not pay for cable anymore because I watch all the shows I like online. Any show that I want to watch I can find it on Netflix or another online channel. I use to have Dish Network but it got very expensive so I had it cut off. I find it useless to have cable TV when you have internet.

4. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I was without cable tv for a year and am so very glad to have it back now. *Hugs her cable.* Some things are on netflix and some things are on hulu but not everything. Also sports are problemmatic to watch as I was always having to go to a bar or restaurant to watch sports and having to pay for drinks or food. I hope to never be without cable again.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah there are a lot of things aren't on sites like Netflix or Hulu. You might have to go to a tricky site. At best, you'll have to deal with a pop up ad that comes up automatically and it gets annoying to close. If it's a special event you may not even be able to find it at all on the internet.

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    No, the only thing I did a few months before deciding to stop paying for a service that bores me more than entertain me was endlessly flip through channels. Nowadays I just pay for a decently fast internet and Netflix. I can watch a good variety of shows and movies, and when I get bored I download a videogame to any of my consoles.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut the cord more than a year ago, it was just to expensive and I don't look at most of the stuff that is on cable. There are a few shows that I miss seeing like HGTV cand the current Doctor Who but it is not that bad living without those few channels. I have a digital converter on my TV right now which does not get good reception, I hope the new TV I plan to get for Christmas has better reception.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I pay for my cable tv every month. I have not switched over to internet TV. Although I am thinking about doing it very soon. The reason that I have kept the cable TV till now is I do not watch any particular shows or prefer to get addicted to any of them. I just watch whatever I get from flipping through the channels. This cannot be done very easily in internet TV. However, due to the high cost of cable TV, I think I will switch to internet TV.

9. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I pay for cable now because my roommates want it. We split the bill. If I lived by myself I wouldn't pay for it ... way too expensive and I don't watch that much TV. If there's something I want to see I'll watch it online when I have some spare time. Having cable is a perk but not really important in my day to day life.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was paying for cable up until last month. However, I rarely ever turned on the TV anymore, so I decided to cancel. Right now I just have Internet at home, and it's truly all I need. I have a smart TV so I can watch things on it, or I can just watch everything from my computer. I don't miss cable at all, I like to watch everything when I want and without commercials. It's a blessing!

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, not anymore. I pretty much chucked my TV out the window in for favor for a better internet connection and it's not like you can't have the things on cable in your computer. I used to pay for cable but I never really cared that much for TV and for the most part the only time I get to turn the damn thing on is if I'm playing video games or watching movies.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't pay for cable. I cut the cord at the beginning of the year. I can watch most things online, but there are some shows that I miss. I also have to be careful to avoid spoiler online. Buying a season of Homeland on Google Play is still cheaper than cable TV for a month.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, we use Direct TV. It's the one of the cheapest cable TV products out there. We have it bundled with our phone and internet with AT&T. For the price, Direct TV offers pretty decent service. Even though, the signal gets knocked out occasionally if it rains too hard, I still like Direct TV.

14. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Cable tv in my neck of the woods is a joke. I had that company at my house everyday because their service was junk! The channels never came in and if the rare occasion they did, it was like for a second then out again. I finally got tired of it and ditched that service. I went to Dish and never had a problem since.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have Comcast (or Xfinity as it is now) back in 2006. It was terrible. It was expensive, half of the On Demand content you had to pay for, and the customer service was horrendous. I did not like having Comcast, except for certain channels and certain On Demand features. I would not go back to Comcast/Xfinity.

16. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I still pay for cable at my home, but we are moving away from it slowing. Most of what I watch is available for streaming the next day through Hulu (and Hulu Plus), and I find myself watching Netflix more often. I currently live in an area with a local cable provider (no big name companies forcing me to use their services), but I don't really see the value of cable with the other options available now.

I'll probably be getting rid of it within a few months. Luckily the company I use doesn't have contracts. You can cancel anytime which is great.

17. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped paying for cable for about two years, then I got married and had to start paying again- my Wife likes to watch the television. lol, I personally think that more than 2 hours of television on the weekends, and more than one hour during the week is a waste of time, with the busyness of life, how can one sit in front of a television for hours? or may be it's just me and my outlook, anyway, I will enjoy a movie, and watch it again, if it is worth it, but I won't watch something that is being shown on cable TV twice, I don't think cable tv is very interesting. GSN and Lifetime are the lifeline of cable TV.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're lucky. I wish I could switch. I hate them more and more everyday with a burning passion, it seems like. I'm sure they have a lot to do before I would even consider them okay. I can't understand why they have such a monopoly. That's the thing I hate the most. There's nothing positive that is exclusive to their company at all.

19. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    No Way, Cable TV is history. Also, I have worked in marketing firms and I pretty much know the importance of Dish TV, It provides with loads of data which companies then use to tweak their marketing campaigns and Advertising budgets. You won't believe how much data satellite TVs generate, all for the benefit of marketing.

20. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, still paying for cable, probably always will, honestly. I could do without television but i rather not, I enjoy the background noise.