Do you still read fairy tales stories?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by whnuien • May 6, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Fairy tales stories used to be my favourite when I was young until I was a teen. I used to imagine myself being the main character and I loved telling about the story to my mother whenever I had a chance to (my mother is not good at reading so she loves listening to stories)

Now that I'm married and have my own kid I still read these stories only as entertainment and I actually still like collecting and keeping them for my daughter to read one day.

Do you still read these stories nowadays?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom never read us fairy tales before going to bed, so I only got familiar with them thru tv or maybe in school thru my classmates. I was never fond of reading fairy tales as a kid, so it's unlikely that I will be interested to read about them when I have spare time. There are lots of other entertaining books and movies out there.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    All the time! I go to the flea market each week and often find fairy tale books for cheap. How can I not buy them? I used to read a lot of them when I was little and loved all the illustrations they had. These days I understand the tales differently, most try teaching a lesson, but I still manage to feel like a little kid again when I read them :D

In the end, being a kid is a choice.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read fairy tales also and I'm always looking for more. Though I've read most of the popular fairy tales, sometimes i re-read the stories because some of them can be really touching. My favorite fairy tale story is The Little Match Girl. It's one short, sad story with a great ending.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still read fairy tales and keep on reading the ones I've already read. It brings me a lot of memories and takes me away from the reality to wide imaginations, which somehow makes me inspired and motivated. I find comfort reading them.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped reading fairy tales when I was a kid. There is a new show on TV with a fairy tale theme for adults but haven't watched that either. I'm not into fairy tales anymore I guess lol

7. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading fairy tales when I was much younger and the stories were really enchanting.
    I think my love for reading and books started there. I still read fairy tales now for my kids.
    I want to instill to them the importance of reading at an early age.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Not anymore. I've grown out of it like most people do i guess. I do love Fairytales and used to love them so much as a kid but as an adult, i just don't have the time to read fairy tales anymore. Maybe someday in the future, when i have my own kids as well, i might revert back to being a kid who loves fairtytales. LoL

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever read any fairy tales or things based on fairy tales, really. I know all of the stories, but mostly from having them told to me rather than myself actually reading them. I'd have to say that most of us know at least a dozen fairy tales, whether we know the basics or the in-depth details of a given fairy tale. There are some great books based upon fairy tales that take a completely different direction.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Certainly. I see no reason to let go of those classical stories. They have fuel my imagination when I was still a child, inspiring me to write and fostering in me a deep affection for stories. My favorite fairy tales are those written by Has Christian Anderson and the Brothers Grimm. Typical stories like Little Mermaid, Rose Red, Snow White and the Snow Queen are my favorites.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't still read fairy tales lol. What use would they be to me at the age of twenty-four? The only time that I have ever revisited fairy tales was to learn the gruesome origins and truths of these tales, instead of simply swallowing the sugary sweet stories that were cleaned up immensely so that children could and would be able to digest them. I am not a fan of fairy tales. They are a little misogynistic if you ask you, and the whole premise of teaching little girls that they are helpless princesses who need a prince to come and save her? Not my kind of thing.

12. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I am actually the mother of four children, from 13 weeks to 8 years old. I love re-reading and revisiting all the old stories that I remember as a kid. My sister just got us "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales," and I realized that as a parody, my daughter wouldn't appreciate some of the stories because she'd never heard the originals. But that book is great.

I'm also getting in to many old chapter books again now that my oldest is reading independently and moving up in difficulty. So yes, I still enjoy fairy tales, and kids books of all kinds. In fact, the older ones are better. SO many people are publishing such crappy books these days it is almost difficult to weed through it to the real gems anymore.

13. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I like fairy tales. I'm not reading enough of them. ;) What I like most about reading fairy tales are the illustration. I observe them and get acquainted with the characters through the pictures. Nowadays I feel a strong need for podcast of fairy tales. To be having audio books of my favorite fairy tales would be the next best thing.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days, I don't really like to read anything that isn't lesbian fiction to be honest. With fairytales I actually prefer to watch them. And I don't think that there is a home out there that doesn't own a collection of Disney DVD's. Fairytales I always found that I enjoyed the human interpretations of fairy tales when I was a child. We would rent them from the video rental shops. Cartoon versions of fairy tales were always secondary to me. I liked Brandy's version of Cinderalla, and I also watched a human version of Sleeping Beauty when I was younger Way better than the cartoon version for me.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like reading them through adult eyes, because the tales are full of innocence yet lessons too. I tend to watch films or cartoons of fairy tales and it encourages me to look up the old fairy tales. Recently I saw a film on the Brothers Grimm and there was a kindle book for 99 cents for a collection of all their works so I bought it. Some tales are familiar and others I haven't read yet.

16. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be fond of them as a youngster, especially Aesop's Fables. Wait is that in the genre of fairy tales ? Most, if not all of them always had some moral teaching to pass on and were fun to read. Nowadays I read more Sci-fi and detective novels. I am sure I will get back in fairy tales if and when I have children.

17. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Not so much anymore, but I do love all the modern adaptations that tv shows, movies are using on fairy tales though. That's kind of the whole spirit of fairy tales; for each generation to put their own twist on the story and give the stories their own special meaning. Shows like Grimm have done an excellent job at breathing new life into old fairy tales and making them relevant for our period.

As far as pulling out a fairly tale book and reading them though, I just don't have the time, want or need to do it.

18. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I totally enjoy reading lots and lots of novels which also includes fairy tales. I think it can be really great to read such tales and they are worth enjoying. I totally think it is fine to read those books.

19. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I maybe an adult but I still love fairytale stories. I don't read them like I use to but I still like to watch the movies based on them. Especially the ones that were done by the Disney Studios. I also am a huge fan of the TV series Once Upon a Time which is based on Fairytale characters. I say based on because this show takes the Fairytales and puts another spin on them. For example maybe the evil queen in Snow White had a valid reason for being evil and for hating Snow White. Also, Peter Pan the sweet mischievous boy who didn't want to grow up was evil to the core and all about himself. Yes, these are fairytales as we never read them before, but I think that's what makes the show work, it explores the characters more deeper then the actual fairytales ever did.

20. rainbowfrog2

rainbowfrog2New Member

Threads:
    I still love fairy tales and anything fantasy. If you add in some action and a little bit of romance, then you have a mixture for my favorite thing to read! I don't have much time to read for fun while I'm in college, but you can count on me picking up a good book over every long break that I get.