Do you think it's rude for a person to always check their phone?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Tellyv • Nov 5, 2014.

1. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    Do you think it's rude when your out with someone either at dinner or on a date and they continue to check their phones? Does this mean that they are not interested or just to into social media or both? :confused::(

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I would immediately think that he's not really interested but it can actually mean a lot of things. Like maybe he's waiting for a very important call or just too shy to initiate other stuff to do, so he might not be even aware that he's checking his phone that often. But personally, I find it rude - either he's checking his phone or his watch often, while on a date with me. And that sends a signal that he's really not interested. :rolleyes:

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The simple answer is 'yes' as it is rude. Many restaurants insist phones are not used at the table, but in any case if there is an important call or message then the phone can be checked for emergencies, for example a doctor on call. It's manners and if someone has a job being on call as I used to, I would tell them I had to check every now and then. People think it's acceptable, but it isn't IMHO.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it is rude and i try not to do it whenever I'm out with someone, and I'm often successful at it since I dont really have that much intense need of having to check my phone but I understand it when some other people do. It does bum me out sometimes that it is how things are nowadays but I wont try and prevent anyone from doing what they want, and instead I'd just look for some people who are more my speed.

5. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, I think it depends. But yeah, if one gets overboard I might find it really rude. I especially hate it when my friends would hang out and some of them would take pictures of absolutely everything! Take a group picture before, during and after eating. Take pictures of the food. Take selfies all night. Update their Facebook, Twitter or whatever every 10 minutes. It's crazy!

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Probably both. Not being able to set the phone aside even for a dinner may be a sign of addiction. Yes, you can be addicted to your phone, it's a behavioral addiction, kind of like a really difficult habit to break. I think all too many people have not been educated, or taken the time to educate themselves on proper etiquette and considered where mobile devises can fit into that. Unless you are receiving a very important call such as you child needing to get a hold of you, or something like that, the person in front of you should always take precedence over the mobile devise. You can check your messages later, but you can't undo a bad interaction with someone.

7. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    To me it is extremely rude. It sends the message that they do not want to be there and that they are looking for a reason to get away. If you are spending time with someone, then spend time with THEM. Its no different than when you are talking to someone on the phone but they are talking to someone else on their end and not you or when some is suppose to spend time with you and they are on the phone talking to someone else the whole time. If someone is spending all their time on their phone when you are out with them, don't be afraid to say something about it. Tell them you will see them some other time when they are not so busy and leave. I do.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it to be extremely rude too. I read somewhere that the average American checks his or her phone every 90 seconds. That's just crazy. It's very close to being an addiction. I have walked out on a date because he was talking on the phone. No, it wasn't work related or important. He was just shooting the breeze with his friend. I gave him two chances to end the call. He got pissed at me. I stated that I was going to the ladies room and just left the restaurant. Good riddance.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes it is rude, but I think that they might not be intentionally doing it and are just plainly hooked on their phones. I would look for other signs of being uninterested apart from that. But in general, it is rude.

10. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    My first instinct would be that the other person has a lack of interest or would rather be doing something else. So when I'm in any kind of social situation, I do my best to try and do away with constantly checking my phone so often and this is where my smartwatch has great use and value for when I'm looking out for notifications but do not want to have to look to my phone. The way I view it is put your phone away unless you want to break an awkward moment or sometimes you can even counteract the other person doing it by doing the same thing.

11. hanseung

hanseungNew Member

Threads:
    I've found that people often look at their phone to fill in an awkward silence with someone. I often check my phone when I'm talking to people by habit, and I know it can seem really rude. I was actually writing some notes down on my phone at a group job interview and I think the manager took that as me being extremely rude... Bad action on my part. Sometimes it's good to make some time for people to think of what to say next in a conversation; checking phones is done so often these days that sometimes I don't even notice. However, it can seem like the person who's checking their phone is not interested in the conversation, so that's a negative point. Overall, I don't think it's that rude if the circumstances are right.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's definitely rude. And especially so, when you have invited someone to a meal and are paying for it! I would never even think of taking my phone out of my bag during a meal with a friend or business associate, unless it was ringing. I would apologize top the person/s that I am with and keep the conversation as short as possible.
    To be honest, I often get irritated in restaurants when others around me play endlessly with their phones or hold loud conversations.

13. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    It's only rude, depending on the situations you and such individuals are at like a funeral or business meeting. Then again, I could care less what another man or woman does with their time and property, so long as he/she is not doing wrong to another human. I'm not going to tell people what they should and should not do.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am being honest I do think it's rude, however I am guilty of doing that several times! I don't try to be rude or disrespectful, I'm just sometimes actively talking to someone on my what's app or some other app and I get carried away talking to them. I do try to watch myself and stop doing it if I notice it's too much, specially because it bothers me when someone else is doing it.

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's very rude. However, a person can only do to you what you allow, so if it bothers you, say something. They can either explain that they are waiting for something specific, in which you can help them figure out how to set their phone for important calls and messages to get through and they won't have to babysit the phone.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I can't stand people who are addicted to their phones when hanging out with people or even on a date. I understand if someone's just waiting somewhere with nothing to do and they're on their phone, but it makes absolutely no sense when there are actual people you could interact with and you choose to be on your phone. I've only had a smartphone for about a year, so I never grew up with them or got into that culture of needing to be on my phone all the time. It takes away from actual interaction with people, something that's being lost as technology grows.

17. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I personally think that it's rude to always check your phone whenever you are with someone, whether if it's a date or just hanging out with friends. The main point of going out is to socialize and get acquainted with your friends, and how can you do that if you're busy with your phone? It would also make the other person feel that he's unimportant and you find him boring.

18. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it is if the person is talking to someone or in a meeting. If he or she has nothing else to do, then why not? A person is free to do what he or she wants as long as it does not hurt others.

19. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah for sure. I especially hate it when you're out with someone (for a date, getting coffee with friends, etc) and they keep checking their phone. I understand if they're waiting for an important call (family emergency, job interview, etc) but otherwise it's just downright rude because I'm using my precious time to hang out with someone I care about but they clearly don't give two rats' butt about it.

There used to be this "game" that my friends and I used to play when we go out for dinner. We all have to put our phone, face up, in the middle of the table. Whoever reaches for their phone first has to pay for dinner, and if more than 1 people reach for their phone they would split the bill. This almost always works because no one wants to take up the huge bill :p

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you ask me, I would say that someone who can't seem to let go of their phone is as immature as a child who can't let go of their lollipop even when they're supposed to. I mean, why go out to dinner or on a date with someone if you're just going to spend most of your time with your phone? That basically defeats the purpose of being with the person. Those types of individuals need a full-scale lecture on ethical behavior.