Do you think laptops is more cost efficent then a desktop computer?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by dieselfit • Oct 27, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Laptops are not as expensive as they used to be and desktop computers are almost a thing of the past. You can get a decent laptop for gaming and multimedia for a reasonable price. With this in mind, there are still costs when you want to buy a new one because of the outdated hardware. What's your experience with laptops and computers? Which one has been more cost efficient for you?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy new computers or laptops anymore because I'm retired. So, when I'm shopping for a replacement of my old PC, I only do secondhand stuff.

The last time I checked the cost of a secondhand laptop was almost twice the price of a used PC. Maybe people think because you can walk around with them, laptops are superior to PCs. But for someone like me who doesn't have to leave home I think I'll still go for a used PC any time because they're cheaper.

3. minda

mindaNew Member

Threads:
    They definitely consume less than a desktop. I have saved around 1,000 PHP on electricity since I started using my laptop more often. Another thing good about it is you can decide to use the battery for half the time instead of going full on using the adapter. What usually happens is I plug my laptop in my office while I'm using it and just use the battery when I get home. This way, I will only use up electricity once the battery runs out.

4. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I think Laptops are the better deal for anyone. Laptops don't last as long as Desktop computers, but there is no need for them to last that long considering the price you paid for the Laptop itself. Desktops do last longer in turn, but they are not as good as Laptops features wise. Laptops can practically do everything you need, and more. Not to mention Laptops are mobile.

5. jazzalazz

jazzalazzMember

Threads:
    Laptops are much more useful. You can take them anywhere and they do everything that a desktop can do. Desktops have become almost obsolete today.

6. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:

Thats actually backwards. You tend to pay MORE for a laptop and end up with inferior hardware compared to a desktop.

For the amount youll pay for a laptop with a 17 inch, or even a decent 15 inch screen, you can build a desktop with a 20+inch screen with 1080p resolution, a video card capable of playing games at that resolution. a better keyboard and mouse combo than chiclet keys and a track pad more reliability and more power.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Desktop computer still is the best and cost efficient than laptops because it can last for a week without even turning them off. I sometimes let my computer on for 3 days because I downloading a torrent file which has 25gb. you can never do this with laptops in fact If you use your laptop for around 6 hours it will heat up like it will explode any minute. And if you still won't let it rest, the processor might burnt out.

8. jeanwatson

jeanwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think laptops are cost-efficient as compared to the desktops. I will admit that the laptops have a utility value and is available to you anywhere you go, but it's still not cost effective unless you are using it to make a lot of business decisions and money constantly. The repairs of laptops are frequently needed and they can cost a lot as compared to the desktops. They can get easily damaged because you carry it all the time when you're on the move, and thus can need repairs more frequently. Repairs of laptops cost more money than costs for repairs of desktops. Of course, laptops can be called more useful than desktops, but they can't be said cost-effective in comparison.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Laptops might be best for less serious work, but if you plan on doing heavy work on your system for years to come, a desktop computer would be better. You might also want to factor in that laptops probably use less electricity, so there's that.

10. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I think laptops are better in every sense, except for corporate use. If you're using them in your business I think a desktop is much more cost efficient, but not for private use, especially due to commodity issues.

11. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    Desktops are a better deal for you money, hands down. The question is really, what are you using it for? If it's just to get online, watch, youtube, check email, maybe play some graphically light games, and you prefer the portability of a laptop. You can get a decent one without spending too much money. But, if high end graphics is important to you for gaming or other uses, and you want a more powerful machine. You really should go with a desktop.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with this, and if you're a gamer, you will tend to upgrade your specs often to keep up with the latest games. Plus it's more comfortable gaming using the keyboard and mouse of a desktop than a laptop. So desktop is hands down the more cost efficient among the 2.

13. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    I think that laptops have really taken over and are now an asset to computer users in any field. I like the macbooks a whole lot and i think that they are great. I love how they have the specs and the capabilities to take on desktop computers and to make them seem like a joke. There are also some pretty nice Hp laptops that are real high end.

#13Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    Not necessarily more efficient, but they're definitely more portable. I have a laptop purely on the basis that I can take it with me, despite the hardware costing several times more than if I were to purchase a desktop. You can get a few pretty cheap on auction sites though, especially older ThinkPad models.

15. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what kind of laptop you will be getting. I would say that laptops are more expensive than desktops because of convenience and portability. The cost-efficient usually applies to the basic technology. If you just want to get a laptop with the basic stuff, then it can be less expensive than those who want the latest laptop. I have a Macbook laptop, which is quite expensive. But then again, I don't usually buy a new computer unless it no long turns on. I have my laptop for about 10 years now, and it still runs great to me.

16. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    You do have a valid point. The weakness with desktop computers though is the portability. I think laptops are way too overpriced for the features you get with them. Sure they are portable and compact but they don't hold up as well as desktop computers when it comes to performance. It's like buying a portable TV vs a normal living room TV. The 'normal' TV has way more features yet it is not portable.

17. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    For me it is a simple as upgrades. If you want to upgrade a laptop, check it out and buy a new one basically. If you want to upgrade a desktop PC well replace part by part. Or just put more ram, or upgrade the CPU ect. So upfront maybe costs the laptop is cheaper but in the long run especially gaming go for desktop PC and especially look for good base mother board because then you can easily improve hardware by hardware.

18. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I think that desktops are more cost efficient and more powerful than most laptops. However, I only use laptops. While it costs more to get a powerful laptop than equivalent desktop, I really like the flexibility that a laptop gives me. Also, laptops can be more expensive to fix, so you have to add that in to the cost equation.

19. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I much more prefer laptops over desktop computers any day. They are much more convenient. With laptops, you can move around with them. With desktops, you have to stay planted in one spot while you are using them, which can get very uncomfortable. I do see some desktops that are less expensive than laptops, though. But you can usually find a decent laptop for a decent price if you look around hard enough. The differences in prices aren't all that significant.

20. comlink

comlinkNew Member

Threads:
    They only thing laptops have going for them is that they are smaller and can be movable. after that computers are 100% more efficient. Not only do all the parts cost less dramatically but you can also build one more easily as laptops come pre-packaged and all their parts are special to that one laptop meaning if you try to replace something it is much hard than having a computer.