Do you think shops should be open normal hours on a Sunday?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sarz • Apr 3, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    On Sunday's most shops here do not open until 11am and close around 4/5pm this is because Sunday is viewed as the Sabbath? Do you agree that opening hours should remain limited or do you think that shops should open as normal on a Sunday?

I think that it is quite annoying that shops aren't open as normal on Sunday because if you have to go shopping on a Sunday it forces you to have to get up by a certain time on a day that you would probably are most likely to want to have laid in. But on the other hand I understand why I think overall a lot more shops are continuing to stay open on a Sunday regardless. For example our local Tesco Express is open until 11pm.

I know that some places have a complete ban on Sunday shopping altogether. Does anyone live in a Country where this is policy and how do you feel about it?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have nothing against shops opening at any time on any day. The owners and their employees need to have a day off to do other things unrelated to business. Best thing to do, is to buy your stuff every other day of the week and not go shopping on Sunday.

p.s In my hometown most businesses remain closed for the whole day on Sunday and half the day on Saturday.

3. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it has anything to do with Sabbath or religious reasons, it's just that people who work the shops also need their rest...

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live only shops in the malls will open on Sundays and whatever store wants to open, but they usually don't. And even the stores in the mall are like you said, they will open around 11 or 12pm and close by 7 or 8 pm. I mean, I think that is OK. I always think about the people working at those stores, working on Sundays must be so depressing. I think if you know the store won't be open on Sunday you can perfectly adapt to that by going there during the week or Saturday. Grocery stores and drugstores are always open, so if it's something that you really need, chances are you can find it in those stores. So it doesn't bother me that some stores don't open on Sundays.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the needs of the shoppers in the area. For instance, my area just opened a Wal-Mart Express that only sells groceries, cosmetics, and household stuff. Some in my area are still recovering from the recession and will probably need at least a year before their world is back to normal. In the meantime, it helps the economy if this store were to have longer hours. Though some do not work on Sunday for religious or personal reasons, some people would rather work a Sunday or long Saturday hours to help with bills.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really cared, though I understand the complaint for full time workers who only have the weekend to shop. It does make planning your excursions more difficult. Also means Saturdays are a bit of a nightmare.

Now that I'm a stay at home mom, I have to be honest. I rarely shop on the weekends anymore. I've become quite spoiled to the no-crowd times early in the morning during the week. I've also found, however, that Saturday night after dinner is a pretty chill time to hit grocery and drug stores. (I'd never go to the mall on a Saturday night.)

I rather like that there are still businesses left who allow themselves (owners, managers, employees) to take this traditional "day of rest" off. I think they are rare and it isn't a bad thing to me. Plus, you can so much shopping online now anyway that getting out to be in a physical store isn't as much of a necessity of you can plan it right.

7. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when everything was closed on Sundays except maybe the odd gas station. Limited hours on Sundays replaced a full closure of the shops. Now I think the short hours are more of a carry over of the old ways rather than a religious thing. We still have government liquor stores that are closed on Sundays as well as many public facilities.

We are now a society that operates seven days a week. I think we need to cast off our old ways and embrace a system that allows people to shop on their schedules. For me, Sunday is a work day. I would like to be able to shop for groceries in the morning before I start work (as I work in the afternoon) but I can't do it. Smaller businesses may remain closed as they don't have enough staff for seven days a week. Libraries, and other public facilities have the staff and should be available to those who don't work traditional hours.

8. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a fairly small town so quite a few places do in fact close on sunday, which can be annoying. Actually no ,scratch that, its not annoying, its obnoxious and pointless.

9. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    Although I can understand why people would want shops to be open with normal hours on Sundays (work-related or other commitments) employees who have been working for a whole week obviously need some form of a break don't they? That is the case for many small businesses, but I don't see why larger businesses with a range of employees cannot operate on Sundays with normal hours. Perhaps religious commitments I guess.

10. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    II don't think so because it's not fair for the employees. They already have to work very late at times and they need some type of a Guarantee times when the store closes. People don't really need to store to be open that late either because you can buy it earlier because you know it closes earlier. Larger businesses can open later because they can rotate employees but I don't see why they have to do it.

11. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I remember when stores weren't open on Sunday either and I actually preferred it that way because they were honoring Sunday's for religious reasons. Personally I do view Sunday's from a religious perspective and believe that it is a day of rest. What others do is of course their prerogative.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that everything should be open on Sundays. even banks and post offices, because most people who work until 5PM during the week don't have a chance to make it to the post office before it closes.
    There have been times when I hurried to make it to the post office on a Saturday before 1PM and they were closed when I got there. For people who work a 40 hour week, weekends are when we catch up and get errands done. If the employees need weekends off, then they should hire someone to cover the stores on Sundays.

13. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    "Should" is the wrong word you're looking for by the way. There's no RIGHT or appropriate way for a business to operate. Remember, business doesn't exist to please customers. It exists to make money. Of course, it'll try to please customers IN ORDER to make money but that's just a different way of looking at their inherent greed. I honestly don't care whether a business opens on a Sunday or not during regular hours. I would PREFER that it does since it's more convenient for me. If a store doesn't open on Sundays, well it's too bad for that store since they just lost my business on a Sunday, which is the day I'm most willing to go out and shop. I wouldn't hold any grudge against them; consumers make decisions based on our pockets. The business-customer relationship is strictly professional and that's all there is to it.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Without customers, there is no business. So businesses SHOULD exist to please customers because if the customers leave then the business will have to close down.
    A lot of businesses seem to agree with you and it shows in the way that they treat customers. Many companies treat customers as tools to make money and not as the reason they are still in business.

I agree that it is strictly a professional relationship but they are not making money if they close their doors when customers are looking for somewhere to shop.

15. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    No, shops shouldn't be open normal hours on a Sunday. If they were going to, then they'd have to give their workers more time off during the rest of the week, which would result in people complaining about that instead.

Sunday is the one day of the week where they don't have to work a full shift. I'd say let them keep that!

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought businesses being closed on Sunday had more to do with church hours and the loss of business during that time, then it having to do with it being a day reserved for the sabbath. But I could be wrong... either way I think it's a good idea to give workers a bit of a break on that day.

#16Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For those who are doing it for religious reasons, they're not going to be open at all on Sundays. I'm okay with stores in general being closed or open limited hours on Sundays. Sometimes it's inconvenient, but Sundays are usually slower business days in general and it's nice to not have to be open long hours 7 days a week.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, all the large malls and some small businesses are open the whole day during Sundays, like from 9 AM to 9 PM. So it's quite convenient to go shopping during a Sunday over here because the hours that the mall is open is similar to the normal weekday hours of operations. The only time that the malls are fully closed is during Holy Thursday and Good Friday. On Black Saturday, they will be open half-day.

19. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    This is also a large part of it. No one really wants to go shopping on sundays, although the trend is rising, so it saves the shop owners money by not having to pay employees to work on Sunday.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't have such a policy i our area, and I imagine it can feel a bit frustrating if it were the case here seeing as Sunday might be the only leisure day for some people and not having shops to go to on your weekend vacation would be terrible. I think they should just allow it and offer bonuses to the employees who choose to work on their weekends, but at the same time, I also think it should be left up to the shop owners themselves because it is their business and they should be allowed to run it as they see fit. They will probably be pressured into it if their competition were making more than them anyway, so it's a practical system that would eventually work itself out.