Do You Trust Sellers On Big Sites With Little To No Feedback?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by zuulspaceman • Jul 26, 2014.

1. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    I never can bring myself to buy from a new seller because I don't want to deal with them if they're not going to mail my item. I know big sites protect buyers from this, but it's not fair to those that have good intentions for me to not be trusting everyone. Only once I tried buying a book from a seller on Amazon with 5 ratings that wouldn't mail me my item, and that was really annoying because it took a month to get my money back!

How do you find out whether or not you can trust a seller with little to no feedback? There are a couple of great books I need but the seller is new, and I don't want them to just mess me around because they're a little expensive!

2. askanison

askanisonMember

Threads:
    You can buy them using Paypal, they cover it if it is a scam, or just find another seller. Ebay is a good example. They have a buy now feature to avoid the wait of an auction.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying from sellers with little feedback on Amazon or eBay. Just because they have very little feedback doesn't mean that they have not had many successful transactions. Sometimes, buyers neglect to leave feedback for sellers so feedback does not necessarily reflect the amount of successful sales. Even if they are a very new seller with little feedback, I figure that everyone has to start somewhere so I am willing to give them a chance.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just go to another seller if the item is expensive, but if the item is less than $25, then I think I can risk it and I will try out those sellers that have no feedback. After all, I will be buying using Paypal anyway, so if something goes wrong, then I would be able to get back my money. If you're looking to buy books, then bookdepository offers free worldwide shipping and they're legit, so you might wanna try them out.

#4Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    I think what I'll do is wait a week or two and see if these sellers actually are getting people their items. I know I'm protected by the site because it's Amazon, but the last time I worked with someone new and they didn't send anything it took over a month to get my money back. I got it back, but it was a big pain waiting that long because they wanted just to be sure I didn't end up getting it anyways.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I buy only specific kinds of products online, I normally get them from the same sellers all the time. Should these sellers 'disappear' then probably when looking for someone else to buy from, I'd look at the feedback they've got first before deciding to buy from them.

If they don't have any feedback then quite obviously I wouldn't buy from them. I never see the point of taking unnecessary risks when with a little digging you can find someone with a good track record.

7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Depends really, doesn't it? Everyone has to start somewhere, so even the big sellers were little unknowns at some point, with no one to vouch for them. I've been there as well, as the seller, and been offering great products for less than other sellers, but because I didn't have the feedback, not many people wanted to take the risk. The people that did believe in me though got the best service I could offer them, and if they became frequent customers as some did, I'd offer them discounts on their later orders as a thanks for believing in me to begin with.

8. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    You just have to take a chance!

If they don't deliver the item as promised, never buy from them again
    and tell everybody you know about them too.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I take chances with sellers with no feedback because I know paypal has buyer protection and my credit card company has fraud protection and allows chargebacks. I've only had to use ebay/paypal buyer protection a handful of times and only one time a chargeback with my credit card, and I buy online a lot.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really like to shop at stores like Amazon and eBay because I am afraid of the sellers. If it something from Amazon themselves it's perfect, but if it's from on external seller I am more cautious. On the few times I bought from sellers, I made sure to look for those with excellent reputation, as well as many comments and feedback from customers.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd only risk it of the item were inexpensive or if they were the only ones who's old it. Otherwise, I'd usually go for sellers that have as close to a hundred percent positive feedback as possible. I think it's just wise to take advantage of this feature online because this gives consumers a lot more power and also gives a better chance of making educated decisions.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd avoid sellers with little to no feedback, no matter what site we're talking about. Of course, you can sometimes order from these sellers with no problem, but I've found myself encountering more problems than success stories, especially on Amazon. Plenty of other sites, including Best Buy and Walmart, allow third party sellers to some degree, and they're pretty unreliable and returns are a hassle there. Amazon is better about returns for third party sellers, but that doesn't protect you from every headache that can arise through such transactions.

13. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't actively seek out buyers with little no feedback but if they have a hard to find item or an item at a much lower price I will give them a whirl. I tend to look at the current feedback they have and make a judgement call. I try to remember that everyone started out with no feedback at some point and lots of people don't leave feedback so it's hard to tell how many transactions any seller has been a party to.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why would you be afraid of the sellers? I'm an ebay seller and I'm just a human being. I'm a single mother and I sell on eBay to help make ends meet. I have 100% feedback and I have been on eBay 13 years. I know other eBay sellers on Facebook and we are just people trying to support our families. Many of the eBay sellers that I know are nice and professional people who go to great lengths to ship out items quickly and well packaged. It's unfortunate that because of a couple of bad apples, people badmouth and disrespect all eBay sellers.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Also I don't know why they are worried about sellers from Amazon. If you happen to come across a bad seller, you can easily get refunded.
    I do end up avoiding trying to buy from Ebay when I can because of those times I get screwed over but I have bought this year and it wasn't a bad experience at all. With ebay you just have to be more cautious and look for good feedback but I don't think the number of comments matter.

16. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    No, I try to stay away from them. Buying online can already be a bit risky. I'd rather go with someone with a history of feedback. I've never had a situation where I couldn't find a reputable seller. I've been ripped off a couple of times and had to go through a big ordeal to get my money back. I'd rather be safe than sorry.