Do you use anything other than Google Maps?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by troutski • Aug 7, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, of course, Google Maps is the most popular app for smartphones. Maps is used by millions and millions of Android users, however; other map apps do exist, especially on iOS. Do any of you guys use the other apps? I stick with Maps because it comes stock with most phones and it's highly effective for navigation and other purposes. What do you think?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How old are you? If you think that maps is the most used app out there, the teens here in my place think otherwise. They don't care about Google Maps or any other map app for that matter. You know what their most used app is? It's Facebook. They just want to connect with their friends, update their status, and show to the world what they're eating or doing every second of the day.

Do I use other apps other than Google Maps? Yep. I almost never open Google Maps. What I always use is Google Chrome (to browse the web) and S Note to, well, take note of things. :)

I only use Google Maps when I go to a place which I know very little of.

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    What exactly were you trying to ask us? If we use any other apps for navigation other than Google Maps or whether or not we use any other apps?
    I'll answer both of the questions. Firstly, I use MapMyRide to track my speed and distance traveled when I'm out riding my bicycle. I don't use any other navigation apps other than that and Google Maps. Secondly, yes, I use other apps as well, why would I want to buy a smartphone just to use Google Maps? That would be absurd!

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also use MapQuest when I need to go some place I am not familiar with. MapQuest can get you lost so I do not use it often. Google is still my go to mapping source. I do not use a GPS in the car I don't have much faith in the GPS since it has gotten me lost a few times.

5. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I think he meant the most popular of map apps, not apps in general.
    I only use Google Maps, because it's the one with the biggest database of all map apps and I enjoy their Routing system too.

6. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have used the app Waze before...it is a social sharing app where users actually post on accidents, police presence on roads and road debris to get points...it also shares the time it takes to get through a traffic jam etc. The only problem is that it is still a Google company, but it may be a worthwhile app for you to try.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I only have Google Maps on my phone to be honest. I think it's the best around so why would i look for something else? It's totally a great app and it does the job really well. I'm happy with Google Maps. :p

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I use

app. It's an app I downloaded a couple of years ago. It's basically an app to plan for road trips across states, so there is a search box, support and guides. If you want to use it, you need to create a free account with the app or access it with Facebook. The articles in their Stories section are often a good read, accompanied by crisp photographs of the places they review. You know, it can help you greatly when planning your first or next road trips.

#8Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  9. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I have been a solid MapQuest user for years. Google maps is not very accurate for trips. I know there are all sorts of navigation devices you can get now, like Tom-tom, but I am still old school and use MapQuest. I print it out, look at the route for short cuts or other variations that could be handy. I like it shows other roads nearby, this has saved me more then once when I had to detour, I also like it shows nearby restaurants and gas stations.

The IPhone apps are great, but I don't think they tell you how many miles you need to go down a road, they just say turn here. They are accurate because they are usually driven via satellite, but the satellite does not know what road hazards may be ahead.

10. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Hmmm... I primarily use Google Maps for map and trip planning needs. I do use MapQuest from time and time for long distance planning, but Google Maps serves those needs sufficiently. I used to use MapQuest exclusively, but switched around four years ago to this service due to better integration with other Google Apps, and better responsiveness.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use both Mapquest and Google, it depends on where I am looking. I find Mapquest easier to navigate and they have more local landmarks listed, so if you are looking to visit an area if can highlight what is there.

Google can be good for a quick location search so I can see where something is in relation to another city or where it is in the country. It can be annoying when Google is the default, but they can be more up to date than other maps.