Do You Use Bing?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Nov 20, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been using Bing for searches lately and I've been fairly satisfied with the results. I'd even go as far as to say that it's now probably just as good as Google's results, and from what I hear it will just get better the more I use it. I guess the only thing I'd fault it with is that the suggestion box or autocomplete isn't as good as Google's but like I said it may get better the more I use it.

To be honest, I don't really have a reason to use this as an alternative because Google does a great job, but I'm more just testing it out of curiosity and also so I could feel less reliant on Google even if just a little.

Do you use Bing? Why or why not?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will use Bing on accident sometimes. Depending on which browser I am using at the time, I will try to type something into the Google search or URL bar, and accidentally not do it correctly, and then a Bing search will come up. I don't ever really look at the results to be honest with you. I just know that they are not going to be as accurate or as thorough as that of Google's search results so, I always erase the page and just start again.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried to use Bing with the rewards points system, but because I knew what I was looking for it took too long to get the results I wanted. It didn't give me what I was looking for compared to Google and the results less accurate from the key words I used. As a result I don't trust them as much, but have used them occasionally, but I still double check with Google (no choice!) just in case.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I use Bing a lot. It has been my default search engine for a few months now. Google still does a far better job at returning results, especially for obscure queries. But Bing also works just fine. I particularly like their image search results and their homepage. Bing Rewards is also an incentive of using their search engine.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Bing occasionally when I get one of those annoying Google puzzles to prove that I'm human. The number of searches I conduct every day would raise suspicions I understand but since there are lots of search engines, I'd rather not solve the Captcha puzzle. However I'm always less than impressed with the relevance of the search results Bing returns.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I think the primary reason to use Bing as an alternative search engine to Google is the Bing Rewards they have in effect. Otherwise, why use them when Google is the clear and effective leader in the industry that demonstrates that they are simply the best? Of course you might have some that will prefer either for whatever reason, but I don't really feel I have a reason to use Bing and even if I do attempt to make use of it, I'm always thinking about Google when I want to do research, so what's the point?

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I log out of Hotmail and I need to search something, then I briefly use Bing to test it out. The results are satisfactory, but when it comes to more complex search terms, it fails to bring the results that I expect. The same goes for Yahoo, so I just use Google.

8. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    No. I dont use BING. It is just way below the standard of google in terms of search results.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I had absolutely no idea that Bing even offered a points system! How does that even work? can you retrieve the points for real money? Gift cards? Sounds like Swagbucks or something. If Google stopped working, then I guess I'd settle for using Bing. But when Google is there and it yields better results, without a shadow of a doubt, why would you even consider using Bing for anything other than the points system??

The search bar from Bing once installed itself in my browser once, and it was hell to get rid of it.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bing rewards doesn't seem to work in the UK, but don't worry, you're not missing out. When I was in the USA, I rarely used Bing as it took so long to get any searches done and it is gift cards you exchange them for. They offer lots of sign up bonuses and also put up lots of annoying banners to remind you to use Bing, so I got a few points, but I did not feel it was worth it to use it just for the points as it ended up taking more time. I guess they are paying for my time in some ways, but I got more frustrated and no points is worth that.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    I actually had no idea that there was a difference between Bing in other countries. You learn something new every day right? Lol. I live in the UK and I have never heard of this, so that makes sense. Yeah, It looks like my guess was spot on. Swagbucks is the same. when you use their search engine, then will sometimes reward you with points. When you get a certain amount of points, you can exchange them for gift cards, Paypal money, and even signed baseball cards, although who would want those I have no clue lol.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really use Bing because I already search with Swagbucks for points so I don't see the point in earning points for searches somewhere else. I like Bing's advertising and their hip image.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like Bing and therefore never use it. To me it seems way below standard. I am a language teacher and often need very accurate information about grammar and vocabulary issues, and Bing simply doesn't deliver the high quality resource material that I require. I tried it out a few times, but gave up on it quickly, as it seemed to be a waste of time.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bing used to be great for specific kinds of searches but was and still is pretty much useless when someone is looking for 'general' information. Those who used Bing to find videos said their results were better than Google's which favored their vid site [youtube].

A lot has changed since then. Bing videos became a little popular and I'm sure they too, will copy Google's business model.

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I've ever compared the search results, but yeah, I've used Bing in the past, mostly for the rewards points. I was used to having a very plain Google page as my homepage that I didn't want to give it up for Bing, because it was a quick load and I was on a slower computer. I haven't thought about changing as of late though.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Who says you can't search on both? It's not like it takes much time. Also how do you get points on Swagbucks for searching? At least Bing rewards you everytime. Swagbucks never gives me points anymore since they switched to Yahoo.

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I switched to bing when I found out about the rewards. It sure isn't much per day for me, because I don't do many searches, but at least it is one more small way I am accumulating some pennies. Every little bit helps.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not that I'm underestimating Bing or anything, but because I'm not accustomed to using it, I rarely do my searches there. My browser's default website is Google so I didn't bother to explore other search engines and kept the settings as-is. I do use Bing for indexing particular websites but that's that. Maybe in future I will consider doing my searches there, but there's no immediate need for now.

19. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I use Bing for about 30% of my searches. Perhaps less since the implementation of the Bing Rewards program. I install Bing on my laptop and have been using it to search on the web, but not all the time. What I like about Bing is that it is very visual, with the high resolution and quality photographs they have in the background.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never do. I actually tried to use it once and I could not adapt to it. I guess I am just too used to using Google. I guess Google is just such a habit now that I don't even think to use anything else, and whenever I try I can't get used to it. Also, at work Google is all we use for search engines and it would be weird to use something else because I still have to use that in there.