Do You Use Coconut Oil?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Zyni • Feb 11, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you use coconut oil for health and beauty applications? I keep hearing a lot about it and how it can be used in numerous ways. It is supposed to be good for skin, hair, and more. If you do use it, what do you use it for? Do you mix it with anything? Do you make your own products with it?

I might have to give it a try. I love the smell of coconut. Does the oil have that fragrance too?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the smell of coconut oil, too, @Zyni@Zyni ! ! I actually use it in several different ways. I have the regular coconut oil that smell and tastes like coconut, and I use that as a supplement, either added into coffee or a smoothie, or just plop a spoonful in my mouth. Sometimes, I massage a bit of the colony oil into my hair and leave it on to condition my hair and then wash it out when I shampoo.
    I also get the cheaper coconut il for cooking with, and I like the yellow coconut oil that they sell for making popcorn. It adds a beautiful golden color to fried chicken or whatever else you are cooking with it.
    I also have products made with coconut oil that I love. I have a hand/face cream that I found at Sam's Club, and it smells like fresh coconut, and really softens my skin, besides giving it that wonderful fragrance.
    Then, also from Sam' Club, I have a shampoo/conditioner set that is great for adding moisturizer to my hair as it cleans it, and leave my hair feeling oft and silky.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My Mom came out of the hospital and needed nurse outpatient help and one of the nurses got to talking to Mom about coconut oil for dry skin which my Mom suffers from. She loves coconut oil for skin and health. We use it on our skin and drink a couple of tablespoon of it, extra virgin and organic ones, for keeping diabetes 2 at bay. It works nicely too for us.
    Articles about coconut oil to combat diabetes:

Article about coconut oil for skin remedies.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use coconut oil since I am under the impression that it will feel greasy on my skin, but I think I can ingest it if needed because coconut oil doesn't taste so bad.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if there's an essential oil version of coconut oil. I'll have to check my local BodyShop. I have two different types of coconut oil, but don't use it regularly to know if it's doing any good. It's just laziness. I've used it on my hair, hands and feet. It works like magic on skin and hair. I've heard it makes hair grow fast, but I don't know for sure as I don't use it often enough. It sank in very nicely into my dry feet and left them very nice and soft.

6. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    coconut oil works wonders!

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a native delicacy called biko, it is a snack food made of glutinous rice. It goes best with Latik, a derivative from coconut milk. To extract Latik, the coconut milk is boiled and then the white liquid will turn into oil and Latik. What we really needed was that latik to enhance the taste of the biko. And the coconut oil? I use that to apply hot oil on my scalp. After rubbing the oil on my scalp, I would use the hair dryer so the oil is heated and my scalp is free of dandruff.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like "home remedies' and making my own products, using things like coconut, because doing so usually helps me save a lot of money. I failed to mention that part in the original post. Since so many health and beauty products are quite pricey, it's great to be able to make your own and save some cash. I will have to research the prices and find the best places to shop for coconut oil so I can make some stuff.

Thanks for that info @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe. That's really interesting and helpful.

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is also being used to help people who have brain diseases, such as Alzheimer's . It can serve as fuel for the brain when it is not getting enough fuel from cholesterol, which is what the brain uses for fuel. So many people want to lower their cholesterol, so they take drug to do that, and then they get Alzheimer's. Taking coconut il can help stop that from what I have read.
    We always try to buy fresh coconuts and eat them because it helps to keep your skin and hair moisturizer during the winter months when it seems to get dry and chapped. Probably, just eating a couple spoonfuls of the oil every day would do that same thing.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I bought some coconut oil recently and have been using it to cook with. Someone on one of the other forums posted something about a medical article stating that coconut oil may not be as beneficial as people think, and can even be harmful. I have not read it yet though. Everytime we get excited about a product it seems like this happens! I do know that coconut water is not the miracle hydration and electrolyte bonus it once was thought to be. However, until I hear definitely otherwise I will use coconut oil.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - much as using extra virgin coconut oil is currently an extremely popular trend - mainly due to all the media hype that its a miracle cure for virtually everything - I'm not at all tempted to use it.

Simply because - as there is no reliable evidence from any reputable or respected sources to substantiate or verify any of the wildly misleading claims made about coconut oil - let alone any to confirm that regularly consuming it would actually be beneficial to health - but there IS strong conclusive scientific evidence to confirm - that consuming large amounts of saturated fat - does have a negative effect on all aspects of our health - and particularly our hearts.

As coconut oil is 90% saturated fat - I will - until such time that there is strong evidence to confirm that it would be more beneficial to health to replace oils low in saturate fats - with ones that are high in saturate fats - continue to use the oils I've always used - extra virgin olive oil for food and extra virgin argan oil for all my hair and beauty needs - as not only do both do everything and more that coconut oil is said to do for a fraction of the cost - but more importantly - both are beneficial to my health.

I would however just add - that - although I too am in favor of using natural remedies where possible - as natural doesn't necessarily mean that it something is safe or that it will have no side effects - it is always advisable to check with a Health Care Professional prior to using ANY natural remedies and particularly so if taking prescribed medication.

Also please aware - that as some very misleading claims about the benefits coconut oil have been found - to have a negative effect rather than a beneficial effect on people's health and in particular the ones relating to heart disease and the one suggesting that coconut oil could be used as a treatment or even as a cure for Alzheimer's Disease -

that not only is there no scientific evidence to support those or this claim
    which can be verified here

but as there IS strong evidence indicating - that coconut oil can have a detrimental effect on those suffering with Alzheimer's, Heart related conditions and Cancer - all the Organizations related to those conditions - have been issuing worldwide warnings on the use of coconut oil - for patients suffering from these diseases - since as far back as 2012.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I just bought my first container of coconut oil from Costco. I've heard a lot about it's health benefits so I thought I'd give it a try. So far I've used it to fry chicken. Coconut oil has a higher smoke point say olive oil so it's good frying foods. It also has healthy saturated fats and antioxidant and antiviral properties. As far as using it as a beauty product, I've tried it on my hair as a conditioner. It was quite oily and I left it on overnight and washed it out in the morning. It left my hair soft but not a silky as I'd hoped. Maybe I need to try this few days in a row. I've also tried on dry skin. It works great on healing dry skin and making your skin feel smooth. It's also great on chapped lips. It smoothes out the rough skin and protects. It has a nice coconut fragrance too.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For sure. It's always wise to thoroughly research things before use and to read more than one source where claims are made regarding serious health issues (I did find the idea that it could help with certain diseases very interesting, and I will do some further reading). I also agree that's it's important to consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist for potential interactions. This is especially true when you're ingesting something.

Here, I was basically talking about hair and skin conditioner. I was basically just looking for opinions at this point, and hoping to see if this is a more cost effective alternative to some of the health and beauty items many of us use.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    In fairness - I would just add - as this is something that not everyone may be aware of - but its equally important when considering using something topically.

Simply because - as anything applied to the skin is easily absorbed into the blood stream - and therefore does have the potential to cause an adverse reaction in just the same way that consuming something orally does - its generally advisable to take the exact same precautions - regardless of whether it is something that is going to be ingested orally or used topically on the skin.

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I’m a big fan of coconut oil. I find it makes a great moisturizer. I use it when my skin is extremely dry. I also occasionally use it on the ends of my hair. I leave it in for 30 mins then wash it out. The only issue is that sometimes it takes several washes before it all comes out. I also find it makes a great make up remover, especially around the eye area.

I don’t use it for cooking or eating as much as I should but I find it makes a great beauty product!

16. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    Coconut oil has its many benefits. you can apply coconut oil anywhere. Or you can mix tea tree oil with coconut oil.

17. Barbra_Klawsin

Barbra_KlawsinNew Member

Threads:
    I LOVE coconut oil! I bought a big tub of it and immediately halved it - half stayed in the kitchen for cooking and the other half went into a container which I then parceled out further. The 2nd was for the bathroom. One part of that 2nd half was for moisturizing my body. I have exema and in the dead of winter when there is just so much dryness in the air I really suffer. The coconut oil does wonders. Is it oily? Of course. But it does soak in rather well and I often put it on my feet where I can go ahead and put socks on anyway to contain the transference of oil. The other part of the bathroom half is used for anything to do with my head/hair/face. I've got dyed hair which dries out so I use a coconut oil treatment to keep it shiny and smooth. I use it to take off makeup. I use it to moisturize my skin. I couldn't go a day without it now in some way or other!

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I use coconut oil, and I love it! It is so useful and for such a host of different things. I actually canot believe that there was ever a time where I used to not use coconut oil at all. I use it for my teeth, for dietary purposes, for skin purposes. Literally, it is one of the bet substances that we humans have.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:

#19Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
  20. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I use coconut oil all the time. I literally have a jar within arms reach of me right now, no exaggeration. I use it primarily for my hair and skin, but I also use it in my homemade mouthwash and occasionally for special purposes that are better left undiscussed.