Do you use fabric conditioners?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by chiofthenorns • Nov 2, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My mom used to buy Fabric conditioner for our clothes to make them smell good and easier to iron. However, I am kind of allergic to them. I get rashes, and my asthma is triggered by the smell. I am curious as to how manu here uses fabcon on their clothes. What brand do you use?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to use fabric conditioner,especially for my towels and bedding. I choose them by the scent these days and it does help towels to last longer and not to be so stiff when they dry. I use Fairy when it's on offer, other wise I'm not fussy and buy the store generic brand.

Many do two in ones now, so I don't use it as often. It's something when you are on a budget you can do without.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not, my sister had extremely sensitive skin as a baby and my mother was told to switch to scent free detergents and soaps and not use any fabric softener or conditioners because they are common irritants. I have never gotten used to the smells of fabric softener, so I don't like it. I do not want to smell my clothes if they are clean. Clean to me means there is nothing to small at all.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    No, we never used fabric softener, especially not on our linen. My mother believed that washcloths needed to be their original level of softness to effectively clean our bodies, if they became too soft we were just massaging ourselves on a daily basis, but not getting clean. If you want some level of fragrance, then you can do what my mother did: she'd spray a piece of paper with a perfume that she liked enough to once buy, but was no longer her favorite and just stick it in the drawer.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as I'd like to use fabric conditioner to soften my clothes, I tend to do my laundry in a hurried manner so I always end up forgetting to use it. To save time, I just buy detergents with built-in fabcon. I'm not much into imported brands so most of the brands I use are homegrown. Del, Downy and Surf detergent with fabcon are my preferred brands.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We do use fabric softeners and sometimes scent boosters as well, it makes a big difference to me as to how long they smell nice and just how nice they are overall out of the dryer. We've tried a couple different brands but so far I probably end up getting Snuggle the most often. My husband and I both have somewhat sensitive skin, so I don't like to switch it up too much if we find one that works for us and that has a nice smell.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used fabric conditioners in years. I can't stand the smell, and it's quite hard to find one that is perfume-free. Even the one in the health food store has a scent. I feel bothered by smells that linger around me all day. In some instances in the past, my skin started to take on the smell of the fabric softener, and many people commented on my "perfume". I simply don't like to be engulfed in artificial scents.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We use it sometimes although I don't really notice the difference that much to be honest. I wouldn't be able to tell if my clothes had fabric conditioner used on them but Maybe I would if I just started taking more notice. I don't deem it necessary though as I don't really have much problem with my clothes not being soft as long as they are clean and fresh when I use them.

9. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I use fabric softeners on my clothes and on my blankets, sheets, and other linen. I really like the way that Snuggle smells, I also like Bounce fabric softener.
    I like to use different varieties as far as smells are concerned.
    When I have fresh, clean smelling laundry, it makes my whole house smell good, and the clothes smell good when I put them on. I also like a brand called Suavitel. I use different scents of it.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My grandmother keeps giving me them. So I couldn't just not use them. Otherwise, she's going to be hurt. And because she gives me a lot, I have to use them really frequently and that means every time that I take a bath. It really does a good job in my hair. It makes my hair really soft, smooth and fragrant. Even if I sweat, my hair still looks and smells good. Also, after I use a conditioner for my hair, it really feels good to touch them. They are as if pampering my own face.

11. semizeu33

semizeu33Banned

Threads:
    I am going to look a bit more to see:)

12. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I think fabric conditioners are cool addition to our laundry experience. It protects the fabric (as claimed), retain color, add beautiful scent on your clothes... but in the past, we are not used to it and to me... it is just additional expenses. When you do your laundry right, you don't need this fabric conditioner. I think.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use fabric softener. My mom did when I was a kid, but I didn't continue that tradition. I like my clothes to smell clean, not perfume-like. I also don't like carrying around a extra bottle of stuff to the laundromat.

I don't even like the Bounce sheets because of the smell.

14. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    When I use to live with my ex girlfriend over a year ago. She loved using fabric softener every time she does her clothes. She would even yelled at me for not using it at times! Now, I find myself buying fabric softener and using it every time. I guess people in your life can effect the way you do things later on.

15. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I use fabric conditioners for daily washing. In a way, the liquid normalizes the day's laundry from unwanted scents later after they dry. I like to have the clothes smelling a certain way. I don't think they are an addition at all, because it's impossible to have the laundry smelling as nice without the conditioners.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use Downy and recently, I saw some cheap, generic brand of fabric conditioner on the sink, so I used it. But I don't use it on house clothes, only on outdoor clothes.

17. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use fabric conditioners. I don't like the smell of them. I just let my clothes dry in the sun and they have that sun fresh smell. If I want an extra scent, I just put some essential oil on a piece paper and place it in the drawer with them.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use fabric softener when it's on sale or when I get a free sample. Just using the washer and dryer in my apartment building is kind of expensive so I spend as little as possible on extras like fabric softener and scent booster.

19. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that using fabric softener does make the clothes have less static electricity in them, plus it also makes the clothes feel nice and soft. However, itiss also expensive,and I don't like messing with those little dryer strips, and I forget to put the liquid fabric softener into the rinse water in time.
    Then , I read about using the liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle, and that works perfect for me ! ! i use about 1/3 fabric softener and 2/3 water and then spray some of the clothes as I put them into the dryer. When I have towels, or sweatshirts, or other soft articles of clothing, those are the ones I spray. It does not late a lot, and the bottle of fabric softener lasts a long time, so it makes it both easy and cheap to use.

20. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I almost never use fabric softener, and the times that I did it was because it was right there. Detergent does the job really well, so I just save myself some pennies and skip the fabric softener.