Do You Use Grocery Apps To Save Money & Stay Organized?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Jul 30, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mentioned to a friend that I was looking for an old fashioned adding machine app (not the typical calculator, which usually only shows the total, not each separate price), so I can add up items as I walk through the grocery (or other) store, and this is what he recommended. It looks a bit complicated to me, and might be more than what I need, but that sums up our personalities perfectly.

Do you use any apps when shopping, or when planning your shopping trips? If so, share, so we can all find the best one for us.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used my calculator to add up items as I shop but I have not used an app for shopping. I think I would use this app when I shop because it does list the items and the prices. thanks for sharing.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're welcome @Pat@Pat. I tend to shop with a maximum budget, and occasionally, have to put items back, so it will be helpful to know how much each item costs, so I can better calculate which it would be best to put back. My friend swears by this app, so I'm going to give it a whirl, and see how it goes.

4. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I had never heard of an app like that before, but it seems like it would be a good one. I might have to look into that because it would totally help me plan my shopping when I go out. I usually use the apps that you can get cash back with when you take a picture of your receipt. I have been able to save some money that way.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't currently but I have been thinking about it and plan to start soon. There are some that save you money too and I'm very interested in that lol.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to just estimate from looking at the sales ad as to how much I could buy without going over my grocery budget for the week. That worked fairly well, as long as I was careful and didn't forget anything that I needed.
    Now, I live closer to the store, and I buy in smaller amounts. I also look for the store closeouts, and stock up on things when they are drastically reduced.
    This means that my storage room has the extras , so I do not have to just use a can of something and then replace it. Sometimes, I can buy something in bulk, and then it lasts longer; so I do that when I can, as well.
    Plus, I go through the store coupons and load those onto the loyalty card, and try to save even more that way.
    I did put a shopping app on my cell phone, but I found that I never used it; so I just deleted it again.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    This looks like a great app. Is it only for android though? I may have to look this up. I use a few apps to save me money and get money back. I use Ibotta, checkout 51, savings star, and find & save. I also use Shopkick since it is pretty easy money when you just have to walk in certain stores or scan items. Receipt Hog is another one I use to scan my receipts and that is all you have to do with this one. It takes a while to reach cash out but for a few seconds of your time it is fine with me. The nice thing about savings star is that the cash back on there is the same as some of the coupons that I use so you are getting double the amount off of the product you are buying.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that's a pretty innovative app. I will try to use that one of these days when I clear out some space in my phone's system. I do have a notepad app that allows me to create any kind of checklist - including your own shopping list. When I shop, I list down everything there and just check on the check boxes for each listed item I manage to purchase. I view it from time to time just to see if I left anything out.