Do You Use Paid Virius Protection Software?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Ruth • Mar 5, 2014.

1. Ruth

RuthMember

Threads:
    Computer viruses are a serious threat. If your computer is not properly protect an hacker could get your credit card information and do all shorts of bad things to your computer. It's needless to say that a virus protection software is a must. However, should you use a paid virus protection software or will a free one do the job? What do you think?

2. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    Every yea I go out and purchase Norton Anti Virus. It is a pretty good deal because they can protect up to three different computers on one account. It is the best and safest anti virus software in my opinion.

3. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I've got a Mac. My favorite thing about them, of course, is that MacKeeper is essentially a joke---not that there aren't any viruses for Mac. There have been one or two, which Apple personally addresses since they aren't exactly overwhelmed with them.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I use Microsoft security essentials which is free. This antivirus is much better than even other paid versions. It does not use a lot of computer resources and gets regular updates. I would recommend it to anyone at any given moment. I hear that in Windows 8 it is renamed to Windows defender so no need to add another antivirus.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, just like mike says, Microsoft Security Essentials is free and does a way better job than many paid anti-virus, so I would not go for those especially if you have Windows 8, because MSE is called Windows Defender with Windows 8 and comes already installed with the OS.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi, I haven't paid for virus protection for over 3 years now and have never had a problem. I bought my laptop from a small, local computer store. The owner is a computer expert and recommended to me Spybot Search & Destroy, which is a free antispyware utility that targets adware, malicious code, and other threats.
    All I have to do every couple of weeks is to do a manual clean-up, which is not hard to do. I simply press the button where it says: "Check for problems" and the program does the rest. Then I "immunize" my computer and everything is good again. So far I have never had a problem with this system.

7. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I currently use Avast for my laptop. It is a great Antivirus and I use it as more of a backup than my primary procedure. The best antivirus is common sense, don't download from places that don't add up, nothing is truly free. If your computer is acting odd in any possible way, run your antivirus to check for threats regularly. I haven't had to use my antivirus other than to check for over a year now, use your brain to decide if something is safe.

8. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I have never paid for a virus protection software. This is due to the reason that the popular free to use antivirus softwares serve the purpose very efficiently. I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for quite sometime and I have never encountered any issues or problems with it. And it comes with the added benefit that it takes less amount of memory and disk space in comparison to other softwares.

9. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    Never, ever pay for virus protection if you're on a dime. It's just as effective to stick to Microsoft Security Essentials, and honestly if you don't like those, then you can choose from Avira, AVG, or Avast (triple A) to protect your computer. And they will. Any virus problems they don't solve, you can solve by using Malwarebytes, which is more oriented towards things like trojans. Haven't had any problems. Also, personal caution and adblock can go pretty far, preventing you from ever even SEEING problematic material. Stay away from shady websites, etc.

10. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I use Avast Free. I have used it for years now. They try to trick you into buying a paid service but if you know what to click and what not, it's not a problem. Some people don't like avast for their intrusive popups but you can turn off all popups and sound so I don't think this is a problem.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't really afford buying software, since so much is needed, thus, as an antivirus I use Avast, the free version. Compared with the others I tested I find this one to be non intrusive and effective. Many users tend to favor one antivirus over the other and they go for the payed versions that they consider safer and with better protection. In reality I think that along with using an antivirus you must be also be careful with the websites you visit. If you have a habit of installing all the toolbars in the world you shouldn't wonder why your PC is full of viruses.

So, to keep it short: I think the free versions are as better as the payed ones.

12. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I never have paid for any antivirus software and have had good luck so far. I use the free version of avast for my laptop. It seems to work very well. If you keep your laptop optimized and updated you shouldn't have any problems with viruses is you are using avast.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to, but now I find that the free versions are just as effective so I don't think any small difference really justifies the quite expensive monthly definitions subscription. Some of them are up to around £35 per month, which seems quite extortionate.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't remember ever paying for an antivirus program ever. There are tons of really solid antivirus programs online that's available for free. However most of them is free for a limited time only so what i normally do is do torrents. Torrents include cracks so you can have the program for a longer period of time and for free. I know torrenting is not legit but oh well, everybody does it.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time that I have ever paid for an anti-virus software program was when out laptop was initially purchased. And even then my mother paid for it. We had Norton anti virus installed and ready to go on our laptop, and that was all included within the price. So I think that that is the only time that anybody from my immediate family has ever paid for anti-virus software.

I spend the most time on the laptop, and I always download torrents. I don't have the money to pay for anti-virus software, especially when it is still possible to get viruses even with the anti-virus software.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Currently I don't use anti-virus software but since I used them in the past, I know from experience that if you choose the right, free anti-virus [like Panda anti-virus for example] you'll have all the protection you need. Why pay for expensive software when free alternatives can do the job [of protecting you computer] quite as well?

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just use whatever is free. I'm sure the new ones are now good enough to compete with e paid ones. Also, if I'm not mistaken I think Windows also has one built in so I don't feel the need to pay more and I merely just add on a free one on top of at instead.

18. hclpd

hclpdBanned

Threads:
    I used to use the free version of any anti-virus software as I didn't use my PC for anything else than gaming. It's petty safe as long as you are not torrenting and downloading random stuff. But I have been using a premium anti-virus for last 6 months as I don't want my PC to get locked or anything else like that. I can't imagine losing my data.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the free version of AVG, but now I'm trying the free version of Avira and Zone Alarm as well. I think an updated anti-virus is not enough to protect your pc though, you should have Spy Shelter and Key Scrambler too, and I'm speaking from experience, since keyloggers are very hard to detect and remove.

20. jabayn

jabaynNew Member

Threads:
    I only used a paid virus protection software once. It was under a scheme from my place of work. The program was called Kaspersky. I thought that it was a really good piece of software. It really kept my computer safe from harm. The only issue was that the program eventually expired after a year and that again left me exposed. At this time Microsoft security essentials had come out. I found it to be way better than the paid software. I haven't gone back or changed my ways since moving onto this.