Do you use your mobile phone for your home phone?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by [email protected]May 18, 2012.

1. kla0316@gmail.com

Threads:
    Does anyone here use their cell phone as their primary phone? I was thinking of cancelling my home phone service and only using my mobile phone. We rarely even use the home phone. We have Vonage as our home phone provider. It's way cheaper than going with the local phone company... I wanted to get others thoughts on using a mobile as a home phone. I know one disadvantage is not having access to 911 services.

2. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I have not had a land line phone since I lived in college dorms 10 years ago. I don't see the point in paying for both.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I only have a cellphone and I don't like using a home phone. The home phone is just too heavy, and it makes my ear sweat. I prefer the lighter cellphone, and I have access to 911, even if my phone is locked. I guess it's a new feature if you need help, you can someone elses phone to call. I don't think every phone has this feature, I think it's certain smartphones. The home phone died years ago, and I don't know why people are still paying for service.

4. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I haven't had a land line in what seems like forever. Even my parents took theirs down. I honestly think most people use their cell phones as home phones now a days.

5. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah. I don 't know why anyone in their
    right mind would want to have a landline with long distance plan, and a cellphone line.
    Thats just crazy. Trim the fat and dump the landline.

6. MasterProX

MasterProXMember

Threads:
    The only reason my house still has a landline is because my dad isn't exactly "young enough" to learn how to use a cell phone and such. He even has an iPad, too. But everyone in my house has a cell phone already, and we're considering cutting the landline as soon as he'll start doing something about a cell phone/his iPad.

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I know some people that use their cellphones for their home telephone number, and that isn't a bad idea at all considering you can save up from the regular phone bill. If you get a good plan, it must be worth it!

8. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I have never had a landline as long as I've lived on my own. My cell phone is my one and only number.

What 911 services can't you reach via cell?

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    We have a landline present but nobody uses it. I have not used a landline for regular calls since i was in highschool. So, I will definitely not get one in the future, when I move...but right now, yes we have one gathering dust here.

10. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    Lol I must be ancient. I have a cell phone but I never use it. I bought it a few years ago and it sits in my purse for emergency. I get all my calls on the landline. When I am out I prefer not to be harrassed by people. I use my cell only for emergency's. I hate talking on a phone. But I think if your cell phone is what you use a house phone would be redundant.

11. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    We still have a landline and am glad we do. Recently our cell service went down for 4 hours and during that time our grandmother was trying to get ahold of anybody she could because of a family emergency. Unfortunately almost everybody else only has cell phones and I was the only one she could get ahold of. It could have been disastrous if she hadn't been able to get ahold of me; so for now I will keep our landline. Plus in our area, cell service isn't always great because we are very rural; so we would be losing and dropping calls constantly.

I think that the problem isn't necessarily not having access to calling 911, as much as it is that they can't always tell where you are located like they can by tying a land line with a location.

12. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    I would never use mobile phones as my home phone ,because having mobile phone ( cellphone ) is much more expensive to handle with,just not worthy.

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I started using my cell phone back in the 90's when AT&T came out with the One Rate Plan. Most of my calls were to my mother back home, so I got rid of the landline and just paid my cell phone bill. I saved tons of money, but she hated it. I told her she could pay the bill and I'll get another landline. She declined. I've never gone back. As you know, it's even cheaper now.

14. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We cancelled our landline a few years ago when we discovered friends and family were contacting us mostly on our cellphones. I can't remember when last I made a personal call to a landline. The only disadvantage though, is that if I had to lose my cellphone I wouldn't be able to remember anybody's number as I did when we had the landline.

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    You could always back up your contact list online. That and your calendar are the easiest things to do and keep no matter what. In many ways, it's easier to do the calendar on the computer and then sync it up with your phone. There are too many things you want to add in or change to have to keep doing it through your phone.

16. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    We cancelled our land line phone about 5 years ago. We have saved a lot of money by doing this. We just use our cell phones. We have found this to be a money saving change for us. It is also convenient for us. We never miss a call since we all have our cell phones with us at all times. I would recommend doing this, especially if you don't have younger children at home.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do. I haven't used a landline in a long time, although I'll be honest and say I still give out my mom's landline number when one is requested. They never answer the phone and don't check the voicemails, but it -is- a working number....technically, haha. It keeps me from getting a whole bunch of junk calls from telemarketers on my cell phone.

18. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    We'd like to cancel our landline, but the cell coverage is just too spotty where we live. Some days I can't get a call out on my cell phone, and I sometimes receive text messages a day after they are sent to me. So for now, in case of emergencies, we are keeping the landline. We are hoping to move soon to a less rural area, and that landline will be history when we do!

19. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    My parents still use their home phone along with their cell phones because some of my family lives overseas and they need it to talk to them. However, once that part of my family moves back to the U.S. (they are in the Air Force), my parents are going to get rid of the home phone. I will never get a home phone, as there would be no need to pay for that and a cell phone when I can just use my smartphone for everything :D

20. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely use my mobile phone more than I use my house phone at this point. Right now I only use my house phone to make local calls and it is almost an annoyance. The only people who call me on that phone are telemarketers.