Do You "vote" With Your Money?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Colebra • Mar 13, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes one product might be just slightly more expensive than other, but I'll know X company deserves me as a client, and I'll go with that service.
    Other times I'll even buy something I don't really need, just because I know I'm actually having a positive effect on the world with my purchase.
    There lot's of different scenarios...
    But I believe you understand what I mean "Vote With Your Money", right?

Is this totally silly, or should we all be doing this?

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely vote with my money and my choices. I feel that when I buy items or services, it's about more than just the item. Especially with local businesses, whether I choose to shop with them matters. If enough people don't buy items because the company that makes them breaks their ethical standards and they're sure the company knows it, it can be a vehicle for change.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know exactly what you mean, although in my country we say "vote with your feet", but it all means the same thing. There is a certain British newspaper which I boycott - I do not wish to give them a single penny of my cash. I also try my best to stay away from businesses who are known for treating their employees shoddily. Similarly, if I am impressed with the way a business operates, for whatever reason, I am much more likely to use them.

@Fenneth, you are absolutely right to say that boycotts can create change if enough people get behind them. I wish more people would.

4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Patronage is theoretically a very healthy thing for buyer and seller alike. I know people can be a bit pessimistic when it comes to companies and corporations, but if you find a particular brand that treats their customers right, listens to their feedback, and has excellent customer support, why not patronize their products?

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I vote with my money and I make sure I spend on products a lot more when I know the company behind it is one I'd prefer to support. I even do this with games as recently I've been loving a new game that has very excellent developers behind it and I made sure to purchase some in game cash even if I didn't really need it.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we all vote with our money don't we? I mean even if we're unaware that we are, we still are. I guess I try to vote with my money consciously by choosing not to shop in certain stores or choosing brands as you mentioned over others. Sometimes the dollar amounts beat the right thing out sadly.

7. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    I do not buy things I do not need. I do buy things which are a little more expensive in one place because it is the right thing to do. Remember I said 'a little' more expensive though. I do believe I vote with my money. If I go to a store or even a doctor where the people are rude to me, do not listen, or are not helpful I will not spend my money there.

#7Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree.. we all vote with our money, whether we like it or not. I am absolutely mindful of where my money is going and what it's supporting and it's so much more than how that particular business treats it's customers. I want to know how the products are made and where and how those making the product are treated and if they are properly compensated. I want to know it's not shutting down small businesses which make our communities thrive. I want to know it's not supporting animal torture or demeaning it's own employees. It can be tough at times, but yes.. I refuse to give my money to those I don't agree with. I may not make a huge difference, but I certainly won't contribute to the suffering of others.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, we all vote in a way with our dollars. Where we choose to spend our money is very important to society as a whole. I think it's perfectly normal to spend money on things you think will help society as a whole or companies that you believe share your same values and principles.

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    One can't always know who or what they are really supporting when spending money, but I do try to support companies that I think are doing a good job. I also will boycott certain companies by not spending my money on their products if I don't agree with some of their known practices.

11. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    Oh, dear, for me it is a key factor in deciding what to purchase.
    Regardless of what I need or want, I will always find a provider which also goes with my principles. I only buy produce at the farmers' market to support local economy, I look for eco-friendly solutions, I go to thrift stores before hitting the big brands, and I check for controversies brands might have. Ever since the Nestle water scandal, I haven't bought one Nestle product.

12. Medieval Mama

Medieval MamaNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree with 'voting with my money." I also try to choose a local business, or at least regional, before I go to a big name corporation to spend my money. I also believe in putting "my money where my mouth is." I am a homeowner, and where I live, it seems that every ballot measure about funding anything (schools, emergency services, libraries, public transportation) comes as a property tax. I absolutely vote YES for funding, knowing that it will be partly coming out of my pocket. I even vote in favor of public transportation, even though I do not personally use it. Our dollars make an impact.

13. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't but I know I should. Right now is extremely tight around here. I have to get whatever it is I can afford. When it comes to choosing a store, I'll "vote". I always go to Salvation Army or goodwill when I can. Not only is it cheaper, but the money goes back into the community,( well, it's supposed to, anyway).

14. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think at some point we all vote with our money. Sometimes we do it very consciously, where we spend elsewhere as a protest. Sometimes I think I do it more subtly, without necessarily realising it. There will be times when I stop using a service over time simply because I'm getting less enjoyment/bag for buck. It could be down to a shift in my tastes but often it's down to the service not maintaining the same quality.

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, yes. I do indeed, but i'd never really thought of it in those terms. You are exactly right, though. That's exactly what we're doing when we spend, no matter if we're consciously avoiding certain stores or products for whatever reasons, or if we aren't. And I'd like to say the effect is the same, but it's probably not. If we all were more conscious of what we were buying and who we buy from the effect would probably be far different.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's silly. I think it is the responsibility of consumers to do so. We allow companies to get away with so much, or we utilized those that don't "deserve" it. I think it's good to exercise your right to choose which company is deserving of our hard earned money. It's also a good way to send a message of support, or a message of disappointment. If I'm really disappointed, I not only stop giving them my money/try to get my money back, but I'll tell anyone who will listen why they no longer receive money from me.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I won't give a dime to either of those places anymore, after learning more about both of them and how they operate. I used to donate old clothes of mine all the time to GoodWill, as well as other furniture and appliances when I was moving and planning on getting new stuff.

I later found out that you're basically just padding their executives pockets, while they take advantage of legal loopholes to pay disabled people well below the minimum wage, which boils my blood. These people already have difficulties gaining employment they need to support themselves, not to mention establishing some sense of pride in holding a job somewhere - that this company, who gets all it's merchandise *donated* to them, cannot afford to pay them minimum wage or better?! The CEO for example makes over $2 million dollars per year - some "charity".

The Salvation Army has a long standing history of discrimination towards LGBT folks - they've refused services to gay couples and individuals in the past, as well as not allowed gay folks to be bell ringers and help raise money. They've been trying to do a PR cleanup in recent years around this, but's it's all a facade. Internal documents which have leaked show that they continue to support anti-gay legislation, and they've really just re-worded their public facing materials to give the impression they aren't anti-gay with carefully worded statements and marketing materials. What's particularly infuriating is the very people they are supposed to be helping are in fact LGBT folks - which make up a disproportionately high percentage of homeless youth, who have been kicked out of their households or had to leave home to get away from abusive family environments. In addition, gay people in general have a much higher likelihood of alcoholism and substance abuse problems which can lead them to become homeless.

18. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Totally, I vote with my money all the time, I had a neative experience with my favourite supermarket and experienced MASSIVE discrimination in there, and they pretty much refused to do anything about it, and as a result lost me and my other half's parents as customers, it might not seem like much to them, but if everyone boycotted them for bad customer service then they would go out of business faster than they are doing.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've definitely been voting with my wallet recently. I used to buy things wherever they were cheapest.
    But lately I've noticed that a couple of stores in my area have great customer service, so I've been spending a little more in those places to support them. For example, at Burger King they know my name and treat me very kindly and know what I'm going to order before I order it. Also, the lobby is spotless and smells good. That particular BK is worth walking a mile out of my way and spending a little more on food than I would at the nearby dirty, rude McDonald's.