Do you watch games more than you play them?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by mistymi • Mar 7, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I do watch games more than I play now. I've found it's a nice way to relax. I first started watching esports games like Brood War and Starcraft 2 and I really enjoyed watching first person streams over playing. I like browsing twitch.tv but most of the time I watch a stream for a few seconds then leave and try to find something else. For whatever reason I really like watching GTA San Andreas. It's just really goofy looking but charming at the same time. I like watching some platformers too, which I previously had little interest in. I think they have a lot of intensity to them because the player can die at almost any time.

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - I mean what is the point? If it's a game then I want to play it not watch it - that one's of my issues with games like Beyond Two Souls. I mean if I want to watch something then I'll watch television or like a movie or something.

3. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Game reviews on Youtube can be fun to watch, and like everything on Youtube, can suck up tons of time before you even know it. I recently joined Steam and there are just so many games to choose from so watching reviews and trailers and whatnot can really help in getting an idea about what a game is like, what it's about, whether I want to buy it, etc. My only problem is some of the best reviewers or commentators just go on way too long with their videos. I like TotalBiscuit (a Youtube game reviewer) for example but he goes on literally for 1 hr plus about a single indie game and reviews dozens of titles a week it seems. That is an impressive body of work but I would like some more concise coverage sometimes.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was a game watcher as a kid, I loved to watch the reviews on the TV or magazines. I am not a watcher anymore, it's rare that I play games even more watch them. My younger kid does love to watch the older brother play because he can't play yet, it's a real entertainment seeing one playing and the other watching lol.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These past couple of months, I've been inclined to watching videos in YouTube. Part of the videos were about video games which were played by PewDiePie. It's a channel devoted entirely to playing video games. Do I watch games more than I play them? Well, recently, I'd say yes. I seldom have time to play games on my consoles thus I just watch game videos and reviews instead.

I don't watch entire walktroughs though. I think walkthroughs are boring. I only watch them when I'm stuck with a certain game.

#5Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I do sometimes but only games that are old and no longer available to me. I watch some new ones too if I'm curious of how other is handling the game I'm playing as well. There are a few channels and let's play I've come across that are pretty good. I find myself unable to watch for too long as I will become sleepy because I'm not playing the game myself.

7. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Though, most games are designed to be played, there is fun in watching them too. Spectating is a different experience than playing, especially for certain games like Starcraft which, is more like work rather than fun for the player. I also can't afford all the games I watch too.

#7Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I only watch games when people play it funny, like for example Rooster Teeth's Rage Quit, I love watching that, especially when the guy actually rages on about the game. But I only watch those games that have no story, I mean games that are just for the goofs. If I watched the game with the story line playing it will definitely spoil the game for me. And games are meant to be played, in order for you to experience it fully, you have get your hands on working. But I do enjoy watching Let's Play videos and Game Reviews. But I much rather experience it first hand.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Not when I'm alone at home. Sometimes I do go to a friends place and to pass the time we play games, one is playing and we mirror the image onto the tv for the other one to watch. So it's more of a social thing there, talking while playing etc. I'd never open a stream of someone doing that if I was at home, I'd much rather play with them!