Do You Water Down Milk?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Oct 29, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are lots of people who buy whole milk water it down and save. There are some who think that "diluting the milk" will also "dilute" all the other nutrients. Considering the fact that there's no right "dose" of milk [one should consume in a day or within a specific period of time] I don't see why that should be an issue.

Do any of you buy whole milk and dilute it?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would certainly do this if I were on a tighter budget, and if I consumed milk on a more regular basis. Though I would likely just purchase regular full fat milk if I were going to do something like this, since you're already lowering the fat content per portion by doing so. In addition, "low fat" milk is often by design, higher in sugars per portion, so it's not necessarily better for you.

In the past, I've done this with juices - orange and cranberry in particular, but also with grapefruit juice too. I've often found commercially available juices to be far too sweet and concentrated to begin with, so this wasn't much of a problem. Plus you're not only saving money, but cutting the calories in half (depending on how much you dilute it) without having to resort to buying "low calorie" versions of the product with artificial sweeteners and other additives.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I always do this with juice. I will give my kids half water and half juice. It saves on money but I find there is way too much sugar in straight juice and by diluting it with water and ice cubes I can stretch out the juice and cut my kids sugar in take by half. I have thought to do this to milk too but haven't. I usually buy 2% milk but occasionally I'll buy whole milk for the creaminess factor. We'll use the whole milk in coffee instead of cream. I have seen whole milk at Costco for the same price as 2%. Buying it and watering it down does stretch out a dollar. Great idea.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would never dilute milk. In fact, it is all right if the children or even adults would finish the carton of milk because diluting it will lessen the nutrients. We always buy Cowhead in the carton that is imported from Australia. It tastes good so sometimes the kids would drink more than a glass especially when we mix choco powder to give the milk some nicer flavor.

5. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I've honestly never considered doing that before. I probably should, because I hate milk the way it is. Don't like it at all. Adding some water might make it more palatable. (Not sure why I hate it, either. There are lots of things I eat that're filled with milk, and I have no problem. Might be more of a subconscious thing than anything.)

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can't say I've ever done this. I only ever use milk in tea or coffee (and perhaps baking) anyhow so have no real need to eke it out. Milk is cheap enough in this country and a 4 pint container at 85p will last me a week. If you buy just 1 pint, it can cost up to 59p so buying in bulk is an easy way to save.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, me neither. I don't drink milk, and only use it for tea and breakfast cereal, so it really goes a long way. Luckily, it's really not that expensive here too. I get semi skimmed, and to dilute it further would make it skimmed, which I absolutely hate. I wonder how much those people actually save, and if it's worth it?!

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't and I wouldn't do it but mostly because I don't like how it would taste when it's watered down. I do this with juice though since it's often too strong for me and it's also a nice way of extending the life of it. When it comes to milk though I think I'd much rather just not drink milk for a while if I feel it has become that necessary for me to save on my milk purchases, because I'm not really a regular milk drinker anyway so I wouldn't mind, and because of that I usually don't finish milk cartons that fast as well.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I too sometimes water down my juice because as I've got older, things seem to taste sweeter. Which is weird to me because I love my beverages, hot and cold very sweet. I now find myself sometimes diluting my juice because it's way too sweet for me to handle, not necessarily to save money. Alternatively, I just put in a ridiculous amount of ice cubes with the drinks to make them less sweet.

10. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Back when I drank cow's milk, I did this sometimes. Truthfully I like nonfat or skim milk the best because there's less aftertaste. Since I've been drinking nondairy, I never thought about diluting it.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't dilute the milk because the taste will be affected, and milk is bland enough to begin with. But I don't think it's wrong to dilute it, it's just that I do not want the taste to be affected.