Do You Wear What You Like Or What Other People Like... What's "in Style"

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Jul 7, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear what I like, and what I think is flattering on me. I don't really care what's "in" or whatever if I don't like the way it feels or don't think it will look good on me. I'm going to buy clothes that I feel good in, not the stuff that other people like or tell me to like.

Are you a slave to fashion? Do you spend a bunch of money on clothes that other people tell you you're supposed to like, or do you just buy what you want?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear what I like, but jeans and a t shirt are never out of style, so technically I'm not behind the times, just really casual.
    It's interesting how jeans and a t shirt have been in style since the 1950's and not a year goes by where they stop selling jeans and t shirts.

I used to care about fashion when I was in my 20's. Now I care about being comfortable and getting things done.

3. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm like Gin Wigmore's Black Sheep. The only one I can think of doing things for is my king and he doesn't care what I wear. LOL I wear (and do) things for me and how I feel. I've always been like this so I guess I'll die like this too. LOLOL

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like checking out what’s trendy, but I’ll only incorporate a trend into my wardrobe if I like it enough and I can see myself wearing it past its sell-by date. There are plenty of trends that have passed me by (crop tops! Blech) and I’m sure there will be plenty more. So yeah, I generally know what I like and I tend to stick to that, rather than letting too many outside influences tell me what I should like.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I'm not a slave to fashion because it's fleeting and you sometimes blink and it's gone. I buy whatever I feel looks good both on the rack and on me. Also, I pay special attention to quality. I like to buy pieces that I know will last over time not only in terms of quality, but also that are timeless and will last through the seasons. It may just be the case that something I like is in fashion, but I don't go through hoops to seek it out.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really pay much attention to fashion at all. Of course, we all do to some extent, because we buy what is in the shop - which is "fashion" to some degree - but I will always make my decision based on the clothing that I want to wear rather than something that other people are telling me wear. I honestly believe that to be the best decision, at all times. You should do what makes you happy, not what you think might just make other people happy.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear what I want to wear. I actually can't believe that other people do not, even though intellectually I know that it happens. still, it is hard for me to wrap my head around. However I am feeling at the time, and whatever clothing combination I am feeling the most at any one time - they're all leading factors in what I will wear. I may see other people wearing stuff, and decide that I like the style. I may or may not purchase clothes based off of that, but I'm not going to run out and purchase clothes because everybody thinks it's stylish.

8. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty much wear what I want and what I feel most comfortable it. I am never been much into fashion. When I go out to buy clothes I try things on and whatever I think looks good and feels good then that is what I purchase. I always check out all the latest fashion sand trends and if I like it then I may buy it but I won't simply go out and buy something because it is the style or it is what everybody else is wearing at the time. I work hard for my money so I like to buy things that I know I can get a lot of use out of. I would hate to buy something and then a few months later you can no longer wear it because it is no longer the in thing.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really still doesn't make sense to me. Forgetting the fact that I'm not really a "clothes" person, I don't understand why you'd wear something you don't like. To me that'd be like buying a car just because it's in. You're the one that's going to be using those clothes on a regular basis so why would you buy something you're not comfortable in? What is the purpose of buying clothes you don't like because you're popular? But then again stranger things have happened. People even listen to certain music just because it's "in" and then stop listening to it when the hype fades away.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always had my own style, which some might view as somewhat "eclectic". I like to dress in what feels good to me. There are periods in my life when I only like to wear black or purple, and I freely give in to it. At other stages, I prefer clothes with lots of patterns and loud colors. I don't really care much for mainstream fashion.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never was that much into fashion even I was younger and more impressionable. As years fly by and once gets to realize that we don't need to blend in with the horde, things like dressing fashionably unless you are a celebrity need not make a dent in your wallet. That said, I don't buy or wear anything that is in fashion. I got my dress style and I stick with it.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess this is why my "fashion" icons are usually people who go off on a tangent and do their own thing, people who don't always conform to what the "fashion experts" deem as being trendy. Yet it's these people who appear to me as having class, poise and are always so well put together! I admire people who stick to their individual sense of style and execute it with conviction, because to carry it off, you have to believe it looks good!

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Snap, since i'm not really a clothes person either. I do, however, like to look good. But the actual act of shopping for clothes is tedious as hell. It's strange isn't it - that people would wear clothes that they do not like just to fit in with what is stylish? I guess that though people may feel uncomfortable in certain clothing, their comfort levels as it pertains to fitting in is more important to them than what they are actually wearing. Don't even get me started of people who only like music once it becomes mainstream.

14. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I wear what i like whether other people like it or not. Most of the time people say they like my style, even though they wouldn't want to wear my clothes. I don't really care because I'm just different and there is no point in trying to be like other people because it's just not going to work.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I mean I'm actually really picky on what I like but I really dread shopping for clothes and shoes even more than shopping in general which is saying a lot since I try to be a fast shopper. Clothes shopping is even worse for me because a lot of stuff in the women's section is deplorable.

#15Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  16. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    For work I tend to wear what is in...sort of. I have a favorite store called New York and Company and they have work apparel that fits my body well. I tend to buy things that are kind of classic that will not go out of style very quickly, kind of times less looks. At home I usually just wear jeans and a tee shirt or something that is just comfortable. I am not a bug trendy person or anything like that because I do not have the money to keep up with the ever changing styles.

17. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I wear what I like but at the same time I also try to follow the big fashion stars for inspiration, as my fashion sense is not exactly the best. Looking up celebrities and trying to copy their style can help you discover your own style and way of dressing, and it's often better looking than simply trying to match random clothes.
    Also, as long as it fits it tends to look better, no matter what, so good looking clothes that also fit are greaaat.

18. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve become a bit like that, despite loving clothes. I think it’s partly because I’ve become so picky about what I wear, since I can see plenty of things that would look good on someone who isn’t me. Haha. But actually trying to find something for myself can be quite a chore.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I simply buy just what I want, there is no pressure in having to wear what is "in" for me. During the popularity of skinny jeans, I never rushed to the store to buy one just to be "in". If my mom was alive, she would probably force what she would want me to wear, lol.

20. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    Of course, this should be a no brainer. I wear what I like and what I want. I have my own sense of style and do not like others to dictate my life. I am a grown woman and do not need friends so bad that I will do what they want me to do and go along with the crowd.