Does anyone celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JoanMcWench • Feb 26, 2014.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I mean celebrate it without going out to get drunk. I mean a traditional corned beef and cabbage meal with family. Drinking is not out of the question but it seems like everyone feels the need to get drunk. I was wondering if anyone celebrated in a different way?

2. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    It's interesting that you ask, because I've always known St. Patrick's Day (along with Cinco De Mayo) to be a day for drinking (lol). All of these years my friends and I will get together and use these holidays as an excuse to drink without even thinking or acknowledging the true meaning of celebration. I only understand St. Patrick's Day to be a day for the Irish and Cinco De Mayo to be a day for Mexicans. I guess it's worth the research now that you mention it!

3. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I don't celebrate St. Patricks Day. I remember being in school and having to wear green otherwise you would get pinched but other than that I didn't know there was a traditional meal to eat or anything like that. I guess we were just never taught much about it.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    What meals can you make with corned beef and cabbage? I've heard this is a St Patrick's day thing but I've never seen anything like it myself. Generally I have started celebrating St Patrick's day recently. Usually just at the pub so nothing really special. I least I learned never to order a Guinness again :p

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Well the meal usually consists of a pile of corned beef and some steamed cabbage on the side with potatoes. Sometimes you can make a sandwich with it. Rye bread on the side. We did this when I was growing up but I am Irish. Wondering if others still do or have.

6. postergirl

postergirlMember

Threads:
    Ya! I don't understand the whole "Let's get smashed" idea about St. Patrick's Day! The Irish have such a stigma, don't they? I am Irish and i don't even drink! Maybe I will just wear green aain.