Does anyone grow food in the city?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by redheadinlove • Aug 24, 2012.

1. redheadinlove

redheadinloveNew Member

Threads:
    I'd love to plant a mini garden and grow some small fruits or veggies but I'm not sure what I can. I've thought about herbs, but what I really want is fresh veggies.
    Does anyone have advice for what would grow in a small area?

2. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    How much space do you have?

Strawberries grow well in containers. Tomotoes grow well on balconies. It's surprising that the Topsyturvy planter product works. I grow hot peppers in that.

For vine products you need a small yard. Same with carrots.

You can grow lettuce in a container. And herbs on your kitchen counter. Hope this helps!

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    You could use some pots which tomatoes could grow. I sue to have two tomato plant in a pot. I move it outside to have some sunlight but indirectly and then back inside in the after noon. I usually put them just in the bathroom :D tomatoes are easy to plant and just need water. If you could put organic fertilizer its fine.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have a small herb garden growing on my kitchen window sill. It gets plenty of light and I fertilize occasionally to keep them growing. I have two large containers outside on the back deck that I have planted salad veggies in. The one has a cherry tomato plant with two cucumber plants and several radishes and carrots in it. The other has three varieties of lettuce, two bell pepper plants and another cherry tomato plant.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who owns a house with a back yard and he grows herbs and such. He has rosemary, thyme, and some others that I forget now. He doesn't have any vegetables, though.

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    You can grow all kinds of herbs in containers. I have cilantro, thyme, basil,mint, etc. Tomatoes are easy to grow. I have had bucket fulls of tomatoes from two plants in containers. Radishes grow easily, you may want to use a bigger container for them. Bell peppers are pretty easy to grow too, but you need to keep pests away. It is lovely to use fresh herbs in your cooking and I would go for herbs as they are the easiest to grow.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have two kinds of basil, a blueberry bush, and a very young meyer lemon outdoors. Inside I have parsley, several seedlings and cuttings, including lavender, and I've just started regrowing scallions from bottoms and I have an onion bottom I'm about to plant as well. I just planted some garlic, but I'm trying not to go overboard so that I don't end up with more plants than I can manage.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We live in the city and we have lots of plants here in our front and backyard. I don't grow them but my father does. He uses both the soil from the ground plus pots for the other plants, so I think that even if you live in a small area, growing plants is still possible, but just limit yourself to growing small plants, so that your place won't look too crowded with all those big trees hovering around your house when they become fully grown. The only plant that I recognize in here is the tamarind plant, and the others, I don't know their names.

9. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    When I live in my apartment I grew food on my balcony. I had strawberries, tomato's and lots of herbs. It's helpful to use balcony pots like the ones I have pictured. They aren't deep but are helpful for herbs.