Does anyone have a fear of public speaking?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by thelovelyone0 • Sep 5, 2013.

1. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    I have always had an issue with public speaking and I absolutely hate it. I wish that I didn't have this fear because I wold love to have become an attorney or motivational speaker. Instead, I am in college to become an elementary teacher. I know what you guys are thinking. I know that it is standing in front of a classroom and talking but for some reason I don't get nervous when I am helping a child learn. I absolutely love it! I was a preschool teacher for years and had to speak at their graduation and it wasn't a problem. My issue is with college; I hate giving a presentation in front of my peers. I hate the way they look at me and I hate the fact that the room is quite and only my voice is hard. All I'm thinking is that they are judging me. I don't know why but hopefully I will get over it since I am still in college. Do any of you have this issue?

2. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I also don't like giving speech in front of many people. I think speaking in front of children is easier that in adult. The expectations are higher, their minds are different than the kids. When I was in collage if I can make ways not to stand in front of the class, I'll do it. I never overcome that attitude. Good thing my work does not require that kind of thing.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, i feel completely different, children are more sporadic people, so it's harder to know what to say because they are honest on if they like it or not. I was never good with public speaking, but when push comes to shove, i guess the only hard part is starting, then it's really easy.

4. Sobriety

SobrietyNew Member

Threads:
    I've always had a fear of public speaking, despite being put into many public speaking positions (speech as valedictorian of graduating class, speeches for a speech class, etc). Even after taking a public speaking class, I still have a great fear of speaking out in public. However, my public speaking professor taught us this: "I am a great public speaker and I love public speaking." It is something I try to repeat myself moments before I have to make some sort of major speech! Unfortunately, while I can do okay with public speaking, socializing is another matter altogether...

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We were forced to give speeches in school and it terrified me every time lol. I can't be the focus in a room.. scary stuff for me. Well.. unless I've been drinking lol.

6. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    I was invited to be a guest speaker last July in celebration of the Nutrition month here in my country. I refused at first not because I wasn't sure if I'll be an effective speaker. But mostly, I was afraid of having to speak in front of so many people. When the day came, I took a deep breath and did my best. As expected, I had my "uh-oh" moments when I've stumbled over some words. But in the end of my speech, I did receive a warm applause.

7. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Nope speaking is never something difficult when we really are aware of what you want to speak. :) So when you are well prepared then there might be any problem

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I do. I did a stand-up comedy show once and had to get myself so drunk in order to make it through the ten minute set. I was invited to a conference last year to talk about how I make money online blogging and I had to decline because it meant talking to an audience. In fact I recently released my first video to help promote my blog and I was incredibly nervous.

9. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Oh wow, I hear a lot of people have to get themselves drunk before giving a speech. Isn't it amazing how we are so brave when we're not sober...LoL. I was thinking of getting drunk as well for a presentation I had a few years back. I didn't get drunk but I received an F for it because I was too afraid to give the presentation.

Omg, I hate when I am forced to give a presentation in school. I was thankful that I only had one presentation to give at my high school but in college, it was as if every class wanted me to speak in public so I resorted to online class. I can't keep receiving F's for my presentation grade because that would hurt my gpa and cause me to not be able to go to grad school.

#9Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luckily for me, I never had that kind of issue, ever since I was a kid. I didn't mind speaking in front of the class or a large group of people, and not once did I feel nervous doing it.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely not comfortable with public speaking. It makes me uncomfortable to have all the attention focused on me. The tip about imagining the audience naked has never worked for me.

12. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I have never given a public speech. I am kind of the shy type so I don't think I would do well. I would probably have a bunch of butterflies in my stomach before beginning. I can imagine stuttering and freezing up lol. I have seen other people do the same. I also could tell they were nervous from the beginning, I hope none of my courses require this.

13. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    That was also also the problem with me though as I joined high school it ceased with time. This was due to the fact that has school head i head to give speech each day. No way i could escape it though i hated it but all in all it helped me greatly considering that I am now working as a CEO meaning i have to attend as many meetings as possible giving as many speeches as i can.

14. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have the fear of public speaking because English isn't my native language. I think it takes a lot of courage to speak what you have to speak because that is what your audience want to hear about your opinion on things. I practice speaking to people a lot, which I don't have the fear because I am able to say what I need to say, regardless of what people think about me.

15. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    I have always had a fear of public speaking. The fact that my voice shakes really badly doesn't help either. I just try to relax and tell myself it is not the end of the world. But I do agree that it is easier to talk in front of children than adults.

16. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have a huge fear of public speaking as well - you're not alone. I find it very intimidating when talking to a group of adults and teenagers because they can understand fully what you're saying and if you mess up or miss a word they can instantly pick up on it. When talking to a group of children, it's less likely that they would pick up on your mistakes. With this being said, I also find it more comfortable talking to groups of children.

17. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    I've never been really comfortable with public speaking even way back in college. I remember when we had this event and I was expected to speak in front of so many people. I was able to utter the words but I wasn't even aware that I was talking so fast. My classmate who was also there beside me had to nudge me to slow down.