Does Anyone Have A Good Home Remedy For Migraines?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Diane Lane • Oct 26, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any Migraine meds on hand, and have been fighting one for a couple of days. It's not the 'in the bed' kind where I'm having an Aura or have lost my peripheral vision, it's the lower level type that just won't go away with regular headache medicine. I'm not going out until tomorrow, so can't just pick some up. The weather is a factor, in case that makes a difference. Thanks!

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think all you can really do if the painkillers aren't working is try and prevent it getting any worse. If you're working on the computer then try adjusting the display so it's not so bright. Stick to warm drinks rather than cold so as not to trigger any neuralgic pains. Make sure your head doesn't get particularly cold too as this can stimulate the nerve endings in this area, making the pain seem more intense.

If you are able to do so, can you take 30 minutes to lie down, uninterrupted, in a dark room? If you can, lie back and take note of your breathing. Imagine you are blowing out nasty black smoke and pain with every exhalation and imagine that every time you inhale, you're breathing in healing white energy. Yes, I know it sounds a bit hippy-dippy but it does sometimes work.

Also, I don't know if you know this but you can take paracetamol (I think you might call it acetaminophen?) and ibuprofen together. If you take the recommended dose of paracetamol then two hours later, you can take the recommended dose of ibuprofen. I know you can only do this for a couple of days maximum and that it has the potential to lead to a rebound headache but the option is there as a last resort.

Hope you manage to shake it off soon - migraines are the pits : (

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have two remedies for migraines, depending on the circumstances of my day. The best remedy for me is to take either ibuprofen or acetominophen and drink lots of water (dehydration can cause migraines), and then try to take a nap in a dark room, or at least lay down and close your eyes.

As adults, however, we tend to be too busy to be ill, and may not have time in our day to lay down. When this happens, I use the medications listed above with a dose of caffeine, such as a regular soda pop or cup of coffee. The caffeine seems to help speed up the recovery, and perhaps give me the holy of energy I need to get through the day.

Hope you feel well soon!

4. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Thanks @missbishi@missbishi I am still fighting it, and will definitely take these tips into consideration. I wasn't aware about mixing the meds, although I sometimes do that with Extra Strength Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and Naproxen Sodium (I just got up and took some, after reading your post), and hopefully that will knock it out. I'm getting off the computer in a few minutes thankfully, and will rest up with some ice packs and put on my thumb splints/wrist braces, which help with the inflammation. I had to laugh about the hippy dippy comment, because I have taught stress management and I can't tell you how many times I have seen eyes rolling when I talk about deep breathing ;). Another thing that has helped somewhat is

, since I'm chronically dehydrated. Thanks so much for your input, it's good to know I'm on the right track, and now have a couple of more tools to put in my arsenal.

Thanks @prose@prose, I just saw your post as I was closing the page. I got home a bit ago and was finally able to have a little coffee, so hopefully that will help, also! We're on the same page re: dehydration, I posted a homemade Pedialyte recipe link. I'm going to also try a few stretches, those should help somewhat as well.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I have migraines and it does happen to me often during phases, I try to avoid using meds because I prefer to try natural ways first before resorting to them. The things I've found that are helpful to me are drinking lots of water, or even preferably Gatorade or similar drinks if you have access to it, or taking a cold shower. I think the Gatorade works because it stimulates and rehydrates you and your mind, because sometimes headaches are due to dehydration. This is just my speculation of course, I am not a doctor.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes, I too prefer to try natural methods first. I tend to use a mixture of both more natural remedies and the OTC meds. I have one medicine that helps the most, but can't afford that right now, so I'm revisiting my past efforts and asking around about new ones. I am always watchful for dehydration, and use the recipe I posted above to make my own homemade Pedialyte, because although it does have a little sugar in it, it's still much more natural than Gatorade type products, as well as much cheaper. For me, extreme temperature changes can help, and I'll take a hot shower then use ice packs, and that seems to knock out the Migraine for a bit.

By the way, I just used up my last packet of these when I was at an appointment, but they're convenient to have on hand for when symptoms arise quickly. I used to keep them with me when I drove a lot for work, because it was much easier to tear it open and dump it into my mouth than search around the car or in my purse for pills. The packs are small and can even fit in a small pocket, a drink holder, etc.

#6Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have migraine but I prefer not to take medication. My sister who is a nurse advised me against medication because my migraine may just get worse. Fortunately, I chanced upon a hot compress bag in a trade fair. It's actually a folded cloth with beads inside that when microwaved, emits a scent like baking nuts. That hot compress on my head relieves the pressure of the tensed veins. I still have that hot compress bag.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could also try:

- Taking vitamin B2 supplements. After about 3 months you'll have noted a significant decrease in migraine headaches.
    - Eat more food rich in mega 3 fats. How it works to prevent migraines I don't know but it is believed that it does help.
    - Use cayenne . . .

. The secret behind its success lies in an ingredient called capsaicin, which inhibits something in our body that is one of the main elements in pain perception called Substance P. In short, Substance P is part of what makes us feel pain, and the capsaicin depletes it.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Home remedies for migraine are hard ones, specially because for me, migraines are usually emotional and I have them when I'm really stressed out.
    What works for me is trying to relax a bit. Turning off the lights and laying down with a light, low music playing. I usually fall asleep like that and when I wake up, I already feel better.
    Other than that I don't find a lot of things effective for migraines.

10. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Ha, I love the comment about the nut smell @Corzhens@Corzhens! I wonder what your bag is filled with? Here, they're usually filled with flax seeds, buckwheat, or rice. A lot of people make their own here, mainly by filling a tube type sock with uncooked rice.

Thanks @Denis Hard@Denis Hard I'm going to click that link and see what it has to offer. I definitely try to manage my health as much as possible with diet and nutrition/supplements. I seem to be lacking in the B vitamins overall, and anything I can do to increase them seems to help me.

@isabbbela@isabbbela Knowing what triggers your headaches is a big part in managing them, and it sounds as if you've got that part under control. It might be helpful for you to try using some stress management techniques on a regular basis, and that could help decrease your headaches. I know that, but am having trouble myself right now with regard to practicing them on a regular basis, which is one reason I'm having this flare right now.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane, I already asked the vendor about the contents of that hot compress bag. She doesn't know either. But I guess the grains are imported because when I opened a bit to see what's inside, it's not the common grain like rice or corn. My husband said that those seeds may have been used in that bag because of the scent that it exudes when heated in the microwave. The whole kitchen would smell of roasted nuts.

12. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I like the idea of that @Corzhens@Corzhens. I've had several of the buckwheat pads/pillows, and don't recall any particular scent. I'll have to do some research. I had actually considered making something like that to sell in my shop, but haven't gotten around to it. They sell pretty cheaply on eBay, and whenever that happens, people tend to buy the cheaper products, even if they're made in a sweat shop, rather than paying more for something handcrafted. Thankfully, the Migraine is gone for now, but there'll always be another one.