Does Anyone Have At&t Service?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by JoanMcWench • Feb 24, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm starting to feel like I'm being taken for a ride. I'm currently with AT&T & I do not have any bundle deal or U-verse. I'm paying almost $70 a month for limited texts AND data. I get nothing for what I'm paying & I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue with them?

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's just how 'the free market' works: people will pay whatever they can for the service, and so that's how much AT&T charges (or vice-versa). I wonder if there's a site that'll show you the prices for all the services available in your area (sort of like PROGRESSIVE does for insurance-plans). See if

works,

3. J. Arizin

J. ArizinNew Member

Threads:
    I'm assuming $70 is for one phone right? If you have limited text, that would mean you are on an old familytalk or nationtalk plan with rollover minutes. It would be best if you contact their customer service. They are now looking to move people to their Mobile Share Value Plan with unlimited calls and text. I believe the cheapest is at $20 for 300mb and then for each phone added to that shared plan. I believe non smartphone is at $20 so that makes $40 all in all. A smartphone with a contract is at $40 and a non contract smartphone is at $25. I changed my mom's plan a while back and she's at $50 with unlimited call and text on a basic phone.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    That's too much. I left at&t when I got my iPhone because they don't have unlimited data which I wanted. They are also crummy in my area.

There are quite a few companies that have much better plans than that. I have Sprint unlimited everything for $50 plus the phone and insurance cost, so about $90 total, but I don't have to worry about overage charges. If you already have a phone you own you don't have to have phone payments.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That does sound like too much. I had Sprint in the past, and was paying around $70/month plus insurance and taxes, and had unlimited everything. Unfortunately, Sprint didn't work well here, so I ended up cancelling the service, but it worked very well where I had lived previously, and I have friends who are also very happy with them. I've also had T-Mobile, and was happy with them when I had them. I believe their prices are also lower. If I were to get another smart phone right now, I'd probably go with something like StraightTalk from Walmart, and they also have another, even lower priced service there now.

6. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I was actually wondering the same thing as you! These crooks really take our money and deliver pretty much nothing in exchange. I would really love to see some information beforehand. I just don't want to spend any more money on products I don't like, or that seem to be too good to be true, haha.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @JoanMcWench@JoanMcWench Have you considered adding UVerse or some other type of additional services to get a bundle discount? I'm not a fan of AT&T personally, since I feel screwed with my home service, but it's still the best game in town where I live, unfortunately. I keep getting emails and letters in the mail about adding cell service, but I don't really even look to see what the deals are like, since I'm already fed up with them.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    AT&T is right alongside Verizon in having more expensive mobile phone plans. However, AT&T and Verizon have the most reliable and fastest networks by most metrics, regardless of what T-Mobile says. Sprint isn't even in the equation here, though. Limited data amounts are the norm right now, and unlimited plans often come with caveats anyways. I'd rather pay the premium associated with AT&T than trust T-Mobile or Sprint at this point.

9. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I agree completely with what @troutski@troutski says. AT&T and Verizon is hand in hand when it comes to price and coverage. They're the most expanded when it comes to service mostly everywhere in the US. Verizon is even in Alaska where there's hardly NO coverage. My parents and I used to have a family plan where it was almost $150 for unlimited texting and calling, but no data at all. My mom and I are both on Straight Talk and we pay $45 for unlimited talk, text, and data. Straight Talk works off of Verizon though so there's that.

10. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I do have AT&T as my cellular service provider but I'm not really sure why. It's more expensive that some of the other carriers around here and I do not enjoy going into the store for service but I have had AT&T since I got a cell phone. Loyalty doesn't really pay but here I am with AT&T 15 years later. I am considering switching but I like my current phone (that is paid for) and the service is consistently good. Seems silly to pay more for equal or similar just because I always have. Thanks for the wake up call.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I have AT&T cell phone service, with no bundles like you. We have tried to switch cell phone providers who have better deals, mainly because the cost of the service is higher than other plans, and we do not have unlimited data. Unfortunately, AT&T is the least expensive provider in the area that we live in, which is pretty rural. Our only other option that has coverage in our area is Verizon, but when we looked into their pricing for a comparable plan to what we have now it cost even more.

If Sprint has coverage in your area, I would recommend checking them out. My mother-in-law has used them for years and she raves about them in terms of price, data, and customer service. We would have made the switch to Sprint if they had better service in our area.

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    There are reports that AT&T is joining a few other companies in a 'rewards-program' where

, but the article is from months-ago---they could've dropped out of it since then.

I can't see any 'loyalty-rewards' column at MyRatePlan's

(but I don't care to investigate much ... maybe you can find something there).

I guess the main 'reward' of sticking with your old provider is there's 'no switching-costs' (although many of the providers offer to 'pay switching-costs' and/or 'buy out your contract with your old provider').