Does anyone listen to audiobooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by pandandesign • Dec 22, 2013.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to listen to music until I have found out about the audiobook software. I like the idea of listening Audiobooks while I drive because I am able to listen to the story. I sometimes don't have the time to read the book because I work and school, which I work full-time. I use the audiobook software called Audible, which is a great considering it offers less expensive audiobooks once you've signed up as a member. Does any listen to audiobooks? If so, what do you think about audiobooks?

2. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I love listening to audiobooks because, as you said, I can do it while I'm busy with something else. I have always loved to read, but now with 2 small children, I rarely have the time. I can put in an audiobook while driving, cooking, or folding laundry and have something to do with my mind!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An audio-book is only as good as the reader. I listened to an audio-book once and the guy used this disgusting monotone. Okay I understand, he's no story-teller but how can you communicate emotions if you read a book like some news story? Since that day, I've avoided audio books.

4. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I do listen to audio books every once in a while. LoL. I'm not audiobook's biggest fan to be honest. It tends to make me fall asleep for some reason. I've listen to some self help audiobooks before, my friend gave it to me and she's like 'you gotta listen to this, this will truly change your life, make you a better person' and I'm like 'oh yeah? Am i really that bad?' and i gave it a listen and i think I dozed off after few minutes. It was a girl talking and her voice was soft and soothing and maybe i was also tired at that time that's why i passed out listening to it. :p

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    You know, I tried to get into audiobooks, I really *wanted* to like them. I like the idea of them, but I've found a lot of the readers just aren't very good or engaging, and even when they are, I don't get nearly as much out of listening to it as I do out of reading and forming pictures in my head at the same time. I'll stick to plain old paper books, thank you ;).

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I 99% of the time would rather read the book than listen to the audio-book version, but they are handy in long-car trips or if you have an extended commute every day and need something to pass the time. Love listening to music, but sometimes you just need to have something else on.

The main issue I have with audio books and why I often avoid them is because I like to be focused on reading the story and not spacing out and thinking about something else, like I am when driving. So i'll miss things and then it gets annoying to have to rewind the track and everything.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Last audio book I ever listened to in its entirety, was the Silmarillion, which people can find on youtube. It was much better than most audio books, because the narrator had a deep resonating voice that fit well with the fantasy story, and he did a good job in projecting his tones and inflections.

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like listening to audiobooks when I have long drives. It helps the time pass. If I'm home I prefer to just read the book. I have used audible too-- I like the service. It's nice being able to access your books from anywhere.

9. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I usually listen to an audiobook to what I am reading. I am ADD, so listening helps me focus on the book more.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. But only the good ones. Some of the audiobooks are a bit boring because of the narrator and poor voice acting so even if the book was really awesome it gets butchered by the performance. But I don't listen to audiobooks in one sitting because that would melt my brain and I might possibly dose off before I can finish two chapters.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like listening to audiobooks as well because you could listen to it while doing something else, whereas if you read then you're pretty much stuck doing just that. Although, admittedly, reading is a bit more fun in some cases, but if it's just a book I want to finish quickly and easily and not really just for the experience of reading it, then I'd go for an audiobook over an actual book. I usually go for audiobooks when it comes to educational material, but for stories, I usually go for reading instead.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not yet listening to any audiobook, neither I have tried. But I am now planning to do so during my few hours of running. I run for about 2 hours a day without stop, and because it's continuous, there are moments that I get bored, but I couldn't do anything. One time, I tried watching a movie in my iPod while running. It worked pretty well. But if I keep on doing that I would have to always have a new movie. I would have to download one every day. I can't simply do that, it requires time. Movie files should have to be big for a quality resolution. Audiobooks therefore are great alternatives.