Does anyone shop for food at a Dollar Tree?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Dec 1, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    The

in my area sells food.

Usually, I pass on many of the food because I am either leery about its freshness or its just junk. However, I have to admit that this place does offer certain edibles that are much cheaper than in a grocery store. What are they? Seasonings. Popcorn. Drinks.

2. dejongkimberlee

dejongkimberleeNew Member

Threads:
    I normally get some candy and other junk food whenever I am there, but It is never an actual grocery trip. I just get a few good things that I see while I am there

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do, generally canned goods, pantry items and condiments. If I can get things there for $1 that I would normally pay $3-$5 for in a larger grocery store that's a no brainer. Their frozen items are a mixed bag, some of them are such small portions, you're not really getting as great of a deal on them. But there are still some good deals there too.

I was just checking out their web site actually, because I noticed that they sell a certain brand of tomato sauce (El Pato) on it that I like, in a large 28oz can for only $1. Problem is the Dollar Tree stores in my area don't carry the sauce, and although I could order it online from them, the shipping costs more than the cans of sauce, lol. I'm perplexed why they even offer online sales if the shipping is going to completely negate the savings.

4. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy chips at the Dollar store because it is less expensive than buying it from other stores. Now, I don't buy food from the Dollar store anymore because I try to avoid going there.

5. ohiotom76

Threads:
    Not to get off topic, but love your avatar! I was just out in Pittsburgh about a month and a half ago to see that giant rubber duck, it was hilarious. (I'm assuming that's where your avatar was shot, unless perhaps the artist had installations elsewhere).

6. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I only shop there for my family's annual Christmas party. It's a great place to find cheap stocking-stuffers and game prizes. And during those shopping moments, I do sometimes buy food there, like canned goods and candy. In general, the food is crappy. But every once in a while, i do find good deals or things I'd normally buy in a grocery store for much more.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Dollar Tree is not one of the big ones that has refrigerators with frozen food. I have one of the smaller Dollar Trees that just sells candy and snacks.
    I envy the people that have access to those big Dollar Tree stores because I've seen Youtube videos of people's Dollar Tree hauls that include frozen french fries and frozen burritos that would cost more than $1 elsewhere.

8. ohiotom76

Threads:
    Even if you don't care for the food there, if you are entertaining, you can save a ton by buying all the serving platters there and other containers and utensils. They've got a lot of nice molded plastic trays that look like "crystal" and can dress up a table setting on the cheap. They've also got a lot of cool glassware, so you could pick up some interesting cocktail glasses or wine glasses on the cheap.

Another thing I like there are some of their imported sodas, they have a mandarin and pineapple soda that are made with real sugar, which are fun to use as mixers in drinks.

9. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    My local Dollar Tree doesn't sell cold foods like some do but of course they have snacks. I stop by from time to time and get chips, cookies, cakes, etc. I wish my store was bigger and had some of the things others have, I probably would go to it more then.

10. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I really like the apricot preserves at my local Dollar Tree. I'd pay three times as much for it because it tastes so good. I also just recently tried their peanut butter. I would definitely buy it again. It wasn't stale or rancid, it tasted very fresh.