Does anyone use a receipt scan app that gives you cash back?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Feneth • Jan 6, 2015.

1. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using ibotta and while it doesn't give MUCH, it does give some. At first, I actively tried to buy products on their lists but then I realized I was spending more buying those specific products instead of something cheaper than the app was giving back. Now, I only use it if it's something I would have bought anyway. Does anyone have a receipt scan app that they like?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have recently started using ibotta and also Checkout 51. They are both similar. I won't buy something just because a rebate is offered though, so I'll accrue money slowly. I really have no complaints about either one. I also do a lot of grocery shopping at Walmart so I use their savings catcher on the Walmart app. It is a very good system, it does the price matching for you and returns the difference in a Walmart gift card. So far I've scanned a total of 6 receipts over the last few months and they've found $5 in savings at other stores. It's effortless too, as long as I remember to use it. All you do is scan the QR code on the bottom of your receipt, then Walmart does the rest of the work.

3. MsJLO

MsJLONew Member

Threads:
    I only have experience with the Walmart Savings Catcher. Since Walmart already usually has the lowest prices, I don't get many refunds. I think in 6 months I have accumulated like .20. So, either way I guess I am actually getting the best deal.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ibotta supposedly gives incredibly fast payouts, usually within 24 hours, though, so that's nice. I'd have to say that it's pretty easy to trick the app into thinking you have something on a receipt that you don't, or at least that's what I've heard. It's not going to get you rich, though, and it's probably easier to simply just buy the actual products and use the real receipts. The threshold for payout is $10, and that's not too bad. The key to success involves not buying items you don't need.

5. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:

I haven't tried the walmart app before. Thanks! I'll give it a try. Even if I don't get much, I was shopping anyway so I don't lose anything but a few minutes of time to use it.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I look at it too, and yet I am pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of the app. I suppose if you look at it from another angle, if more people use the app, the speed of checking out would increase and the checkout line length would decrease too. I am all about finding the best deal but will admit to occasionally getting frustrated when I am at the store at prime time and someone pulls out three or four competing store ads to price match at the checkout counter. This app removes the need for all that, allowing employees to focus on transactions instead.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I use checkout 51, just started Ibotta now that they have added Safeway offers. Also use Snap, Receipt Hog, Receipt Pal, Shopmium and may Use Jingit if they ever have anything good. I try to use as many as possible because no one app has very many good offers in any given week.

8. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I used all the same ones, Dancing Lady, as well as SavingsCatcher, although I have yet to redeem any rebates on Shopmium. Jingit is pretty good, but you have to keep checking on it daily for new or renewed offers. What's great about Jingit is that most of the rebates aren't on a specific brand of item.

The key to really saving with any of the rebate apps is to treat the rebate like a coupon. If the rebate (combined with coupons) makes an item cheaper than another brand or even free, then I buy it. The best is when you can get a rebate for the same item on multiple apps.

9. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Whoa..I have used none of these apps and I feel so ancient reading how many apps you are all using to make money and saving money! This is great! I need to spend sometimes looking through these apps.

10. Brentnauer

BrentnauerNew Member

Threads:
    What is this Walmart app? How does it work?

My wife uses Ibotta - I always thought it was just spammy bloatware or something. I guess I'll have to try it out!

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd use it if it was available in my country. Sadly, people don't seem to bother in Europe..

12. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd be happy to use it if it expanded to more stores, and possibly even restaurants. Right now I'm not too keen on using it since I seldom go to Walmart.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Walmart Savings Catcher, and I like it, although the scope of what they cover has decreased, and they're no longer covering purchases at (comparing prices to) drug stores. I really miss the double the $$ deal they had when you'd transfer your funds to bluebird, but I still use the bluebird. It's definitely worth using Savings Catcher, and it seems bluebird might be easier than the other way of cashing in at the physical Walmart stores, so I'll continue to use that, unless they start charging a fee.

I recently started using Receipt Hog. It took me a bit to figure out the pic-taking feature, so I missed out on some points, but I'll keep using it, and see how it goes. I haven't heard of Dancing lady, will have to check that one out. <--haha I need more coffee. I thought you were saying Dancing Lady was the name of an app, not someone you were replying to!

#13Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  14. moss

mossNew Member

Threads:
    I've tried many different apps to try to make easy money in the past, and I must say that this is a very good idea! I plan to use Checkout 51 and Ibotta, like the users above mentioned that they do. I'm excited to try this out and intend to try to incorporate it into one of my daily habits. I particularly like this idea because essentially, you don't have to do anything different than you normally would in your everyday life: you're not watching videos or filling out surveys, but merely buying things you needed anyway and getting rewarded for it.