Does Anyone Use Freedompop Cell Phone Service?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Diane Lane • Aug 18, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of FreedomPop Cell Phone Service, but recently came across it. It sounds like a good deal, but of course many things sound good, until they're more closely examined. Has anyone heard anything about it good or bad, and does anyone here use it or know of anyone who does? I'd rather hear actual stories than reading anonymous reviews.

The terms are around $20 - $30 a month for pretty much everything, the price difference being based on data usage plans.

#1Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I havent used freedom pop. I have been using tracphone because a 90 day card is only 20 dollars. I don't use my cell as much as many people do so it works out for me. I think it is a useful program. I would use a phone moe if I had a smartphone. I once had one, and can't seem to find it, silly me!!! Freedom Pop sounds OK though I will take a look at it.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    From what I saw, you can bring your own phone, as long as it works on their system, or buy a phone through them. They do have smart phones, and I think maybe they're refurbished, because the prices seem pretty low. If you check their site, you can put in your address or zip code and the map will tell you if they're available in your area. The tracphone you have sounds possibly doable for me, at least once I get caught up on some bills, so I'll keep them both in mind. I don't need a phone for much either, mainly for emergencies on the road, since they don't work well here at the house, but I'd still feel better if I had one.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I recall correctly, FreedomPop mostly relies upon WiFi networks to keep itself cheap, although you can get actual data plans from them, which supplements WiFi usage. FreedomPop is a great deal from a cost perspective, although I'm not sure which network they piggyback off of to provide 3G/4G services. Look, for the price, it's not going to be as good as T-Mobile, Verizon, or AT&T, but you're bound to get decent service at worse, so it's definitely worth the price from what I know and have heard.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes, it did mention wifi, which is a good alternative here to cell service, since that is spotty throughout this neighborhood/area. I don't think it specified which networks it used for the cell service, but none here is outstanding, so it probably wouldn't matter much which it used, although T-Mobile does stand above the others somewhat, with regard to signal strength and connectivity. I do think the price is well worth the investment, and I like that unlike some of the lower end companies, it allows you to bring your own phone, at least in some cases.