Does AT&T's U-Verse internet require a phone line?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by pandandesign • Jan 2, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had internet at home for a while because most companies used to require to have a phone line in order to be able to use the internet service. I have heard AT&T's U-Verse is really fast and not sure if I need to have a phone line because I don't have a home phone service at home. I would like to find out before I give the U-Verse a try. Does anyone know AT&T's U-Verse require a phone line in order to use the internet?

2. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The easiest way to find that out is to either call them or visit their website.

There are a few internet providers that offer a service where you don't have to use a land line. Though, the set up for that typically takes a little longer then if you just had it run on your line.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, AT&T U-Verse doesn't use traditional phone lines anymore. It's all through their fiber optic lines. The phone service they offer as a part of U-Verse is basically internet based, not your old fashioned copper wire land line phone service. I don't believe you are required to purchase the phone service as part of their internet and TV services, I think it's optional. They will probably try to pitch it to you as a bundle though and trick you into getting it though.

This is an interesting point though, since many competing home security systems are also run through their old land lines. AT&T had to make those available to competitors, but now that their current home security product runs through their fiber optic lines, they can effectively neglect the copper lines on purpose to cripple their competitors services.

4. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    No. They use Fiber Optic technology these days. Similar to Centurylink. It isn't that fast though. They have a max 40mbs. While Time Warners Road Runner has a max of 100mbs. So i would choose Time Warner if they service your area.

5. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why 40 Mbps 'isn't that fast'. 6 Mbps is plenty fast for me. What do you need 40 Mbps transfer speed for?

On the topic of U-Verse, I heartily recommend it. I've had extensive dealings with two AT&T technicians as well, and I've had a great response with customer service as well. You don't need an active phone line at all, but you will need phone wiring from the box to wherever you're going to put the modem in the house. They're responsible for getting the wire to your house, though. After it has reached your house wall, the rest is up to you, but I find CAT5 twisted cable is just fine for an interference free line to the modem. Hit me up if you have any questions. One more thing, if you get a promotion with AT&T and the promotion ends after the time period, call them and try to get a better deal rather than just dealing with the 'new price'. It's totally worth it.

6. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    If you stream HD content via Netflix, or Hulu, or if you live in a house full of people who use the internet. You are going to need a 40mbps connection. Time Warner has a 100mbps connection. That is what i call ridiculous.