Does Brand Matter To You

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Taki • Jul 23, 2014.

1. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I could care less about the brand name of a product. I am interested in two things; price and quality. Big money is spent on promoting brand names and I feel that money could be better spent on improving the quality of a product as well as lowering the end cost for the consumer.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, price and quality are far more important than brand. To me, brand just matters for a few types of products, and that is strictly because I know and trust the brand's quality. For example, for appliances I will go for price, but I'll usually pick brands I know instead of ones I never heard about, because no matter the price for those I don't know about their quality. So for me brand is only to know about the product's quality and precedence.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly do not care about the brand. Most off-brands are just as good as name brand. There are things I will pay name brand like appliances because I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars on a dud. In the long run that isn't helping me. Food and clothes though I'll take off-brand. Like I said most of it is just as good with a much cheaper price tag.

4. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Brands matter to me with certain products. Like it or not, I have learned the hard way that brand name sometimes does mean higher quality. For example, my son's skin can only tolerate Pampers or Huggies diapers. He will break out in an off brand. So, I have to fork over the extra few dollars for the name splashed on the packaging. Its not fun but if it will keep my son from screaming later because of a diaper rash, I will gladly open my wallet.

I also do not like off-brand colas. I stick strictly with Coke. If I'm going to drink a cola, it needs to be the real thing.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also consider brand names in certain items too, because you get what you pay for, and the cheap ones really have inferior quality over the more expensive brands. Just like earphones for example. The branded ones like Sony, when handled carefully, last for many years as long as the cord the cord doesn't get badly snagged or smushed, but with cheap earphones, from my experience, they only last like several months, even with careful handling.

6. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    If a brand stands for quality I will definitely consider it before simply purchasing a generic, especially in the food realm. I eat mostly organic, non-gmo food anyway, so if you consider those trademarks (Non-GMO project, etc.) as brands, than I am very brand focused.

Outside of food, brands like Apple mean a lot to me...this is because the company is driven, and focused to serve core desires I hold true as well - performance, cutting edge, and utilitarian.

They shouldn't be the only things you look at, but they can be helpful to use as a starting point.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really care about brands except when it comes to things like hot dogs. By the time you get to the cheapest brand of hot dogs, it's basically like eating dog food and you're better off spending a little more on brand name all beef hot dogs instead of those 88 cent vinegary smelling hot dogs made of lips and hooves.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really care about brand, my main concern is quality. For the most part I have found the generic brands for a lot of things work well for me and I will buy them because I can save some money. If I don't like the generic brand I'm not going to buy it because I don't see the point in spending money on something I don't like. There are some things I am picky about and they're generally all food related, I buy almost all organic and there aren't many off brand choices for that so I usually have to spend the extra money unless there is a random sale.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on the product. For shoes and sneakers, I'm usually more careful with brand but for clothes I'm not all that concerned. I am careful with shoes because I want them to last as long as possible and even though I'm sure they are made in the same place as the fakes and cheap brands, which is most likely China, I still find it okay to pay more for a better brand because of the quality checks they put in place.

10. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on the product I'm about to buy. If I'm going to buy, let's say a phone, I would certainly pick the brands that I'm confident, most of the time the mainstream brands like Samsung, Nokia or Apple since I know that they would deliver quality products compared to other brands that are lesser known. However, if I'm going to buy let's say a detergent or a dishwashing soap, then I wouldn't mind picking the lesser known brands, most probably the cheaper ones.

11. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    Not really! If the product is good and functional, then the brand name does not matter. Also, I am not a very brand-centric person, I like trying out new things.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I tend to look at brand names before I buy. I only buy brands that I really trust, doesn't matter if it's more expensive than the other brands what matters is that I've used that brand before and I know that it works.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the same. I have no interest in brands at all. The main factor for me is always quality. I am happy to spend a little more money on a product if it does a good job.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not too fussed about brands or brand names, I will always consider off-brand products. Most of the time the quality is very comparable while the price is very different.
    Of course that on some items it's worth it to get the brand items if the quality difference is significant.

15. Kendra70422

Kendra70422New Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I'm with you I don't care much for the brand of the products I purchase, What I care about is the price and where I purchase it at. I wan't to have the best deal on products and buy it only from stores I have visited already. Dollar Tree is the store I tend to look forward to each time I go shopping because everything is marked at a dollar each and you cannot go wrong with this deal. Just think about how much you will save if you did all your shopping at the Dollar Tree plus they are helping the economy and people that are in recession.

16. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    It honestly depends. If I am buying something such as a keyboard I would definitely choose a well known mechanical keyboard brand rather than a off-brand Chinese rip-off. As for things such as t-shirts or casual wear, I don't mind wearing an uncommon brand or off-brand.