Does everyone enjoy meals with their family at their family table?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by brittanyt28 • May 15, 2013.

1. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    I try to enforce this myself. My children and I sit at the table together any night we can. They eat at the dinner table regardless but sometimes when we have baseball practices, etc, we have to do a rushed dinner. I do feel it's very important to eat with our families as much as possible. Does anyone else enforce this in their home?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not at this time. It's not that I don't believe in it, it's just that my current apartment, which I hate, has a small, awkward layout and no room for a dining table. So I eat meals while working at my desk and my daughter eats meals in front of her laptop computer.
    When we move, we're planning to buy a dining table so that we can sit together at meals like a TV sitcom family. :)

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Last week we took my father to a Maltese restaurant for his birthday and it was the first time the entire family had eaten together in about 20 years! I live with my father and we rarely eat art the same time except for Christmas dinner and the occasional Sunday roast, and even then he has his own little trolley that he eats his food on.

4. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever we all are in the house at the same time, we always have meals together. It's just how we grew up. And besides, my family get along really well and we rarely have arguments while having meals. That's what I miss the most now that I'm living overseas. But good thing though that every week, my husband's family have meals together. :D

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my mom was alive, eating together at the dinner table was enforced, but now that she's gone, we can eat pretty much anywhere and anytime we want. My dad doesn't really care where and when we eat, we can eat in front of the tv, the pc, in our room, etc.

6. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    Yes, these days it's a lot different. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing when people don't do it, it's just crazy how the world has changed so much in twenty or thirty years. I always think of black and white, Pleasantville with a ton of waffles, pancakes and bacon. Nobody is perfect like that of course, but famiy is a wonderful thing to have, and I was raised to sit at the table with my family. Goodluck to everyone!

7. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    My grandfather was like that. He liked to eat in his special chair when he watched Cops, and everytime I hear the song Bad Boys, I think of him!

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I used to, but seeing that the core family's schedule got more frantic as the time went by, we all eat at different times, so i usually just sit in front of the laptop to enjoy watching some series.

9. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    A lot of people I know are not in a habit of doing this anymore. However, I do. For one not only is does it show your family manners but also it keeps less creatures from crawling around the house. You know from crumbs from dinner plates dropping on the floor. Ants are quick to crawl out of corners quick to pick up something sticky.

10. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend and I enjoy dinner together every night. We eat in the living room in front of the TV, though. I would definitely try to enforce the dinner table thing more if we had children.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, enforce sounds a bit strong lol.. no enforcing necessary. We do eat together, it's one of the ways we bond and share our days. Although it's not always around a table. Sometimes it's crowded on my bed watching a movie or last night it was around a fire out back. I love dinner with my family.

12. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    My parent are very particular about eating together. I remember that no matter how late you went home, you need to wake up early so you can eat together. It's a must. As much as possible you need to eat together all the time. We talk, tell stories about how each our day was. I think it brings our family closer.

13. Sondra

SondraNew Member

Threads:
    Yes i enjoy doing dinner together on one table it makes the whole family come together and shares there experience with each other it's really a great fun.

#13Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  14. pxyc

pxycNew Member

Threads:
    Yep we eat together almost every night. My mom always calls my brother and me from wherever we are to eat dinner. I like it, it's a nice way to discuss what happened that day and other things that may be going on.

15. churchies

churchiesNew Member

Threads:
    Being of East Asian (Chinese) descent, my parents ALWAYS have us eat together no matter what the time is. If my dad/mum is out working late, we wait until he/she comes home before we all start eatting, I guess it is enjoyable as you get to spend time talking with your family BUT MAN some times I feel like I can eat a horse after waiting for so long.