Does 'Listing IPs in Your HOSTS-File' Speed-Up Your Browsing? #akamaihd #fbstatic #HOSTS #IPs

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by mythman • Apr 22, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    There's a problem I have with a CDN (content delivery network) that Facebook uses, and it's more widely-spread than 'just me' (as

shows).

I might want to go see

, but I think that they (breaking a cardinal rule of the Internet---something about 'never sending to one machine what you don't HAVE put together on your own single machine) h@ck-together with each other & with social networks to 'deliver' the 'content' from many distant machines to the browser "calling for it."

The way I understand it (

) your browser 'calls for' an IP by its URL (the address), and that call goes to a TCP (transfer control program) to be matched-up with the right IP. I'm not sure how that works, but I'm thinking it takes longer if the IP you're looking for is 'another program connected to a whole-mess of IPs.'

So Facebook runs very-slowly on MY computer, but it's super-fast on computers at

. So either they just have better computers or -better connections, and/OR they have akamaihd's IP(s) listed on their HOSTS-file---that's a file on your computer listing IPs-matched-with-URLs.

What's a good IP to use for Facebook's CDN?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't seem to get that thread to open up, so I am not entirely sure what your problem is.

In a more general sense though, the concept behind CDN's covers a few different things. It's main purpose is to speed up the delivery of a web site to you, by mirroring copies of it's files across a large network of servers all over the US and the world. Then when you make a request to view that site, it instantaneously chooses the fastest path through it's network of mirrored copies of the site to deliver it to you. The other added benefit of using a CDN is that it helps fight off against DDOS attacks. If a hacker is trying to take down their site, it's really only hitting up one mirror of the site on their network, so the rest of the copies of the site continue to work fine for everyone else, so the CDN is able to isolate the attack without it affecting most other people, until they are able to stop it.

As to why Facebook is running slow on your computer but fast on other computers at the library could be a whole host of issues. You may perhaps have some browser extensions that are interfering with your Facebook connections, your computer may have some sort of malware/adware or even a trojan/virus which is intercepting your Facebook traffic in some way. There could in fact already be some entries in your Hosts file doing this.

The IP address that Facebook sees for you is determined by your internet provider, not you. The only way you can change that somewhat is to use a proxy service, but those will slow your connection down even further at the expense of privacy, unless you go with a paid service. And even those still cause some loss in speed.

I would suggest running several scans with programs such as Malwarebytes, and AVG first. Then try disabling all of your browser extensions and re-visiting Facebook to see if that helps.

You can also take a peek at your Hosts file. You need to go into Folder Options from your Windows Control Panel first though and enable hidden files first though, so you can see it. Then visit C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc and look for the file called "hosts". Right click on it and choose to open it with Notepad. If you see any entries for facebook.com or

with an IP address beside them that you do not recognize, there is your problem. You can delete them then reboot, and see if that helps. Depending on your security settings, you might need to right click on the Hosts file first and change the file permissions to allow it to be Written to as well. In some cases, you will also need to launch Notepad as an Administrator first, from the File menu in Notepad navigate to the Hosts file then open it. Otherwise you may be blocked from editing or saving the Hosts file.

One other possible option, if you weren't the one who set up your router, but rather someone else maintains it - they could have purposefully changed some settings on there to throttle your connection to Facebook for some reason. Though this is unlikely.