Does Paying In Cash For Your Groceries Help?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Oct 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you've made your budget for the week. You've done that for years and usually you never go wrong. Everything you'll NEED for the week has been is on your shopping list. But when you get in the store, guess what?

There's this product a friend told you about and since you can pay for it [with your credit card] you make a last-minute adjustment to your budget to include this product which you didn't need.

The reason for buying something not on your list could be different. Don't you think, to avoid impulse purchases you should carry only the exact amount of cash you need with only a slight allowance [for price fluctuations]?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use cash for small items like a chocolate bar, I always use a card as I can track the purchases. Some people prefer cash, but it can help with people that can't budget or who have no self control. For people who can cards are better, so you know how much you've spent in a month. When I have used cash, I wasn't able to keep track of everything I spent and how much.

The other factor is someone giving you the wrong change and having to check your change before you leave which adds more pressure on the shopping trip. In the UK you have to pack your own bags and keep an eye on the till, so it's not always easy if you shop alone.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It can help if you really don't have the money for the extra purchase. I personally don't do that because I am a deal shopper, once I have finished my list, I check for deals on things I use all the time so I can stock up while they are on sale. That way I save money in the long run, even if one weeks groceries are higher. Stores do like it if you pay in cash because it saves them the credit card fee they have to pay for each transaction.

4. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    This is a really interesting idea!

I usually come out of the grocery store wondering how I manage to spend as much money as I do. I do agree that cards are easier for keeping track, and you don't have to worry about miscalculating. Still, I might try this out. However, the thought of leaving home without my debit card makes me nervous, so I'll bring it along in case I messed something up.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    When grocery shopping I really try to use cash because if I don't just like you mentioned I will end up spending more than I should. And it happens almost every time unless I truly only have a certain amount of money that I CAN'T go over. But in that case, I would just take out cash.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use cash. This way, I know that I will not go overboard my grocery shopping. :)

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not, I'd rather not miss a really good deal because I didn't have enough. I also wouldn't want to have to go back to the store for that one specific item that most likely has a deadline on the sale. If anything, I'd budget five or six dollars less than what I'm carrying for those add ons.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that I am kind of the other way around, when I have cash on me, I tend to spend it a lot quicker because I make small purchases here and there that I otherwise normally wouldn't make. There are still many stores and businesses that will not take credit card purchases unless they are more than $5 or $10, in which case if I see something small I am considering getting, I will pass on it, because I don't want to buy a bunch of other junk just to hit the $10 mark.

I am also more prone to hitting the drive through window at some fast food joint if I am running errands and carrying cash on me, or throw some in an instant lotto machine, grab an ice cream cone, make a donation to something, etc... it all adds up at the end of the day. Another reason is merely safety - if some drifter starts heckling me for money, I simply explain I only carry my credit cards, and if they are nearby when I am making a transaction, they won't see a wad of money in my wallet.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, I don't. I think that would just lead me to unnecessary embarrassment of needing to put items back. Or that I would just have to go back to the store to get items later because sometimes I really DO end up forgetting something and needing to grab it while I'm there.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do really think that paying cash and having a list of what to get from the grocery will let one a big time savings and time. These two are the most important factor that we should always consider. But also I would suggest that bring a little extra cash for a little of the extra item from the grocery. It's not bad to try a new item or two from the grocery. But give in to your impulses to really buy just anything you feel like you'd be doing really good with and that you will smooth out all the extra cash you brought with you. Well, you can do it, but make sure that you don't bring that a lot of extra cash.