Does The Greek Situation Put You Off A Holiday There?

Discussion in Travel started by Theo • Jun 29, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Greek financial crisis has put tourism in jeopardy, prices may go up but as the banks are are closed for a week as from today, would you go?

I wonder if the tour operators are cutting prices for holidays there or are people canceling holidays? Would you go knowing that you can only draw put so much money abroad or places may be closed?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I would never want to travel anywhere that was unstable in any way, because you always risk either prices changing, hotels or resorts closing down, or airlines being unable to fulfil your booking or give you your money back. But then again, I am not all that much of a risk taker, as anyone who has read my posts on here will already know. I like to play it safe for the majority of the time. There is always the chance that somewhere that is in financial difficulty will have great offers available, and if that is the case then you could have a fantastic cheap break away, but there is always risk with it, and I wouldn't be prepared to take that risk at all, ever.

3. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on how long I would be staying in the region. If it was only a day trip where I had already had everything ready to go back out, I would go. However, if the trip was going to be several days I would be cautious because it is going to easily lead to the hotels closing or even people robbing a tourist because they have what could be perceived as a lot of money.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wherever there is a crisis be it economic or political what generally follows in its wake is a spike in crime or anarchy ensues. I believe though that the outcome of the referendum could either change things positively or make them worse. But whilst the Greeks "fix" their problems it would be wise to stay out of the country.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No is my answer to the thread title. For me, it is even an opportune time to visit Greece. When the economy is down, the cost of everything goes down so I suppose it is nice to have a holiday there. We have plans of going to Cambodia for a tour upon the invitation of a friend. And we think we would enjoy because their economy is lower than ours. That means our money has more value.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Currently no one knows when the banks will re-open, so all travelers are advised to take plenty of cash with them. The only thing is that makes them more of a target for theft.

It shouldn't put people off on holiday, however with protests going on and discontent in the air, in certain places it may not be so relaxing or peaceful. At least there are credit cards still, but for those who need cash and run out things may become an issue.

7. Corzhens

Threads:
    That's my idea too that tourists should not be turned off by the economic condition of the country, particularly Greece, because you bring in your own money. What turns us off is the peace and order condition. Like that in Thailand where Martial law is prevailing, we put off our travel plans for the moment, waiting for the political climate to simmer down.

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't go to Greece or Mexico right now.
    Although if Greece defaults, you might be able to pick up a few weeks on an island for next to nothing.

9. Corzhens

Threads:
    There is an advertisement of Tunisia that was posted in one forum. It says that would you not go to New York just because of that 9/11 incident? And would you not go to London because of that bombed that exploded in a double decker bus? Tunisia is being ravaged by the rebels. And would I go to Tunisia in response to that call for tourists? No way.

10. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely not go there right now. Anything can jump off and vacations require money. It would be so frustrating not to be able to get to money to live, in a strange land.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As the situation stands, from reports, shops and businesses aren't trading as they can't buy goods as they have no money to pay for imports. In the UK they are even discussing what to do if tourists get stranded there because of the lack of money available in the banks.

It's a dire time for the citizens and while people may want to go on holiday, it's hard to enjoy yourself when people are worried and shops are closed. I heard a shop owner had to let his staff go as he can't pay them. Unfortunately this was bound to happen one day and I do hope that it gets resolved as Greece needs tourism to survive.

12. gh0st233

gh0st233Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it definitely does. I wanted to go on a vacation there and the prices were pretty cheap, but as the situation stands, I wouldn't risk it. I just want to go on a vacation, have a good time, and get back safely without any problems. As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to visit Greece sometime and especially the Athens and the Santorini Island, but until the situation gets improved, that will have to be delayed.

13. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely! I am quite a cautious person when it comes to travel anyway. I would worry about the costs going up and down, the citizens having riots and protests and travel arrangements being cancelled. It's a shame because I love Greece.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ryanair have got seats to Greece going for 5 Euros. They tried to do it for free, but the airports in Greece would not allow them tax exemptions. The motto is 'Keep Greece flying.'

Right now Greece has agreed to the deal which means the VAT on the islands will double, so the cost of a holiday will go up there. I do think it may deter people from going or maybe spending money on things like dining out or boat trips.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Greece's economy has been hit hard and as a result people are withdrawing every last bit of money in the atm machines. Some are even hoarding food from stores. I would say that for me, it is not yet the proper time to go to such a place. If people there are struggling for money and even their daily needs, chances are that tourists will also be affected. Maybe after they have resolved the crisis, tourists will have an easier time travelling there.