Does the Media Heavily Influence Your Smartphone Purchases?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by TPhoenix • Oct 23, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Whether it's watching or reading the news and finding out about a certain smartphone/app or catching the product placement in a television show or movie, how often does the media heavily influence your decision to buy a smartphone or download an app? Would you say it helps you decide or it completely has you make up your mind on which phone/app you are going to go after?

#1Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I feel no media influence in my smartphone related purchases. I browse the net all day and read plenty of tech related news where I see all the new 'hot' hardware and software - still, all I bought was the phone that I needed and no apps apart of a select few that I really use. I feel it's the younger people, the ones that compete for social status through buying new tech, that are the main target for media advertising in this case.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. Never cared about product placement in movies/tv shows. I always buy whatever is the best price/quality/performance option. I don't really need a powerful smartphone anyway, since I mostly only use it for calls, web and music, so the 1.2Ghz dualcore I have right now is probably better than I can ever make use of.. :)

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm personally not influenced by the media when it comes to smartphone purchases. I don't absolutely have to get something just because it's all over the place. If it seems interesting to me, I'll get it, if it doesn't, I won't, pretty simple!

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd only buy a smartphone when I need one and quite obviously I wouldn't get one which the media is trying to get people to buy unless it's cheap but in most cases such phones tend to be somewhat pricey so I avoid them.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I paid $350 for an unlocked brand new LG Nexus 5 from the Google Play Store with a Snapdragon 800 chip, 2.3 GHz Krait processor, 2GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage, and compatibility with all US carriers except Verizon. It's the only non-foreign phone designed with CDMA/GSM compatibility in one model, although the Nexus 6 is bringing that same feature in a couple weeks. The Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 tablet are the first devices to receive the Android 5.0L update, although the Nexus 6 phone and 9 tablet come with the new OS already installed.

Basically, I got a phone with the specs of a $700 smartphone for $350 and it's the best device I've owned so far, until I grab myself a Nexus 6!

7. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I think media plays a big role in almost every aspect of our life nowadays. And Smartphones apps are just a part of that. If if see something advertised too often, I am inclined to check it out even if the ads are annoying.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it influences my mind any more than just informing me that the product is available, what it does and if it will be of some benefit to me in comparison to its competition.

9. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    The media does have some influence in the way I use my smartphone. Articles on how to stay safe online with your BlackBerry would make me re-consider the way I have been using my phone. Reviews on how to use the m-banking features more efficiently would help me decide whether I would apply for the m-banking feature with my bank or not. Articles comparing Android users and Apple phone users would influence the way I consider my phone psychology. But I would not buy a new phone based on articles and user stories on the media, or based on reviews alone. I would go and do the research on my own, check for the items online, look for discounts and deals, and then make the purchase.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The media doesn't influence my smartphone purchases. I resisted buying a smartphone for years. I'm in need of a new smartphone and I do my own research. I'm cheap. I just can't see paying $700 for a phone. All the hype doesn't sway my decision.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The media has absolutely no influence on me whatsoever, simply because I never pay it any attention. My smartphone is only a tool for me, that I switch off as soon as I don't need it anymore. As for downloading apps, I have only got a handful that are essential to my work and communication with friends and family. I have never been interested in playing any of the games, or spending a lot of time for recreational purposes on my phone.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not at all, my phone is not advertised by the Samsung. I have a Samsung Mega Note, that I like a lot. The average screen size on a phone is too small. You have to still have your phone and a tablet. I have both in one device and a good size screen.

13. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I daresay it has an impact, since my phones are mainly from Samsung, but there are other much more important factors, such as cost-to-performance ratio (much better than Apple), usability, and features. The fact that it is recommended by many other people as well helps to reinforce my purchasing decision.

The branding may help to an extent, but with so many smartphone makers around people can rapidly switch to another if the quality drops.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It doesn't really affect me much in my smartphone purchases because I have very specific design tastes when it comes to my mobile devices. It's often made it hard for me to find my own perfect device because most of the popular ones don't appeal to me at all even when I know that they are good pieces of hardware on paper. Thankfully nowadays there's just so many choices that I don't find myself limited anymore.