Does Walmart Condone Racism?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mythman • Mar 8, 2016.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Apparently not, as

says NOTHING about "race" (the closest it gets is 'gender'---44.3% male, 55.7% female ... over four years ago) .

But their

does ask the survey-taker's race-classification---even asking a separate question about whether one is classified as Hispanic/Latino.

Personally, I usually respond 'prefer not to answer' on those two- and on the income-questions. But I'm curious---does Walmart publish the race-info anywhere?

2. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Why do you need race info for Walmart? Considering that they are everywhere, I am sure that everyone uses them irrespective of race. I mean I used to live in a small town in Virginia, and Walmart was the only useful place there.

Anyways, here is the data that you need, scroll to the very bottom:

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they are more looking to see which people buy which types of products, down to the specific products. That helps them to project which items they need to stock more or less of and which additional products might do well, based on the demographics of shoppers. Walmart is not the only one who has added the category of whether someone is Hispanic and the various sub-categories. Walmart is in the business of making money, and I doubt they discriminate in taking white dollars versus black dollars, versus white Hispanic dollars, black Hispanic dollars, native american dollars vs. Inuit dollars.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you've ever participated in any paid surveys, they almost always ask what race you are - and more specifically if you are Hispanic or not. I don't think there is anything nefarious about doing so, but rather they are likely just trying to adjust their product offerings and marketing to tailor to their primary demographics, or attract demographics they have less of currently.

I've seen a similar variance at grocery chains such as Save-A-Lot, where one store might carry products that another location doesn't. It often seems tied to the neighborhoods a given location is at, and the demographics of that area.