Dogs and clothing

Discussion in Pets started by isabbbela • May 31, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dog is on the thin side, and he doesn't have a lot of fur in him, so I got him a little outfit which is pretty cozy and loose so he won't feel confined. I thought he liked it, since he didn't try getting it off or scratching it. So imagine my surprise when I wake up at 6 am to find him without his clothing on! He got it off by himself in the middle of the night! I don't know how he managed to get it off by himself, but I found the clothing over the couch in the living room...

I know many dogs hate wearing clothes, so I would like to ask you if your dog (if you have one) is OK with wearing clothes and if not, what do you do to keep it warm in the cold?

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I have a dachshund. Yes, the one in the avatar. I only put clothes on her when they are needed, going outside when it's cold. Otherwise, the house temperature is fine. Weenie dogs are also burrowers, so she will burrow under covers, whether she is cold or not. But it's an added bonus if she is.

When she first got her coat, she was puzzled as the dogs with hair so to speak, don't need one. But momma wears a coat, so it soon made sense to her, and it felt GOOD since it was cold. So long story short, she loves it and appreciates it because it keeps her warm. I never put it on her unless it's cold, and outside.

Hope this helps. :)

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dog weighs about 10 pounds and he will sometimes wear his sweater without problems, or sometimes he'll take it off. If he takes off his sweater, I just put it back on.
    He doesn't have long enough fur or enough body fat to run around in the cold without a sweater. Like many small dogs, he shivers when it's cold, so when I find his sweater on the floor, I put it back on.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We have few dogs but none of them ever wore clothing. Though it gets cold in the night since our village is next to a mountain but they would still refuse it if we put anything on on them. We just prepare a big box with few warm blankets as a liner for them to sleep on in the night and they are pretty much happy with that.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a tropical country, so putting clothes on animals is only common during special events dedicated to pets or in Halloween parties, etc. As for me, I have never placed any type of clothing on our dog or cat. I did try putting our cat on a leash, and he was pretty behaved when I was watching him, but when I went away for a few minutes, I came back and I saw him trying to get the leash out of his neck! So needless to say I did not try to put a leash on him again. He might strangle himself! I just got inspired to do it when I saw a cat that was pretty well behaved wearing a leash in the small store that I used to go to.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never put clothes on my pets because I live in a very warm climate and I would just worry too much if I ever dressed my dog just in case he is feeling hot in it but couldn't tell me. I'd maybe make an exception if it gets extremely cold, as it does sometimes, but I'd only do so after seeing some evidence that this is the case, but otherwise, I'd just trust his overall design and hope that the fur will be enough to keep him safe. If I lived in a colder country, I'd maybe consider it more, but even then, I'd still think it over many times because I'd still worry if the pet is comfortable or not.