Dollar Brand Snacks, Have You Had It?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Jasmine2015 • Oct 23, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    There are times when I have tried the dollar store brand of snacks to save money. Sometimes it is OK and sometimes it's not. For one thing I will never buy dollar brand cookies again. Although I will get the box of brownies or swiss rolls. I guess for me it is a hit or miss. Do you like all dollar brand snacks or just some?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess snacks can be hit and miss. I did have some fudge brownies from Family Dollar and they were not good. However, Dollar Tree garden crackers and thins are good and also their selection of chips. It does vary with what stock they have, but in general there are some good brands and flavors

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They only problem I have with dollar brand snacks and munchies, is a lot of times, it seems like it is very unhealthy full of trans fats and what not. Of course some of the items you pay more for have that as well. That being said, I like Dollar Tree's Mrs. Freshley's brand it is really quite good. I haven't gotten any of the Family Dollar Tree snacks. I do buy them at Dollar General though..and they are OK, nothing to write home about. I do like their salted carmel cookies though.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Since CVS came to town there is $1 snacks and they are all good. I just watch the sugar they have and cholesterol and was surprised that the numbers are quite good on these dollar snacks. They taste okay and just a dollar is all it costs. I like to look for healthy snacks like peas snack and guess what to my surprise a local rice cracker wholesaler started to pkg. $1 snacks, better yet and I find them at CVS! Love snacks to a fault too!!! :rolleyes:

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's definitely hit or miss, especially with places like Dollar Tree or Dollar General.

Dollar Tree does carry both off brand as well as branded snacks, so I generally only get the branded snacks there and for the most part avoid any of the non-brand/off brand snacks. Most of the times when I've tried any of their off brand snacks, they were often stale as soon as I opened them.

Family Dollar however carries their own knock off of Girl Scout Cookies, which are fantastic. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the company who make the real Girl Scout Cookies also manufactures them for Family Dollar as well - they're that similar, if not the real deal.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've purchased snacks at Dollar Tree. I don't shop at Dollar General or Family Dollar, because I feel if a store is advertising itself as a 'dollar' store, everything should be a dollar. Yes, I'm persnickety. I like being able to just count the number of items in my shopping cart and knowing that's the number of dollars I'll be spending. I mainly shop at Dollar Tree for specific items. I buy many of my shipping envelopes there, and they have great deals on cards. I sometimes pick up a few frozen foods there if I'm coming straight home, and I will occasionally splurge on a package of what I consider junk food. Because I consider it junk food, I don't care all that much about the nutritional aspect, since I assume it's bad for me.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally do not get the dollar snacks because them seem to have more air in the bag than the brand name snacks. It may be my imagination but the bags just seem to be smaller or the amount of product in the bag is less, I have looked at the weight of each and they are the same weight.

8. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I think that I try new snacks from the dollar store one at a time because they are a hit or miss. You can't complain over losing a dollar, but you can complain when it becomes much more than that. We all know that you go in the dollar store for one thing and come out with 20. Those should not all be snacks especially the ones that you are not too sure about.

9. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I have purchased a few of the dollar brand snacks and found that I am a snack snob. I expect the same flavor from dollar brand snacks as I do from name brand snacks and they are never going to be exactly the same. The dessert type snacks seem drier and stale and the chips and crackers just don't have the same flavor. If I have the money for snacks I prefer to buy brand name and spend a few cents more. If I don't have the money I make my own. Homemade chips and crackers are as flavorful as I like and you can't beet homemade sweets.