Dollar General Market

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by suzeysplace • Jul 9, 2012.

1. suzeysplace

suzeysplaceNew Member

Threads:
    Do you have one in your area, and if so, do you shop there? We noticed one the other day which isn't too far from where we live, but was wondering if I could get some feedback on someone that has actually shopped at Dollar General Market and if so, would you consider their grocery items to be of good quality? What about their prices? I've shopped at a Dollar General Store before, just mostly for things like dish liquid, shampoo or something like that, but haven't grocery shopped there before. Thanks for any input you may have!

2. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I did not know about these! So it's just like a Dollar General grocery store? Must be a new thing.

For what it's worth, the Dollar General store has decent grocery items and prices (although you do have to watch the sizes because it seems most everything is slighty smaller). But I am not crazy about their Clover Valley line of foods (generic). Some generic items are OK, but I don't really like theirs.

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    They just re-did our Dollar General. Its right across the street from me, and I admit I get bored and frequent there often. I like the fact that I keep getting the $5/$20 coupon. It helps me stretch a dollar. I notice in our area that the dairy items and "meats" are delivered often, so I think everything is fresh and has good rotation. I can't beat the price on Milk, snacks, coffee, cereal, lunch meat, and even breads..... SO yeah I can stock up there.

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    We have something like this, though it's not exactly a dollar each item (more like $2 if converted). It's more of a Japanese grocery store, actually, so all of their items are from Japan. That's where I usually go to get my Japanese fix :D. Like, melon cream soda... Yum!

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Same here. I didn't even know they existed! I don't really like buying groceries at the normal DG store, but I'm guessing there are different standards at the grocery store variety.

6. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    We have one close to where I live and I find it convenient to get something small that I might need and is not carried by the local grocery store. There is a Sav-A-Lot in town and while they are perfectly fine some of the toiletry items like deodorant and a few other things are a little lacking so I will stop in the dollar general for a few things like that.

7. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I have never heard of a Dollar General Market, is it different from the Dollar General store? I have gotten some groceries at Dollar General and other $1 stores and have never had a bad experience there. I am on a fixed income and anyway that I can save money without starving myself is a welcome relief! I like the fact that I can get cheese, lunchmeat and even some frozen stuff there. Sure they are usually only enough for one, but that's perfect since I live alone (unless you count my fur-kids lol)

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I visited Dollar General Market for the first time last week and I was very surprised. I didn't expect the size or layout of the grocery store portion or to see such a selection of fresh produce items. I bought twp pounds of asparagus for $1.50! That is almost unheard of! The prices make me a little suspicious about where the food came from and how healthy it might be (organic vs not, etc.), but I enjoyed my asparagus!

9. attagirl

attagirlNew Member

Threads:
    We have a Dollar General Market here. And there are some items that we buy only from there, as we walk and it is one of the closest to where we live. Most of the prices are very reasonable, and they usually have what we are looking for in stock. We also frequent another store across the street, but they have other things that Dollar General Market does not carry. They are a small market mixed with the regular Dollar General store. Some of the things that we can get at a great price are the Frozen Chicken breasts and thighs. They are one of the lowest prices we have seen on those yet, and you get a decent amount for the dollar. They have fruits and vegetables, frozen foods, canned goods, Salsa (one of very favorite brands), as well as lunch meats, coffee, and many other items you would not expect.